PDA

View Full Version : 'Move to trash' command for Downloads

Gregory
2006-05-23, 03:42 AM
please add a command to trash items in the Downloads window.

often, I download something like a pdf or dmg file. after reading/using it, I don't need the file anymore and need to trash it. currently, that requires activating OW, clicking on the Reveal button, waiting for Finder to activate and open the folder, pressing command-delete, closing the folder and then reactivating OW again if I want to resume surfing; ie, 5 to 6 steps.

if OW had a 'Move to trash' contextual menu or Toolbar button, it would make life so much simpler ;-)

andreas_g
2006-05-23, 03:47 AM
i agree, that this would be a usefull feature. a toolbar button would be a much better solution then a command in the contextual menu

Len Case
2006-05-23, 08:26 AM
Actually, this is what the "Abandon" toolbar item does (altho it may delete directly instead of moving to the trash). All you need to do is customize the toolbar to add it.

andreas_g
2006-05-23, 08:47 AM
oh yes, i think this is exactly what we were looking for, isn't it ?

Rachael
2006-05-23, 09:31 AM
I'm 99% sure that last time i poked that code i made it go to the trash can when you hit abort (just in case ;) )

Forrest
2006-05-23, 09:47 AM
In SP11, it doesn't go to the trash. Dontcha hate that 1%?

Rachael
2006-05-23, 10:10 AM
totally! ;)

Actually, abandon DOES seem to be putting the file in the trash here, though...double-check, Forrest?

Gregory
2006-05-23, 10:20 AM
it's working for me.

the name 'Abandon' to me didn't really indicate that (a) it would delete the downloaded file, and (b) it would work even if the download has completed.

I wonder if a better name is possible. how about simply 'Delete' ?

Forrest
2006-05-23, 10:28 AM
totally! ;)

Actually, abandon DOES seem to be putting the file in the trash here, though...double-check, Forrest?

bah! I even triple checked before I posted. Here's what happened...

1. I have been having the issue where loading a workspace redownloads files. So when I tested this, I "abandoned" a bunch of those as I didn't need the files.
2. The trash never filled with anything.
3. I repeated this three times.

Well, turns out I had already delete those files.

Maybe a nice feature would be to gray out the Abandon button (like the reveal button) when the file is gone. Maybe even gray out the whole item in the manager.

Len Case
2006-05-23, 03:10 PM
the name 'Abandon' to me didn't really indicate that (a) it would delete the downloaded file, and (b) it would work even if the download has completed.

I wonder if a better name is possible. how about simply 'Delete' ?
The idea behind "Abandon" was to distinguish it from "Clear" where "Clear" only works on completed downloads and only deletes it from the list.

The tooltip for "Abandon" does try to be very explicit
Stop selected downloads and remove them from both the list and the disk
but I suppose we ought to make it more clear that Abandon works for completed downloads (although originally it didn't which might have caused part of the confusion).

afb
2006-05-24, 07:49 PM
How about "Trash"?

The button, though, seems to work as described for me.
Maybe a nice feature would be to gray out the Abandon button (like the reveal button) when the file is gone. Maybe even gray out the whole item in the manager.
That sounds like a good idea.