PDA

View Full Version : Style retention + workspaces

wootest
2006-05-09, 11:43 AM
If I:

1) Set as a default to have a custom style (not a custom style *sheet*, just custom fonts) on all pages,
2) open a file from my local hard drive,
3) take a snapshot,
4) quit OmniWeb,
5) open it again (restoring the snapshot),

then my custom style isn't retained.

By the way, custom styles seem to be patched on after the page is fully loaded. Aside from being annoying and causing color clashes with links on some pages, it seems like the wrong way to do it. Why is it not possible to just hook it up to the WebView's usual font settings? (And I assume that there's a damn good reason why, naturally.)

afb
2006-05-09, 09:34 PM
I can't remember where I saw it, but I recall some problem about OW not being able to retain site-specific prefs for file://.

wootest
2006-05-10, 08:46 AM
That's good to know. Although this was solely based on the font set in preferences to apply to *every* web site shown in OmniWeb.

afb
2006-05-10, 10:10 AM
Ah, then that's something different.

technomage
2006-05-12, 05:43 AM
If I:

1) Set as a default to have a custom style (not a custom style *sheet*, just custom fonts) on all pages,

I've never gotten OW's font settings to work as expected/desired doing this. In my experience, the override page styles only applies colors reliably and not the base fonts. I want to kill serif fonts in all situations, and this simply doesn't work in any circumstances when you select a sans-serif face as your proportional font and the page is coded for serif (Times, etc...). Using the OAFontFamilySubstitutions .plist key to force substitutions is broken in 5.1.3, and I filed a bug some time ago about this. This feature and the .plist override continue to be broken up to SP10.

There are too many permutations of font style implementations via css to easily develop a useful custom style sheet to counter them. Firefox does this properly--it has separate preferences for san-serif and serif defaults and selecting a sans-serif for both is honored.

wootest
2006-05-12, 05:46 AM
What's funny is that the link colors - which I did *not* customize and *not* set to override - overrides the link colors of pages (it seems) lacking style sheets at all. Yes, I know that adds up to about, uh, three pages daily. Still not defendable. ;)