PDA

View Full Version : Subscribe to RSS Sends to NNW

slyturtle
2006-04-27, 09:17 AM
Perhaps this is already possible, and I don't know of it, but I'd really like if the newspaper icon/subscribe to rss feeds widget could optionally be overridden to send the feed to my default rss reader (NetNewsWire, in my case), instead of a live bookmark in OmniWeb.

Cortig
2006-04-27, 09:46 AM
I'd second that!

Corentin

Arthur Case
2006-04-27, 11:38 AM
Me three !

dustym
2006-04-27, 11:46 AM
I fourth this.

Flounder
2006-04-27, 01:33 PM
While I prefer NewsFire to NNW I'd like to see an option like safari where as clicking the RSS button in the status bar either allows you to view the RSS feeds in OW or copy the link to the clipboard and select whatever RSS reader you want.

So I guess I'm 5th

Cortig
2006-04-27, 01:48 PM
While I prefer NewsFire to NNW I'd like to see an option like safari where as clicking the RSS button in the status bar either allows you to view the RSS feeds in OW or copy the link to the clipboard and select whatever RSS reader you want.

So I guess I'm 5th
You could easily deal with that: we need a pref that allows us to either use OW for RSS or "the default RSS reader as defined for the system.
The other option would be to let users selectwhich ever app they want for RSS...

fraserspeirs
2006-04-27, 01:55 PM

If there were two options in that menu - "Subscribe in OmniWeb" and "Subscribe in (Whatever the default feed reader is)", that would be great. Certain kinds of RSS feed, particularly feeds for comments on individual blog entries, seem more natural fits for subscribing in the browser.

In Safari, if you choose an external reader, it seems you can't then subcribe to feeds in Safari at all.

Josue Salazar
2006-04-27, 04:20 PM
I need this as well. NetNewsWire in my case.

danlurie
2006-04-27, 04:22 PM
this already works for feed:// links

iNik
2006-04-28, 09:44 AM
This can be done pretty easily via Applescript. PM me if you want a script to handle it.

wspr
2006-05-02, 09:26 PM
Another vote. The lack of this feature is a little unusual.

afb
2006-05-05, 08:37 PM
This can be done pretty easily via Applescript. PM me if you want a script to handle it.
What exactly do you mean?

markyp
2006-06-22, 10:05 AM
Add another vote - I live in NNW, and it would be the ideal solution.

mpbritt
2006-06-24, 08:02 AM
I had come to the forum with the intention of making just this feature request. Nice to see I'm not the only one thinking this way. :)

I would very much like a Preferences setting to allow me to set an external RSS reader as the default for all subscriptions.

NickM
2006-06-24, 08:55 PM
++

Really, this has to be 10 lines of code, tops. Just use LaunchServices to pass the feed off to the system default RSS reader.

kirby
2006-06-24, 11:53 PM
I need this feature too! :)

Alazoral
2006-06-28, 04:55 AM
This is definitely required.

daiyi666@yahoo.com
2006-06-28, 06:59 AM
Would be great! How about adding something similar for adding poscasts to iTunes? Here's a hint taken from today's OSX Hints about how the process works in Safari:

While many podcasts can be found in the Podcast Directory of the iTunes Music Store, some, for whatever reason, may not have a presence there, or there may be other versions of a podcast that you may wish to have in iTunes. iTunes has a convention to deal with this, in the form of the 'Subscribe to Podcast...' option under the Advanced menu item of iTunes. This allows the users to provide a URL for an XML file to subscribe to.

While this works, it's often tedious to find the URL of the feed, copy it, and then paste into the box. Of course, Safari has a more convenient way to do this -- the built-in RSS reader. The RSS reader, found in Safari 2 and higher, provides a small link on the right-hand side of the page under Actions called 'Subscribe in iTunes.' Click it, and the feed appears in iTunes as if you had hit the subscribe button

samrhall
2006-06-30, 06:41 PM
This is the only real annoyance I have using OW, and it's a real pain. Please add this service.

iNik
2006-07-03, 06:12 AM
Here's a script to handle subscribing in NNW from OmniWeb. It will only work on pages which have an RSS feed referenced in the page header (i.e. it won't work on an RSS link), but it does the job for 80% of the sites out there.

Subscribe to Current OmniWeb Page in NetNewsWire (http://inik.net/node/15)

afb
2006-07-03, 09:33 AM
iNik, many thanks for this!

HiramNetherlands
2006-07-08, 02:05 AM
That would be nice. The RSS implementation in OW is not bad, but I've grown accustomed to NNW. Why change a good habit?

Mindflayer
2006-08-30, 10:35 PM
hear, hear.

moksha
2006-09-01, 10:11 AM
This would be awesome, I came here to request it, and look what I find.

vamp07
2006-09-17, 08:57 AM
Add me to the chorus. I am living more and more in my RSS reader and having a browser that is good at discovering that the page has feeds and then passing that feed to my referred reader is important. So important that lately I have not been using Onmiweb as often because of this feature. Safari does an excellent job at discovering feeds and then passing them to newsFire. Moved away from Camino because of no RSS discovering.