PDA

View Full Version : Zooming in on minutes

mjuengling
2006-07-27, 10:06 PM
At work I'm responsible for quality planning and process governance (quality, production and assembly processes). Processes seem to be far away from projects, but for me they aren't.
Why?

A project is time, task, cost and resource driven, a process, IMHO, is driven by the same requirements. Finally an end date (time) for both, of course.

The differences: A project needs often more time, than a process. A process depends on minutes, while days (weeks, months) are a good choice to show a project.

What I want: Put my process tasks into OmniPlan, set the timelines for the tasks (minutes are the choice) and then compare them with all the other depending processes.
With the build in resource categories I'm able to show what kind of documentation is needed for a single process task, or the whole process.

Yes, I know well, this is not what OmniPlan is build for, but with it's simplicity it makes such thoughts easy.

In short: A time driven process description, where minutes are the basic unit.

Hope someone's understandig me... ;-)

terryg
2006-07-27, 10:19 PM
Do you mean you'd like to specify a duration in minutes or seconds? For instance:

"task" .... 30s (for a 30-second "process").

I am doing this, but in order to be able to display things this way, I had to open the "Project:Formatting" inspector and check the "seconds" and "minutes" checkboxen.

Note that for a given "process" consisting of "sub-processes" (my quotes, thinking in analogous terms to "task" and "children") I had to enter the "child tasks," set their duration, and then "connect" them all manually (select them all, use the "connect" function) in order to achieve a valid duration for the "master process" (aka "group").

I could be completely wrong in my approach (create dependents "looks" the same on screen), but I hope someone's understanding me too!

mjuengling
2006-07-27, 10:29 PM
Yes, I understand what you mean and I think, we speak of the same matter.

I've found the duration checkboxes already, but what I mean is the display in the gantt chart. There I can only get in details for a day. In the right corner of the gantt chart is the zooming util. Smallest unit is day.

terryg
2006-07-28, 03:31 AM
right - I have the same concern as you, then. If I'm creating a 'group' consisting of 'tasks' that last 30 seconds, it's quite difficult to see that structure in the Gantt chart. I think you and I (and others?) are looking for a way to zoom that view.