PDA

View Full Version : Inheriting Styles

Jeff Cross
2006-10-02, 12:40 PM
I'm having some problems and was not able to discover what I want to know from the documentation. I love how styles work in OO, but I'm having problems getting styles to change across an entire selection. It seems that if I manually change one item, I can't globally change it later. When I attempt to select an entire column, for example, and apply a font change, some items inside the selection change, yet others do not.

This is probably one of those RTFM, learn the app kinds of things, but I can't seem to get my head around the behavior.

Can someone please enlighten me?

Thanks in advance,

jeff

DerekM
2006-10-03, 12:33 PM
Hi Jeff-

Global changes will always be overwritten by more local styles. What you can do is select the whole column, then go Format -> Clear style and this will remove any local styles applied in the column. Local styles being anything applied to just part of the text in a column, or to that whole particular row.

If you need more help dealing with this, let me know.

--
Derek M.
Support Ninja
The Omni Group

Jeff Cross
2006-10-03, 06:02 PM
Hi Jeff-

Global changes will always be overwritten by more local styles. What you can do is select the whole column, then go Format -> Clear style and this will remove any local styles applied in the column. Local styles being anything applied to just part of the text in a column, or to that whole particular row.

If you need more help dealing with this, let me know.

--
Derek M.
Support Ninja
The Omni Group

Oh that's great. I'll give it a try right now. In Apple's iWork / Pages, you can override the local style by double clicking on the style list. I know you don't really work like that, but perhaps some kind of option + apply change will overwrite local as well as global style.

Anyhow, hopefully, this will make my request a low priority.