The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Location of Archives (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=10525)

beharkey 2008-11-10 09:50 AM

Location of Archives

I have a couple of questions about how OmniFocus handles the archive files

First of all, when I archive old data, where does OmniFocus put that file?

Second, everytime I archive old data, OmniFocus creates a file named something named like "OmniFocus 2008-11-09 230633 before archive". What is that file? Can I delete it if I have regular backups? Or can I change it's default location? It is currently automatically being saved here: user/Documents

Thanks!

Toadling 2008-11-10 11:06 AM

[QUOTE=beharkey;50561]First of all, when I archive old data, where does OmniFocus put that file?[/QUOTE]

The archive file is placed here (where ~ is your home directory):

~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/Archive.ofocus-archive

[QUOTE=beharkey;50561]Second, everytime I archive old data, OmniFocus creates a file named something named like "OmniFocus 2008-11-09 230633 before archive". What is that file? Can I delete it if I have regular backups?[/QUOTE]

This is a courtesy backup performed by OmniFocus before you do an archive, allowing you to easily revert back to your database prior to the archive if you find that you don't like what it did.

It's location is determined by the setting you have specified in OmniFocus -> Preferences… -> General -> Backups -> Backup Location.

Hope this helps.

-Dennis

beharkey 2008-11-10 11:37 AM

Thanks, Toadling.

There is one problem with your second answer. I currently have my preferences to store OmniFocus backups here: ~/Documents/OmniFocus Backups.

However, it is storing the "courtesy backup" here: ~/Documents

All of my other backups are saved in the correct place.

Any idea why the discreprancy?

Thanks again!

Toadling 2008-11-10 12:01 PM

[QUOTE=beharkey;50576]I currently have my preferences to store OmniFocus backups here: ~/Documents/OmniFocus Backups.

However, it is storing the "courtesy backup" here: ~/Documents

All of my other backups are saved in the correct place.

Any idea why the discreprancy?[/QUOTE]

Hmm, that is strange. I have my backups going to ~/Documents/OmniFocus Backups too, and my archive backups [I]are[/I] getting sent there as well.

Have you tried changing the location of your backups to someplace else and then back again? Maybe the preferences got confused somehow.

If that doesn't work, I'd fire off an email to the support ninjas.

-Dennis

kaijin 2008-11-10 05:55 PM

I observe the same behavior described by [B]beharkey[/B]. Courtesy back-ups—created before archiving and before updating—are being saved to ~/Documents instead of ~/Documents/OmniFocus Backups, as set in Preferences > General. Scheduled back-ups (twice a day) are saved to the correct folder.

Changing the back-up location then restoring the location does not correct the issue. Support ninjas have been notified.

Toadling 2008-11-10 08:57 PM

Very strange, indeed. I wonder why mine are successfully going to ~/Documents/OmniFocus Backups. I had assumed it was because of my preference setting, but now I'm not so sure.

-Dennis

kaijin 2008-11-11 09:25 PM

This has been reported and the support ninjas have created a bug ticket. It looks like the location of courtesy back-ups are dictated by the last save location manually designated, rather than using the location assigned in Preferences.