The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniPlan General (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Baselined and Leveled into Oblivion (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=4142)

relaxedguy 2007-07-10 04:44 PM

Baselined and Leveled into Oblivion

Last week I was checking out the Level, Catch Up and Reschedule features, as I'm in the middle of my first PM gig relying on OmniPlan.

I've managed project on and off in Excel for years. Most are too big for Word, too small for Project. You know who I am.

I bough OmniPlan, thinking I would RTFM, KISS and keep the project on track.

Lesson: The baseline, catchup reschedule and critical path are scary buttons to a newbie! I was a bad monkey and didn't back up before clicking around, so I own my screw-up, however:

Turns out most of my 350 tasks went boom, all I had was empty groups. Some tasks ended up in other groups, ouch!

I cannot possibly replicate the error, so this is not a "help me fix it" issue but I didn't think leveling a project then hitting reschedule for a few items would DELETE tasks.

After a few days of deep breathing and cursing myself for not understanding the features of OmniPlan well enough before trying out new features mid-project, I have stripped out all the View functionality down to bare bones and I basically have a $150 task manager.

I want learn exactly how the catchup, level, etc features can help me mange my small but getting larger projects. It's a sea change for me for sure, and I want to surf it out with your help. It didn't look too complex at first glance, but now every time I look at those buttons they look like they have skull and cross-bones across them.

I look forward to upgrading my PM knowledge via OmniPlan. But this was not a good way to start the journey. I see there are a few new screencasts up, I'll watch them tonight, and hope that the next version of the manual covers important features at a greater depth. Sometimes being "mac-like" is too simple, which is where I feel the manual failed me.

skwirl 2007-07-17 02:57 PM

[QUOTE=relaxedguy]I didn't think leveling a project then hitting reschedule for a few items would DELETE tasks.

I want learn exactly how the catchup, level, etc features can help me mange my small but getting larger projects. It's a sea change for me for sure, and I want to surf it out with your help. It didn't look too complex at first glance, but now every time I look at those buttons they look like they have skull and cross-bones across them.[/QUOTE]

Hi relaxedguy,

You're right, Leveling and rescheduling shouldn't delete a task, so it's concerning to hear about your issue with disappearing tasks. Do you still have the project file with the deleted tasks? If so, could you email it to us so we can check it out?

You can email the file and any other questions/feedback to us at [email]omniplan@omnigroup.com[/email].