PDA

View Full Version : Google cash cow?

zoara
2007-06-13, 04:42 AM
This isn't so much a feature request as a suggestion. I just read on Daring Fireball that Apple make a fair bit of cash from their Google search field in Safari:

http://daringfireball.net/2007/06/wwdc_2007_keynote

(scroll down to Safari for Windows)

From messing around, it looks like OmniWeb doesn't do this.

If it doesn't, could I suggest you have a word with Google and get something going? a few extra pennies here and there couldn't hurt, and would benefit us users because Omni could afford to make more new cool stuff (and be happier doing it, thanks to extra toppings on your pizzas).

If it does do this, and I have broken it by adjusting what my search field sends out to Google, then could you tell me what I should set it back to, so I don't deprive you of your extra pizza toppings?

BwanaZulia
2007-06-13, 05:53 AM
Yeah, do this and make OmniWeb free!! Let the masses know that OmniWeb is the best browser on the market.

It also might get development started again for OmniWeb 6.0!

BZ

Floach
2007-06-13, 10:27 AM
I'd rather Omni continue to charge for OmniWeb, pull in extra revenue through search and see OW as their flagship app. It's listed first on their homepage, after all! Whatever happens, I feel fairly positive OW will get the love it needs in the not-too-distant future. Or so I hope!

philonous
2007-06-14, 12:55 PM
I'd rather Omni continue to charge for OmniWeb, pull in extra revenue through search and see OW as their flagship app. It's listed first on their homepage, after all! Whatever happens, I feel fairly positive OW will get the love it needs in the not-too-distant future. Or so I hope!

I agree. OW support is much better, after all. But, before you pass judgment, you ought to ask OW first if they have tried this approach or not. I am willing to bet that they have. I'm also willing to bet that the amount of money that google is willing to pay for publicity on a browser that is used by 0.02% of the market will probably not be enough to support OW development.

I do desperately wish that OG would releas the next version of OW so that I could use OW without losing 50% of my cpu to javascript events.

That's my $0.02

Payam