PDA

View Full Version : Feature Requests

Forrest
2006-05-26, 02:01 PM
A couple years ago I made a big list and some of them actually ended up in OW, so here goes some more...

Source Window—rather than having the view source window display in its own window, make it attached to the browser window it's from. This would basically lock two windows side by side.*

For example, if someone had the tab drawer on the left and the viewed the page source, a window would appear on the right. If the user then clicked on another tab, the source for that page would display. The source always displays for the window that's viewable, except if it has been modified. Edit: Also, if text in the page is selected, that text is highlighted in the code and the source view automatically scrolls to display. As one scrolled down the page, the source view would scroll along with it to display the code of what's being viewed.

*Lock window relations—perhaps a different approach to the above would be to allow the user to lock/snap windows together. So if they moved one, they could move both. There's probably an official name for this sort of thing... magnetic windows? Edit: also, it would be nice if two windows locked together could have a scroll sync option - so if one scrolls the other scrolls with it.

Expanded Page Info—there should be no reason the web inspector is any better. The current Page Info is a good feature but it leaves me wanting more. I would like a full detail list of a given page. From the number of images in a page, to how much CPU usage a particular swf is hogging.

User Scripts—something similar to greasemonkey.

Cache as a Site Pref—I mentioned this in another thread, and I think it's useful enough to mention twice. I would really like to be able to crank up my cache on some sites, but set it to no cache on others.

Customizable Contextual Menu—there have been many requests of changes to the contextual menu. I realize there are many uses for this, and mine are rather specific. I like how it works now, but I see many users want it more simple. IMHO, the menu should not contain anything that can be done with a keyboard command. For example, go forward & back are bound to my thumb buttons, plus there's keyboard commands for them. However, copying a specific image location to the clipboard cannot be done with a key command.

I'll add more as time goes on. If anyone has any suggestions on how to do some of the above with the current OW, let me know. I realize it's not likely to see any of this in 5.5.

Handycam
2006-05-26, 04:12 PM
Expanded Page Info—there should be no reason the web inspector is any better. The current Page Info is a good feature but it leaves me wanting more. I would like a full detail list of a given page. From the number of images in a page, to how much CPU usage a particular swf is hogging.

Yes. Have you seen the inspector in the latest WebKit builds? I'd like to see something like that.

Forrest
2006-08-16, 04:29 PM
Yes. Have you seen the inspector in the latest WebKit builds? I'd like to see something like that.

I just now saw your reply, sorry. What is it you like most about the new inspector?