PDA

View Full Version : Request: Shortcut parity with Safari

Abhi Beckert
2006-06-25, 04:36 AM
I'm a web developer, and while my main browser is OmniWeb, I'm often using just about any other browser out there. A major problem I run into regularly is that every browser has different shortcuts.

View source is the worst, every browser has a different shortcut for view source, I view source all the time when debugging server-side scripts and I have to use the menu, because I can never remember which of the four view source shortcuts apply to the active browser! Another one is show downloads panel. Like view source, it's a different shortcut in every browser, but it's particularly bad in OmniWeb because the Safari shortcut is Cmd-Opt-L, which shows the separate location bar in OmniWeb, which then automajically removes the address bar item from the toolbar, necessitating a trip to the customize toolbar panel to undo your mistake.

Perhaps if OmniWeb goes for shortcut parity with Safari, other browsers will follow? crossed fingers

Note that I'm not suggesting OmniWeb have 100% identical shortcuts, just bring them a little closer, especially with commonly used actions.

Forrest
2006-06-25, 01:27 PM
Well, considering OW has been around a A LOT longer than Safari, I'd think Safari should be the one to change ;)

That said, I do completely understand where you're coming from. One of the great things about Macs is that many of the keyboard commands are shared between apps.

BTW, why would you want to view source in Safari?

Abhi Beckert
2006-06-25, 03:39 PM
Well, considering OW has been around a A LOT longer than Safari, I'd think Safari should be the one to change ;)

Actually I think the opposite is true. Safari is the only browser with the opportunity to take a "fresh start" under Mac OS X, so I'd expect it's shortcuts to be more modern.

BTW, why would you want to view source in Safari?

Well, I have to test my pages in all browsers, so whatever browser happens to be at the front when I'm fixing a problem is the one I'll view source in. Also, I try to switch from one browser to another during development (an hour with omniweb, an hour with safari, two minutes with firefox, etc), that way compatibility issues are less likely to ambush me right at the end, when I'm usually about to exceed the project deadline. The fact is no browser is really more suited to development than any other, so jumping from one to another is a non-issue.

Forrest
2006-06-26, 08:34 AM
Actually I think the opposite is true. Safari is the only browser with the opportunity to take a "fresh start" under Mac OS X, so I'd expect it's shortcuts to be more modern.

Not sure what you mean by that. OW was built for OS X before it was called OS X.

Well, I have to test my pages in all browsers, so whatever browser happens to be at the front when I'm fixing a problem is the one I'll view source in.

I see. If I want to see how the source looks in Safari I'll change OW to ID as Safari and view source in OW. I don't like digging through the mess of a source view Safari gives.

Abhi Beckert
2006-06-27, 01:47 AM
Not sure what you mean by that. OW was built for OS X before it was called OS X.

We can agree to disagree then ;).

I see. If I want to see how the source looks in Safari I'll change OW to ID as Safari and view source in OW. I don't like digging through the mess of a source view Safari gives.

It's not so much that I want to see how the source looks, more when I need to see the output of a print_f() and safari happens to be the browser I'm currently debugging in. I usually exit right after printing my debug info, so finding it among the html isn't a problem, or if it is I prefer to copy/paste the code into my editor anyway, that way I get proper syntax coloring.

Aaaaanyway... are any OmniGods–, er, staff, going to comment on the possibility of this being implemented?

jugurtha
2006-06-27, 02:29 AM
I know this isn't what you're going to want to hear but why don't you just set up custom keyboard shortcuts for OW in the Keyboard pref. pane?

Abhi Beckert
2006-07-08, 04:55 PM
I know this isn't what you're going to want to hear but why don't you just set up custom keyboard shortcuts for OW in the Keyboard pref. pane?

I have, but it shouldn't be necessary. Also, new users should be given as smooth a transition as possible when playing with OmniWeb.