PDA

View Full Version : PDF again

Steven Folberg
2006-11-09, 10:53 AM
Hi,

I just registered OmniWeb. I would like to have PDF's appear in the browser window; right now they download to the desktop and display in Preview, which is my default PDF viewer.

I tried installing the free PDF plugin by "Schubert" at the root level of Library/Internet Plugins and restarting. The PDF Plugin shows up checked off in OW's plug-in window, and I've disabled Adobe Reader's plug in in the AR Internet pref's pane, but still, PDF's download to the deskop andd open in Preview. Am I missing something?

Also, can OW use the system spell checker to underline misspelled words in form fields?

Thank you,

Steve

JKT
2006-11-09, 12:12 PM
Are you on an Intel Mac? If so, the SchubertIT plug-in is not Universal and will not work unless you run OmniWeb as a PPC application in Rosetta.

Spelling - yes. Go to the Edit menu>Spelling and select Check spelling as you type.

Steven Folberg
2006-11-09, 02:11 PM
Are you on an Intel Mac? If so, the SchubertIT plug-in is not Universal and will not work unless you run OmniWeb as a PPC application in Rosetta.

Spelling - yes. Go to the Edit menu>Spelling and select Check spelling as you type.
No, I'm on a Powerbook G4, so Rosetta isn't an issue here. Still mystified why the plug-in doesn't work...

Thanks for the tip on the spelling activation!

Take care,

Steve

JKT
2006-11-09, 03:19 PM
Do you have the latest version of the plug-in and what happens if you install it in your user library internet plug-ins folder instead?

Clytie
2006-11-09, 08:26 PM

Oh. :(

I wondered why it wasn't working. It really is a nuisance to have to download PDFs and view them separately, instead of viewing them in OW.

Is there any other way one can view PDFs in OW 5.5.1?

Thankyou :)

Matthew Whiting
2006-11-09, 10:05 PM
Hi, I'm also on a Powerbook, the last generation 15" Powerbook to be precise, and I cannot get pdf's to open in the browser either. I have not had these problems with other browsers. I'll post back if I find a solution.

Matthew Whiting

mshalperin
2006-11-09, 10:27 PM
Try this from troyb. The PDF will display in a window but no "features" like text resizing/zooming

You can get OmniWeb to display PDF files without any helper plug-ins by turning a hidden preference off.

Quit OmniWeb, open a terminal window and enter this:

defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 WebKitOmitPDFSupport -bool false

Now restart OmniWeb and PDFs should be displayed in the browser window! This feature is lacking some functionality at the moment but you shouldn't have any problem opening PDFs.

Matthew Whiting
2006-11-10, 06:50 AM
Try this from troyb. The PDF will display in a window but no "features" like text resizing/zooming

I tried that solution yesterday, and the next time I clicked on a pdf it did indeed load in the browser window. Once I restarted Omniweb again, however, it had reverted to the previous behaviour.

Matthew Whiting

mshalperin
2006-11-10, 07:19 AM
I tried that solution yesterday, and the next time I clicked on a pdf it did indeed load in the browser window. Once I restarted Omniweb again, however, it had reverted to the previous behaviour.

Matthew Whiting

PDF's still load in a separate OW window for me despite many restarts of OW (and reboots of OS X).

JKT
2006-11-10, 08:45 AM
A shot in the dark, but what happens if you delete the com.schubert-it.internet-plugin.pdf plist files from your ~/Library/Preferences folder?

Forrest
2006-11-10, 08:50 AM

Matthew Whiting

Did you run that command with OW quit?

begemotik
2006-11-10, 02:02 PM
Hello,

I input the terminal command, restarted OW, and was still able to read .pdf files within the browser. I do not have Adobe's Acrobat Reader installed, BTW. ;)

Matthew Whiting
2006-11-14, 01:18 AM
A shot in the dark, but what happens if you delete the com.schubert-it.internet-plugin.pdf plist files from your ~/Library/Preferences folder?

Deleting the Schubert plug-in seems to have done the trick. Can't say I'm completely satisfied, however. I am still hoping Omniweb will become my default browser, but Opera is giving it a good run for its money.

Matthew Whiting

FredH
2006-11-17, 09:35 AM
On a related topic, I prefer to open pdfs in Preview, but if I download a pdf can I have it open in the background instead of having it bring Preview to focus when it's done?