PDA

View Full Version : Latest iPhone OF never syncs with WebDAV

Kovar
2008-07-21, 06:06 PM
Greetings,

I emailed this to OG but thought I'd post it in case anyone else runs into the same problem.

Good evening,

I installed a WebDAV service on our own server last week and confirmed that OF on my MacBook Pro could sync with it. I waited for the latest iPhone version as we're using a self-signed cert. I deleted the old iPhone OF and installed the new one. I sent the settings to it from the Mac. The iPhone asked me about the cert, I answered "Trust Always", and it goes to the OF screen with a Cancel button and sits there until I cancel, well in excess of ten minutes.
When I cancel, OF produces a popup "untrusted server certificate" with another Cancel button. I hit cancel there and I'm done, but nothing synced. There are no signs of the iPhone attempting to connect in the Apache logs.

Our server is running WebDAV on port 443, not 80. OF on the Mac handles this. Does the iPhone version not handle it?

Hopefully this is a quick fix and doesn't require waiting for another trip through Apple's blessing process.

-David

Kovar
2008-07-22, 02:41 PM
Greetings,

I submitted this request by email (as mentioned in the sticky note) and here and there's been deafening silence. I did pay for both OF (OS X) and OF (iPhone). I'd really like to be able to securely sync OF without shelling out still more money to some service provider to host my sensitive data on their site. I'm this close (holds fingers millimeters apart) I think. Can you help me get the rest of the way? I think the questions are:

Does OF support connecting to a WebDAV server via https?
If not, when will it?

Thank you.

-David

Lizard
2008-07-22, 02:51 PM
Sorry about the deafening silence. Our Support Ninjas are scrambling to get through as many emails as we can, but a few people are out sick, and we have gotten a LOT of email in the past week. Please be patient.

Yes, OmniFocus supports connecting to WebDAV over https. As mentioned in a few other threads on this forum, there have been a few hiccups with non-standard WebDAV servers and alternate ports, but many of those have already been addressed. Please let us know as many details as possible if you're still seeing issues, so that we can continue to improve.
(Activity Monitor samples, console errors, error dialogs, what service you're using, what version(s) of OmniFocus you're using, are all good things to tell us.)

Kovar
2008-07-22, 07:04 PM
Good evening,

There are no errors, console messages, or anything else to report. The iPhone OF app starts syncing, reports the self-signed cert, pops up a Cancel button, and sits there. If I hit cancel, the "untrusted server certificate" button is uncovered, with only a "cancel" option.

Running it again, what may be happening is this:

- Accept self signed cert button pops up
- OF screen rolls over to the home screen, covering unsigned cert warning
- Cancel button pops up, also covering cert warning

What appears to be a sync button on the iPhone OF app doesn't do anything when pressed.

SOLUTION:

Ok, played with it some more. Reset database. Went into settings, accepted them again, hit the sync button from within Settings, and it worked.

Looks like the initial failure due to buttons getting overlaid on each other prevented some of the settings from taking. Going into Settings and confirming them cleared the condition, enabling sync.

We're off and running. I am very, very pleased with OF on the iPhone and the ability to use my own WebDAV server over https.

Thank you.

-David