PDA

View Full Version : Unable to find source node

RCL
2008-08-21, 06:31 PM
Running V77.10.0.104176 and iPhone v1.0.3 currently. So far I've had virtually flawless syncing since daring to risk this alpha software 2 weeks ago or so. I'm very pleased. Only had one or two small glitches that were quickly cleared up.

Even with v1.0.3 my iPhone was taking a very long to sync, so after reading here today that the coalesce database script was good to use with v1.0.3 I ran it. Everything worked fine and the phone was fast.

Later I returned to my desktop to see a warning box saying there was a problem syncing: "...unable to find source node..." I dismissed it. Then everything was fine again, and still is.

Thought it warranted posting here, though.

whpalmer4
2008-08-21, 06:42 PM
That looks like an error from the MobileMe/.Mac iDisk sync code, not OmniFocus. If you don't absolutely need to have iDisk syncing turned on, I think you're at less risk for trouble with it turned off, at least until the Omni engineers give the all clear. In particular, take heed of this matter (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=9371).

RCL
2008-08-21, 06:46 PM
Thanks, whpalmer4. Yes, I saw the matter you referenced. I'm using iDisk for various things and drag files to it using the desktop icon, so I've had syncing turned on. Can I turn it on and off as needed, only when I want a specific file or files to be transmitted up to iDisk?

whpalmer4
2008-08-21, 08:05 PM
Thanks, whpalmer4. Yes, I saw the matter you referenced. I'm using iDisk for various things and drag files to it using the desktop icon, so I've had syncing turned on. Can I turn it on and off as needed, only when I want a specific file or files to be transmitted up to iDisk?

Do you need to be able to access the files on your iDisk when you aren't connected to the internet? That's the major thing that iDisk syncing gets you (along with sometimes faster access to large files). The user interface to the iDisk is the same whether you have syncing turned on or not. It's kind of a nuisance to turn it on and off, as it creates a big disk image file on your disk. I will caution you that you're likely to notice that it takes longer to write out big files over the network even with a fast network connection. The iDisk sync mechanism hides this from you by letting you write to the local disk, then copying the changes over the network periodically.

Lizard
2008-08-21, 09:34 PM
whpalmer4 is correct. Additionally, turning iDisk syncing on and off is just as likely, maybe even more likely, to cause problems as having it on continuously.

RCL
2008-08-22, 12:59 AM
Thanks all around. This was my first problem of this sort (and minor), so I'll probably leave things alone for now. But I'm forewarned. If I see more like it, I may then shut down the syncing. Plus I'll keep reading any comments on this and other threads.

Kudos, again, for OmniFocus while I have the floor here. I may write some general comments later in the other forum, but so far I am very impressed and pleased with the software, the people working on it and this website.

Lizard
2008-08-22, 09:22 AM
RCL: If you really really want to keep iDisk syncing on, please double-check that OmniFocus is backing up properly. There is a known issue with iDisk syncing occasionally corrupting the OmniFocus database on your server, so your next problem may be losing all your data and needing that backup.

[Note to the audience: This is the iDisk syncing in System Preferences, not the syncing that OmniFocus does.]

Lizard
2008-08-22, 11:06 AM
see also this post from Ken: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=9371