PDA

View Full Version : downloads by date

macsterdam
2006-07-30, 10:02 AM
When downloading files with Shiira or Safari (with the SafariStand plugin), files are automatically put in folders that are tidied by date. I was wondering if you're planning to add a similar feature in OW as well?

(I couldn't find if this was mentioned/requested earlier)

JKT
2006-07-30, 11:30 AM
I would say probably not as it would most likely conflict with the ability to pick the download folder on a domain specific basis. E.g. all images I download from NASA go to a JPEGs folder which is used to rotate my desktop. If this feature was added, then I would lose that specificity (and I would also end up with hundreds of dated folders). One way around it, I suppose, would be to only use dated folders in the default download folder and not in any site-specific ones but that just adds a level of complexity that might not be easy to follow.

Len Case
2006-07-30, 11:36 AM
Another possibility would be to make the dated folders inside whichever download folder applies and to have whether or not to use dated folders also be a site-preference.

We won't be adding this for 5.5 but it certainly seems like a reasonable feature for a future release.

macsterdam
2006-07-30, 01:30 PM
Thanks! Nice to read it's considered. Thanks for the wonderful browser btw!!

afb
2006-07-30, 06:40 PM
This can be done with folder actions (applescripts) or with a launch services (or cron) task.

Stormchild
2006-07-30, 07:30 PM
I would say probably not as it would most likely conflict with the ability to pick the download folder on a domain specific basis.

Wow, somehow I never noticed I could set different download folders for each site. How long has that been there?

JKT
2006-07-30, 10:37 PM
Since 5.0 (earlier if you include the betas and sneaky peeks).