PDA

View Full Version : Unified Toolbar?

Jon Hicks
2006-04-05, 03:20 AM
I know Omnigroup are focussing on getting integration with WebKit for 5.5, but I wondered what the possibility of moving to a unified toolbar would be? If I've got this right, 5.5 will be a Tiger-only release, which would make this relevant. Especially as enabling it is just a matter of ticking a box in Interface Builder. I do this on my copy (main browser window, downloads, preferences, source view and zoomed editor when that returns). The default icons work well with the unified toolbar too.

Anyone else feel strongly about this?

danlurie
2006-04-06, 12:33 PM
I've modified my OW to have a unified toolbar ever since Jon had it on hicksdesign. I currently don't have the unified toolbar enabled, because I use a ShapeShifter theme which achieves the same effect. Seeing that it IS so simple to implement, I second this motion!

Ken Case
2006-04-07, 09:23 AM
Unified toolbars are coming.

Jon Hicks
2006-04-07, 09:56 AM
In that case - yay!

philonous
2006-04-13, 12:21 PM
I love the unified toolbar. It improves the aesthetics of OW dramatically. Now, can the favorites bar also be incorporated into the unified toolbar? That would make the overall appearance much, MUCH neater.

The progress of OW5.5 is very nice thus far. Thanks guys!

Jesse the K
2006-04-13, 01:42 PM
I'm a low vision user, and I much prefer reading the fave bar bookmark names black against white, as opposed to black on steely gray. So if you do allow the fave bar to be totally unified, please make it a pref to check!

Thanks

Forrest
2006-04-13, 02:02 PM
I'm a low vision user, and I much prefer reading the fave bar bookmark names black against white, as opposed to black on steely gray. So if you do allow the fave bar to be totally unified, please make it a pref to check!

The current version is black type on light grey. I can see not having a separator being an issue (though I wouldn't notice it much because I have the address bar showing on its own row.)

MinutiaeMan
2006-04-17, 06:19 PM
I too use the separate address bar for OW. I find it especially handy on my 12" screen!

marc
2006-04-17, 08:40 PM
I too use the separate address bar for OW. I find it especially handy on my 12" screen!
Yeah, I like it for the 'whizziness' of auto-hiding and showing the address bar... it makes for a less cluttered window (e.g. minimise or hide the toolbar) and it's... kinda cool! ;)

Of course the Address bar still works with the 'pre-toolbar search field' shortcuts, so it has a little of that QuickSilver/Spotlight feel about it... and it's snazzier than Camino's sheet for 'Open Location'. :)

swoop
2006-04-26, 10:41 PM
Hi all

Sorry to interrupt in your thread but what is actually a unified toolbar ?

marc
2006-04-26, 11:00 PM
Hi all

Sorry to interrupt in your thread but what is actually a unified toolbar ?
It's the new-look toolbar that appeared in Tiger. The window titlebar and toolbar are drawn as one unified gradient, with no separation between the two areas -- in effect the entire toolbar has become part of the titlebar.

The most obvious place to see it is in Mail (but ignore the new buttons, they're a different issue!)

Not only is it more attractive (subjective of course) but it provides a larger drag target -- some have pointed to this as a drawback, as you could theoretically miss a button and inadvertently move the window, but I've not found this to be an issue in practice.

swoop
2006-04-26, 11:20 PM
Thanks Marc for the good explanation of the unified toolbar. I guess it would be good to look closer at the toolbar in the apps you mentions.

Thanks again.

livings124
2006-05-08, 09:20 AM
The unified windows are nice, but the preferences should be regular aqua, not unified, since every application made by Apple (and most not made by apple) do this regardless of what type of windows the app uses.

danlurie
2006-05-08, 10:55 AM
The unified windows are nice, but the preferences should be regular aqua, not unified, since every application made by Apple (and most not made by apple) do this regardless of what type of windows the app uses.

Have you seen System Preferences lately? ;)

livings124
2006-05-08, 11:39 AM
Have you seen System Preferences lately? ;)

System preferences is its own application. I'm talking about individual application preferences. Find me one that isn't regular aqua (that's not from a third party).

Handycam
2006-05-10, 03:30 PM
Am I missing something? My SP10 toolbar is unified (albeit not with the favorites bar).

Forrest
2006-05-10, 04:08 PM
Am I missing something? My SP10 toolbar is unified (albeit not with the favorites bar).

What, exactly, are you replying to?

Jon Hicks
2006-05-11, 02:53 AM

What you're missing is that this thread started before the sneaky peeks got the unified toolbar enabled. Its an outdated thread!