PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Growl-style bubble for current action

matt_good
2007-09-22, 03:48 PM
iGTD has a feature called "pin" IIRC that puts a bubble in the corner of the screen with info on an action, which was a nice way to look at the notes about the action without flipping back to the full app. I looked at scripting this with Growl notifications, but they don't seem to have an option to make the notification persistent.

Anyone with more AppleScript-fu have suggestions for creating a bubble that will display info on the current action?

curt.clifton
2007-09-22, 04:32 PM
This script should do the trick: 304 Run it once and you'll get a normal notification. But after that, you can go to the Growl system preference pane, Applications tab, and select Curt's Scripts in the top list. In the bottom list, make the Sticky Notifications actually sticky by making sure the Sticky column has a checkmark.

gcrump
2007-09-24, 02:42 AM
Curt, I am getting the following error when I try to run your script:

AppleScript reported the following error:
OmniFocus got an error: NSReceiverEvaluationScriptError: 3

I am using yesterday's build.

Any thoughts?

George

granin
2007-09-24, 07:03 AM
Curt, I am getting the following error when I try to run your script:

I am using yesterday's build.

Any thoughts?

George

same error

curt.clifton
2007-09-24, 01:24 PM
Works fine for me in the latest build, 91773. I'm using Growl 0.7.4.

Try opening the script in Script Editor and running it from there. It should highlight where the error is occurring. Let me know what you find.

steve
2007-09-24, 07:37 PM
This worked for me, no problem. It seems like a good idea, but do you have to run or invoke the script each time you want growl to run the notification?

gcrump
2007-09-25, 03:09 AM
This worked for me, no problem. It seems like a good idea, but do you have to run or invoke the script each time you want growl to run the notification?

OK, running it from script editor worked. Not sure what this is supposed to do though. I was under the impression that as I moved from task to task it would but a growl bubble up. Was I mistaken? I am using GROWL 0.76

Thanks,

George

curt.clifton
2007-09-25, 02:09 PM
OK, running it from script editor worked. Not sure what this is supposed to do though. I was under the impression that as I moved from task to task it would but a growl bubble up. Was I mistaken? I am using GROWL 0.76

You run the script, it posts a notification. There is no way to make the notification track OF. You just have to run the script again when you want to post a reminder of what you are working on.

The script really was just a quick one-off to demonstrate how to post sticky reminders with Growl. I don't plan to support the script and won't be posting it to my scripts page as I don't have a need for it.

I don't think I understand what you all are wanting to do with such a script. I was thinking you just wanted to keep track of what you were working on, so when you finished dealing with an interruption you could return to what you were doing. Are you looking for something that shows your top-most next action and allows clicking to complete and then show the next next action? That an interesting idea, but isn't something that Growl would be useful for.

Craig
2007-10-15, 05:27 AM
This works for me, too. If anyone has done anything more with this, or would like to, I hope you see my request for development here (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost.php?p=22901&postcount=9).

pmurillo
2008-05-05, 10:03 PM
Unfortunately, I'm getting this error message when I run the script

http://img.skitch.com/20080506-dx7ub42ma1pupw45nba62emt4d.jpg

Does anybody knows how to fix this?

robrecord
2009-02-19, 07:27 AM
This is perfect for what I need - thanks so much!

It would be great if the script could link back to the item if the growl notification is clicked, just like OmniFocus does when something becomes due.

Otherwise, perfect script! Very handy.

steve
2009-06-11, 04:22 PM
Is this working for anyone in OmniFocus-1.6?

Thanks,
Steve

whpalmer4
2009-06-11, 05:06 PM
I don't normally use it, but I was able to download it and run the script with OF 1.6.1 just now without any problem. What are you seeing (or not)?

steve
2009-06-11, 05:15 PM
whpalmer4,

Thanks for checking for me. I haven't used this in a quite awhile, but I've been drawn back as a possible focusing agent.

Nothing seems to happen when I run the script.

Growl 1.1.4 is turned on and works with other applications, curt's script is checked . . .

whpalmer4
2009-06-12, 04:45 PM
You do have an action selected when you run it, right?

For troubleshooting, I would suggest opening the Script Editor (double-clicking on the script file should do that) and using the Run button there to invoke the script. If you have the Event Log History window open when you run the script, you can see the output, which will look something like this:

tell application "OmniFocus"
get every selected tree of content of document window 1 of document 1 whose index = 1
{tree 3 of tree 243 of content of document window id 613 of document id "n3_4uuu0hr2"}
get value of tree 3 of tree 243 of content of document window id 613 of document id "n3_4uuu0hr2"
task id "nRjKLG1N3U7" of document id "n3_4uuu0hr2"
get name of task id "nRjKLG1N3U7" of document id "n3_4uuu0hr2"
"RE: Book Fair contest"
end tell
tell application "GrowlHelperApp"
register as application "Curt's Scripts" all notifications {"Script Completed", "Script Began", "Sticky Notifications"} default notifications {"Script Completed"} icon of application "OmniFocus.app"
notify with name "Sticky Notifications" title "What am I doing?" application name "Curt's Scripts" description "RE: Book Fair contest"
end tell

Posting that here might give us a clue as to what is going wrong.

gcrump
2009-06-13, 04:44 AM
I'm having the same issue, nothing happens. Here is the results from the event log:

get every selected tree of content of document window 1 of document 1 whose index = 1
{tree 2 of tree 2 of content of document window id 719661 of document id "lHm3rTww0mR"}
get value of tree 2 of tree 2 of content of document window id 719661 of document id "lHm3rTww0mR"
task id "k0ZToWJYA9C" of document id "lHm3rTww0mR"
get name of task id "k0ZToWJYA9C" of document id "lHm3rTww0mR"
"Take Macbook in for repair"
end tell
register as application "Curt's Scripts" all notifications {"Script Completed", "Script Began", "Sticky Notifications"} default notifications {"Script Completed"} icon of application "OmniFocus.app"
notify with name "Sticky Notifications" title "What am I doing?" application name "Curt's Scripts" description "Take Macbook in for repair"
end tell

steve
2009-06-13, 06:31 AM
And here is mine. . . It correctly identifies the action that I was on but nothing displays in growl. It is turned on, checked for curt's scripts, and is working for other apps.. . hmmm!

{tree 1 of tree 1 of tree 3 of content of document window id 7094 of document id "p69_IWY9YHf"}
get value of tree 1 of tree 1 of tree 3 of content of document window id 7094 of document id "p69_IWY9YHf"
task id "pVc3LIJyiae" of document id "p69_IWY9YHf"
get name of task id "pVc3LIJyiae" of document id "p69_IWY9YHf"
"research online quizzes"
end tell
notify with name "Sticky Notifications" title "What am I doing?" application name "Curt's Scripts" description "research online quizzes"
end tell

curt.clifton
2009-06-19, 06:43 AM
Here is an updated version of the script that I've been using: 942

This one is simpler than the original and uses a different application name in Growl. After you run the script once, you can go to Growl preferences and set notifications from "OmniFocus Stickies" to always Stay on Screen. I also set them to appear is every Space.

Those of you having trouble, please let me know if the new version works. If so, I'll post it to my software page. (I have a spiffy/cheesy icon for the script, but with the icon it's too large to post to the forums.)

gcrump
2009-06-21, 09:22 AM
This is working perfectly now, Thanks Curt