PDA

View Full Version : Growl Notification?

philbowell
2007-07-27, 03:25 PM
I've just started to use OF and I have to say I'm very impressed and finding it very usable. I particularly like the Quicksilver action provided and just wondered if it would be possible to add a Growl notification on the successful addition of a task? It would be great to see so yo know it worked.

BwanaZulia
2007-07-28, 02:08 AM
That would be a cool feature both for adding things and for upcoming tasks.

BZ

alpha
2007-08-19, 07:29 AM
I've modified the Quicksilver script to support Growl notifications, attached to this post. It gives you feedback on which context and/or project (or Inbox) the task has been assigned to. To install unzip and move script to ~/Library/Application Support/Quicksilver/Actions. Hope that helps.

Regards,
Adam Byrtek

skadz
2007-11-28, 05:23 PM
Since alpha already wrote this, what are the chances of this getting used? I use Quicksilver quite extensively and it would be really nice to get a Growl notification that the task got added correctly. I kind of got used to this with iGTD and it throws me off pretty regularly when I add something with Quicksilver and I don't get any notification.

Thanks!

steve
2007-11-28, 07:14 PM
Out of curiosity, do you prefer quicksilver to the Quick Entry panel? I live out of quicksilver, but I have made the QE a habit.

Craig
2007-12-04, 10:17 AM
December 3 release notes mention that Growl support is being put into OF, though I haven't seen it working on my system yet. Anybody else?

ext555
2007-12-04, 11:37 AM
Haven't seen it active yet either .

iNik
2007-12-04, 01:18 PM
I haven't seen it working on my system yet. Anybody else?

Sure. My automatic DB backup posted a notification, and so did clipping from a text editor window. (Clippings are set to go right to the inbox -- you don't get notified if they pass thru Quick Entry)

Check out Growl for the supported notification events.

Craig
2007-12-04, 01:33 PM
Oh yeah, I guess it is working. I expected to see a Growl notice that OF registered with it, but I didn't.

ext555
2007-12-04, 02:17 PM
what about task available and due etc ... when do those show up ?

Tim Wood
2007-12-04, 08:17 PM
When a task's start date passes, its due date comes within the 'Due Soon' range set up in preferences or when its due date passes. Please let us know if you find cases where these aren't showing up correctly.

dashard
2007-12-05, 08:40 AM
Launched OF today to be greeted with Growl alerts noting all of my due or past due (--ahem) items.

I had a damned screenful of them! :eek:
Growl is working nicely (?), thank you very much.

Anthony DeCrescenzo

ext555
2007-12-05, 09:21 AM
False Alarm , something was wrong with my Growl.. I restarted Growl and it was ok

Tim Wood
2007-12-05, 08:04 PM
I would only expect OmniFocus to show you actions that had become due soon/overdue since the last time you ran the application (that is, it should not show you things that were already known to in that state before). If you are seeing older overdue actions pinging you again, this would seem like a bug.

Lutin
2007-12-06, 11:34 AM
This might already be coming, but I would appreciate the option to make the notifications persistent.
That would allow me to see them even If I wasn't in front of my computer at the right time, and give me time to read them if there are too many!

iNik
2007-12-06, 11:54 AM
Set up your preferences in Growl for each type of notification. Make it "sticky" if you want it to hang out until you manually dismiss it.

Lutin
2007-12-07, 09:43 AM
Set up your preferences in Growl for each type of notification. Make it "sticky" if you want it to hang out until you manually dismiss it.

So obvious... but thank you!
I had so much trust in OmniFocus, that I was looking for that option inside its preferences, while it clearly should be in Growl Preferences.

Richard Flynn
2007-12-15, 07:04 AM
I've got a problem with Growl notifications. OmniFocus pops up notifications for actions, action groups, and projects which are past due. All good. Except for one thing, it does this even if those actions, action groups, or projects have been marked complete! Is anyone else seeing this behaviour? I’ve tried re-building my database but it hasn’t fixed the problem. This has been the case for every build since when Growl was introduced.

Craig
2007-12-15, 07:43 AM
Richard, you're not alone. I've submitted the bug via feedback and suggest that you do too.

Tim Wood
2007-12-16, 08:00 PM
Oops. Fixed in 96171 =)