PDA

View Full Version : Synchronize parent-tasks to iCal

ksenia
2007-05-30, 03:05 AM
Hi,

I am trying to use iCal for scheduling of tasks. For example, tomorrow morning, before lunch I want to move "project X" forward by accomplishing the task "Fix bugs reported by John".

My OF structure:

- Project X
--- Fix bugs reported by John
------ Bug A
------ Bug B
------ Bug C

So in fact, I use OF as two systems: to record my next action (fix bugs reported by John) AND project support materials (list of bugs). I don't consider a single bugfix to be a "next action", but I like to have it in nice outline with checkbox. When all bugs are checked off the next action is finished.

In iCal, I want to have the action "Fix bugs reported by John" as a task. Than I can drag&drop it on calendar section and schedule it for tomorrow. But (I think) it isn't possible to synchronise the parent-task to iCal...
Does my wish to be able to do it sounds reasonable? :)

Ksenia.

Craig
2007-05-30, 05:54 AM
If it were me, I would create "Fix bugs reported by John" as a task, and then put the bugs list in that tasks's note field.

If you wanted, you could prepend each bug with a hyphen, and to track them you could change each hyphen to a + . Not as satisfying as checking a checkbox, perhaps, but that's what I would do since you consider "Fix bugs" to be your next action.

brooce
2007-05-30, 08:07 AM
This would seem to support my suggestion (days ago, different topic) that Projects and "Tasks with Sub-tasks" NOT have a done status of their own, but rather inherit the done-liness of their sub-components. If (all sub-components are 'done'), then (Project or Über-Task 'done')

brooce
2007-05-30, 08:08 AM
(Oh, and I hope the engineering group can talk about Done-liness with a straight face...think Flanders' Done-Diddly-Done...)

pjb
2007-05-31, 04:50 AM
I wouldn't use OF to keep the list of bugs, just to keep the list of tasks of what to do when with the bugs but would like to have a handy link so that when that reminder comes around a simple click will take me to the OmniOutliner document with the bugs list.

ksenia
2007-05-31, 11:17 AM
I wouldn't use OF to keep the list of bugs, just to keep the list of tasks of what to do when with the bugs but would like to have a handy link so that when that reminder comes around a simple click will take me to the OmniOutliner document with the bugs list.

Agreed, I think this is be the best option. URL field (synchronizable to iCal url field) would be great...

Craig
2007-05-31, 11:43 AM
This would seem to support my suggestion (days ago, different topic) that Projects and "Tasks with Sub-tasks" NOT have a done status of their own, but rather inherit the done-liness of their sub-components. If (all sub-components are 'done'), then (Project or Über-Task 'done')

I rather like the manual marking-as-complete of projects. It seems to me worth it to preserve that opportunity to consider whether the project is truly accomplished.

But I think I'm on board with you about tasks with subtasks. I just noticed such a task holding up a project in OF - I had (within context view) checked off the final subtask, but since the parent task (which I have not assigned to a context) did not consider itself thus completed, it did not "release" the next action down the list.