PDA

View Full Version : PDF: View in Preview.app?

fraserspeirs
2006-04-27, 03:05 AM
In Safari, it's possible to ctrl-click on a rendered PDF and open it in Preview with the "View in Preview.app" item. I like this approach, because I usually want a 'quick look' at a PDF in the browser and the ability to move it to Preview with one click if I want to read in detail, save or search.

Could this be added to OW?

Arthur Case
2006-04-27, 11:41 AM
Was just about to post this too. I use that feature in Safari *alot*

MinutiaeMan
2006-04-27, 01:20 PM
I'll add my vote. Although personally, there should also be a preference for OmniWeb to ignore PDFs and download them like normal instead. (I subscribe to the belief that a web browser is not the appropriate place for viewing a PDF document, because PDFs are inherently different documents — since they're designed primarily for printed pages — than web pages.)

JKT
2006-04-27, 01:30 PM
Why not use the SchubertIT PDF plugin?

Flounder
2006-04-27, 01:31 PM
I'll add my vote. Although personally, there should also be a preference for OmniWeb to ignore PDFs and download them like normal instead. (I subscribe to the belief that a web browser is not the appropriate place for viewing a PDF document, because PDFs are inherently different documents — since they're designed primarily for printed pages — than web pages.)
Triple that... I'd like pdf's to download also, I prefer to read them in preview than anything else

fraserspeirs
2006-04-27, 01:52 PM

I agree that for any detailed use of PDFs, I much prefer Preview. I do, however, really like getting a quick look in the browser without downloading, hitting Exposé, finding the file and opening it in Preview....then filing it properly or trashing it. That's a lot of steps to discover it wasn't an interesting document :-)

Forrest
2006-04-27, 02:07 PM
without downloading, hitting Exposé, finding the file and opening it in Preview....

If you double-click on it in the Downloads window, it will automatically open in the default app you have set in the OS. You can also drag and drop it onto a dock icon if you want it to open in a different app.

then filing it properly

I use the site prefs to choose a different download location based on the site. On sites you don't frequent enough to do that, you can right-click on the link, and choose the download location.

I would actually like a more robust Downloads pane.

troyb
2006-04-27, 10:28 PM
I'll add my vote. Although personally, there should also be a preference for OmniWeb to ignore PDFs and download them like normal instead.

You can actually do this now by enabling a hidden preference. Quit OmniWeb and open a Terminal window, then enter this command:

defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 WebKitOmitPDFSupport -bool YES

After doing so OmniWeb should download PDF documents, no displaying.

Flounder
2006-04-28, 12:22 AM
You can actually do this now by enabling a hidden preference. Quit OmniWeb and open a Terminal window, then enter this command:

Excuse me TroyB... I've been seeing several different options for hidden commands. Would it be possible to get a list of them (well the ones OG wants to release) and say post them somewhere? Thanks

jordan.breeding
2006-04-28, 05:57 AM

What about the original request of getting the "Open in Preview.app" menu item from Safari while viewing a PDF/PS file in the browser? I really did like this feature in Safari and it would be nice to have in OmniWeb. Any chance of it getting added?

MinutiaeMan
2006-04-28, 03:32 PM

Sweet! Thanks. :)

And I too would love a list of other hidden preferences. So far, the ones I know about are the PDF support remover and the WebKit Inspector.

troyb
2006-04-30, 10:15 PM
Excuse me TroyB... I've been seeing several different options for hidden commands. Would it be possible to get a list of them (well the ones OG wants to release) and say post them somewhere? Thanks

Actually, you can go here:

http://www.omnigroup.com/Documentation/OmniWeb/DefaultsList-5.0.html

This contains the majority of the defaults available in OmniWeb. It isn't updated for OmniWeb 5.5 yet though.

troyb
2006-04-30, 10:20 PM
What about the original request of getting the "Open in Preview.app" menu item from Safari while viewing a PDF/PS file in the browser? I really did like this feature in Safari and it would be nice to have in OmniWeb. Any chance of it getting added?

We probably wont be able to add this for OmniWeb 5.5 unfortunately, we will consider it in the future though. If you want, send us a feature request for this and we'll make sure we add your vote for this feature in our database.

teorema67
2006-05-01, 01:31 AM
If you double-click on it in the Downloads window, it will automatically open in the default app you have set in the OS. You can also drag and drop it onto a dock icon if you want it to open in a different app.

Thanks, another feature discovered. It's necessary to double-click the .pdf's icon, not the file name, in the DL window, true?

JKT
2006-05-01, 06:37 AM
We probably wont be able to add this for OmniWeb 5.5 unfortunately, we will consider it in the future though. If you want, send us a feature request for this and we'll make sure we add your vote for this feature in our database.
In the meantime, the SchubertIT PDFplugin provides the option already:

http://homepage.mac.com/jtyzack/.Pictures/screenshots/SchITPDFplug.jpg

teorema67
2006-05-02, 10:36 AM
In the meantime, the SchubertIT PDFplugin provides the option already

1 click on this does the same :)