PDA

View Full Version : Context Perspectives

djo
2008-07-20, 02:20 AM
I really miss Context Perspectives on my iPhone.

When I first tried OmniFocus, way back before perspectives I found it to messy and unfocused with all my actions in one big basket. With the introduction of perspectives the mess cleared up, and I no longer have to create multiple "phone" contexts. I.e. one for home, one for work and so on.

While the location awareness takes care of this to some extent, I really don't want to be "bothered" with work actions in my spare time - even if I am physically close to my workplace.

It would be really nice to just swipe the title bar to change perspective, that would make it really easy to change focus on just the projects you need to focus on at any given time.

Planning perspectives need not be synced, as most planning happens in the desktop app.

What do you think ?

Christopher
2008-07-21, 02:16 PM
Yes - Perspectives is what I miss most on my iPhone. This is the one feature I would most like to see added.

skitle
2008-09-02, 11:48 AM
Count me in too

Christopher
2008-09-06, 07:10 AM
I just emailed the ninjas about it. Maybe if we all do it, this could happen?

sharpeleven
2008-09-08, 08:56 PM
+1

djo
2008-11-10, 01:40 PM
Bump!

I still miss this feature - Is it something that you have planned, and if so when do you think it will be available ?

oschultz
2008-11-11, 06:59 AM
+1

holland
2008-11-11, 08:48 AM
you lot read my mind! i REALLY miss perspectives on the iPhone. I have some lovely ones on the Mac, such as all tagged actions grouped by context - it really helps.

Here's praying this feature is added. Thanks :)

djo
2008-11-13, 03:43 PM
I have mine divided into work and personal tasks on my Mac.
It is so nice not having to look at the tons of work I have to do at "work" when I am off duty.

djo
2009-01-09, 04:27 AM
Bump!

I still miss this feature - Is it something that you have planned, and if so when do you think it will be available ?

Brian
2009-01-14, 05:36 PM
Reminder: if folks want to guarantee that their questions get answered, or that their feature requests get recorded, shooting an email to the support ninjas (omnifocus-iphone@omnigroup.com) is the way to go. We browse the forums as we're able, but you're guaranteed an response to email.

Checking the bug database, there are a fair number of emails attached to perspectives on the phone; that makes it more likely to happen.

The feature has not been formally approved or assigned to a specific release, though, so we can't give a definitive "yes, this will happen" or say when it might do so.

jdh
2009-01-15, 04:18 AM
For what it's worth, I'd be satisfied just with having "Focus" in the iPhone version for now, if perspectives is too unwieldy to try and code.

At least "Focus" would get many of us part-way there, and would likely solve the OP's problem. I also suspect it would be easier to implement from a design point of view then trying to get into perspectives, which might not even translate properly from the desktop to the iPhone.

WillisRB
2009-01-21, 06:01 AM
This is absolutely the primary downfall of the iPhone version of OF. While fully customizable perspectives on the iPhone would certainly be a challenge to implement, but if custom perspectives could be created on the desktop version and then synched to the iPhone.... In the desktop, you could check a box somehow next to a perspective to enable it to sync. Then that perspective would be loaded onto the iPhone, and although it couldn't be edited on the phone, one could easily operate from it. This would avoid having to incorporate a view bar and filtering menu on the iPhone.

ssh
2009-01-21, 06:47 AM
Count me in, as well... My contexts are not location-specific, and so perspectives are critical (example: phone is available in multiple physical places, but not on the plane), and perspectives are how I look at what I can possibly do now...

djo
2009-01-29, 11:44 AM
Reminder: if folks want to guarantee that their questions get answered, or that their feature requests get recorded, shooting an email to the support ninjas (omnifocus-iphone@omnigroup.com) is the way to go. We browse the forums as we're able, but you're guaranteed an response to email.

I did email the ninjas a long time ago... guess I'll email them again =)

Checking the bug database, there are a fair number of emails attached to perspectives on the phone; that makes it more likely to happen.

Sounds great, this is the feature I miss the most on the iPhone.

The feature has not been formally approved or assigned to a specific release, though, so we can't give a definitive "yes, this will happen" or say when it might do so.

Where should I send the bribe ? ;)

tdc
2009-02-02, 06:01 PM
Its taken me a while to mature with the GTD approach, but I am now quite reliant on perspectives as well. Perspectives that Sync to OF iPhone, would be wonderful.

+1

whittaker007
2009-07-02, 03:45 PM
+1 for me too. It makes the difference from OmniFocus iPhone being somewhat useful to a real productivity tool.

slinberg
2009-08-02, 09:05 AM
+1 from me too. PLEASE. I could live without a perspectives creator/editor on the mobile version, but please allow us to sync them from a desktop client and have them at least function on the iphone.

curt.clifton
2009-08-02, 09:55 AM
Posts on the forums are not counted in Omni's bug/feature request tracking. If you want this feature, go to the settings page of the iPhone app, tap on Send Feedback, and make your request. Those emails are processed by the support ninjas and added to the database.