PDA

View Full Version : How do you handle unfinished projects using GTD

LLBean
2012-06-05, 12:52 PM
OF newbie here, so maybe this is an obvious question:

So, I've got a couple projects where all the known actions are complete. However, the project is tied to a date in the future. I don't want to mark the project complete because something might pop up, but I don't want to see everyday on my Today perspective.

So what is the best way to process something like this? My first thought is to just give it a start date closer to the future date to get it out of the way. It isn't really an On Hold/or Someday thing as it is an active project.

Thanks

LL

Brian
2012-06-05, 02:20 PM
LL, I'd handle a situation like this in exactly the manner you suggested - set a start date some time off in the future when I wanted to check back on the project and see if anything new needed to be added or worked on.

wilsonng
2012-06-06, 03:39 AM
Sometimes I set a start date and I fill the project with one task that says "Follow up on Project X"

Other times, I'll set the project to "On Hold" and set the Review Date to a distant point in the future (2 weeks, 2 months from now or something else in the future).

When I do my weeky or daily review, this will appear in my Review perspective when today is the Review Date. At that time I can make a few calls and follow ups to see if there is anything else that needs to be done.

Oogiem
2012-06-06, 06:31 AM
So, I've got a couple projects where all the known actions are complete. However, the project is tied to a date in the future. I don't want to mark the project complete because something might pop up, but I don't want to see everyday on my Today perspective.

I put the projects on hold. Someday/maybe is just that, nothing you need to do right now but may need to do something later. When I do a weekly review I always look at all projects that are on hold so if there is something I need to do I can make the project active then and start on the next action.