PDA

View Full Version : Sharetool and secure WAN Disk syncs (seems to work)

kingsinger
2008-10-17, 01:41 PM
Well, I decided to try Sharetool. The trial copy of the software allows you to connect for 15 minutes, which is ample time to test out syncing.

I couldn't get it to work with a Bonjour Sync, not sure why. Maybe there's some sort of beacon that OF is putting out to the LAN that this software isn't sending across the WAN in the tunnel.

Notwithstanding that, I did successfully do a secure WAN disk sync via Sharetool.

I feel like I tried doing something similar a while ago by mounting AFP in an SSH tunnel, and I got a sync error.

But this time, in limited testing it did work.

Maybe everyone is already doing this successfully. But sharetool was super easy to set up (just enable upnp on your router and push a button). It would cost $30 to connect to computers together this way, but compared to Mobileme, it's a lot cheaper in the long run.

I wish Omni could maybe work with these folks to figure out what it would take to make the native omni Bonjour sync work securely across the WAN with this software.

KS

navdeepbains
2008-10-17, 08:01 PM
Hello,

This is Navdeep Bains from Yazsoft. I happened to run across this thread and thought I would try out the OmniFocus syncing feature with ShareTool.

The Bonjour syncing appears to work fine through ShareTool after you do the following:

1) Once connected in ShareTool, click on the "Add" button at the top of the window and select the OmniFocus service. It should be listed under "_ofocus_sync._tcp."

2) If you want OmniFocus services to be automatically added whenever you connect to your home/office network, add "_ofocus_sync._tcp." to the service type list in the "Connect" tab of the Preferences window.

3) The remote service should now appear in OmniFocus. It will look like:
Name@Machine at Home

I'll make sure the service type name gets cleaned up for the next ShareTool update.

I apologize for hijacking the thread. If you run into any problems, please let us know at the Yazsoft forums:
http://www.yazsoft.com/f/

Thanks,
Navdeep Bains

kingsinger
2008-10-20, 03:07 PM
Just FYI, I did the stuff Navdeep suggested, and while I could then see the bonjour sync source as active, the sync itself failed. I've followed up with him on this. With luck, perhaps he'll have more to say.

KS