PDA

View Full Version : GMail CPU/Memory Hog?

troutoil
2006-11-14, 10:34 AM
I've recently had some awful trouble with OW & GMail, and no, not the unsupported browser issue or what have you. I tend to leave GMail open all day long, and when I do that, OW hogs the CPU, and the memory usage starts a slow climb that has gotten up to 300M Real Memory.

I suppose I could not leave GMail sitting in a tab, but I'd rather not.

Anyone else have similiar problems? Any solutions?

Thanks a ton,
Brennan

thestaton
2006-11-14, 04:49 PM
I'm having the same problem...

Forrest
2006-11-14, 05:17 PM
There is a JavaScript issue in 5.5.1. It should be fixed in 5.6.

obeythelaw
2006-11-15, 03:04 AM
There is a JavaScript issue in 5.5.1. It should be fixed in 5.6.

Any idea when 5.6 will be released?

Forrest
2006-11-15, 07:43 AM
Any idea when 5.6 will be released?

Nope .

troutoil
2006-11-15, 12:42 PM
thats a bummer, man.

philonous
2006-11-19, 10:09 AM
It really is a bummer. Normally the OW idle cpu usage is a nuisance 2-3%, but his morning when I was having royal problems with Skype, I finally did a check and noticed that OW was idling at 28%!!

This javascript issue is now more than a nuisance. I'm getting tired of restarting OW 5 times a day.

kocab
2006-11-19, 02:21 PM
It really is a bummer. Normally the OW idle cpu usage is a nuisance 2-3%, but his morning when I was having royal problems with Skype, I finally did a check and noticed that OW was idling at 28%!!

This javascript issue is not more than a nuisance. I'm getting tired of restarting OW 5 times a day.

I'm seeing the same issue. I've gone back to Safari once again. I'll try Omniweb again I guess when the next version comes out, but for now it's not ready for regular use given the sites I visit.

michele
2006-11-27, 01:32 PM
Am I the only one feeling a bit let down by OW?

I do love the browser and keep using it, but I find myself having to relaunch it two or three times a day. When Gmail's open it becomes terribly slow, but it's enough to wander around the Web for an hour for OW to become slow.

Omni, any idea on when an update will be out?

bazokajoe_2k
2006-11-28, 09:53 AM
Personally I don't understand the big issue...CPU/Memory leaks are not uncommon to -any- browser, and given OmniWeb's excellent save-state mechanics, is it that hard to hit Command Q and hit the button again? It takes about 5 seconds.

I'm not saying they shouldn't work on fixing the problems, just abandoning it for an issue that is common among browsers (Safari eats RAM like crazy on my MBP) seems a little extreme.

Forrest
2006-11-28, 10:23 AM
This particular issue is not common to other browsers. There is a known issue related to JavaScript and OmniWeb. When scripts are running and a window is closed, the script doesn't stop. This is unlike other browsers. It causes OW to eat up more and more CPU cycles.

When this happens, it can take up to several minutes for OW to quit - if it quits at all. Sometimes it just crashes. Then it can take a minute or so to reload depending on how many windows you have open.

They have made progress on this, and at last check it will be released as 5.6.

Last I heard, there aren't any memory leaks in OW.