The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniOutliner 3 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   OO Pro 4.0? (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=1673)

jem 2008-09-21 01:01 PM

I also do all graphics in OmniGraffle and copy/paste into Keynote (OG should be a required graphics program for all instructors). But for some reason I seem to be very visual and do the graphics/animations first and then add notes ... I then rearrange/edit both the graphics and the notes.

I'm curious when you say that you import PDFs into OO do you mean that there is a way to import a PDF directly? Or do you mean that you add the PDF as an attachment? Or something else?

I can't import PDFs (other as attachments) so the only way I can think of would be to create the presentation, export the graphics to individual PNGs, export the presentation to iWork 06 format (to get whatever notes I have), import that file into OO and then manually add the graphics. But that process would be one-way Keynote => OO.

Have I missed some import option?

reesd 2008-10-01 12:21 PM

It seems to me that Smart Folders are a sub-case of filtering which is what I really want. Give me a way to filter/sort the outline based on column criteria (including custom columns) and a way to switch between different filters. Its really surprising that its missing from OmniOutliner so far. For examples see Outlook, Ecco, MORE, Bonsai, TAO, Shadow, etc...

d

Roger Barre 2008-10-01 12:45 PM

The single-most important thing I'm looking for in OO 4.0 (or anything, for that matter), is the ability to use filters to look at my information in different and customizable ways. Agenda (way back when) had it, and more recently, Ecco was my most indispensable program because of it. I miss it every day. Can't wait for OO to have it.

How does tomorrow sound?

RobTrew 2008-10-02 10:26 AM

Omnifocus, then ?

drpelz 2008-10-04 12:23 PM

feature requests for OOv4

Hi,

I'd like the following features for a major v4-release of OmniOutliner (Pro):

- paste text AND clear style (would be very handy especially while browsing the web)
- a search-function similar to the one in Circus Ponies Notebook (alphabetical index)
- the ability to draw simple - really simple - diagrams
- a contextual menu clipping plug-in (would be cool for apps like Safari)
- comments should be displayed like in Apple's Pages app (i.e. on the left side)
- a function similar to the one that can be found in VoodooPad (i.e. linking, so called wiki-style)
- and last but not least: tabs (like in VoodooPad)!

Otherwise - great app.:) I wish you'd release new versions in a much shorter timespan.:/

Cheers!

DerekM 2008-10-04 09:40 PM

[QUOTE=drpelz;48318]- paste text AND clear style (would be very handy especially while browsing the web)
[/QUOTE]

The Edit -> Paste With Current Style does exactly this.

henri 2008-10-11 03:21 PM

[QUOTE=RobTrew;48188]Omnifocus, then ?[/QUOTE]
OmniFocus and OmniOutliner do different things. We can already search the first column of an outline -- why not add the same near-filtering feature to the other columns? Or better, the ability to filter based on the info in any column. That would make OO even more useful when working with a large outline.

Andrew 2008-10-12 06:55 PM

Henri, OmniOutliner can actually search on any text column, not just the first column. Sadly, it can not search on non-text columns, which I'm guessing is what led you to believe that the search was only on the first column. This is a limitation that we expect to remove in a future version.

jofftan 2008-10-28 03:01 PM

Best oo for me

I use a lot oo at work and I would like to see my teamate use it also.

Oo would kick ass for me if it as some collaborative function.
- I would like to see it recognise my teamates on the network and have them edit the doc with specific graphical something to identify who modify the doc.

- One other thing could be versioning; go in different version/revision of the doc.

- Web possibilities for edition (in the same spirit of the above)

Cog 2008-11-10 04:35 AM

[B]Vital needs in order of importance[/B]:
Filtering (the current side search list is too narrow to be useful for me)
Clones
Tags
Multi-criteria SmartSearch Folders

[B]Nice -but not necessary- touches: [/B]
Easy Manual highlighting (like CPNotebook -press a modifier and the cursor becomes a highlighter)
***** Ratings
Flagging
Linking to item from external applications

[B]Pipe dreams[/B]:
Webkit/rtf/txt/pdf viewer built into comments field
live update linking to Omnigraffle (effectively providing a mindmap view)

irfoton 2008-11-12 06:02 AM

In order of priority what I'd like to see in OO v4:

1) multiple pages with a tab interface ala Safari
2) multiple pages with a tab interface ala Safari
3) multiple pages with a tab interface ala Safari

derick 2008-11-13 10:02 PM

[QUOTE=Cog;50552][B]Vital needs in order of importance[/B]
...snip...

[B]Pipe dreams[/B]
Webkit/rtf/txt/pdf viewer built into comments field
...snip...[/QUOTE]

All this stuff is built into Cocoa & should be maybe an hour's work for a skilled programmer - nothing custom, just hook into what OS X provides.

celsee 2009-02-05 07:58 PM

[QUOTE=bluloo;7076]

How about tabs and split document windows as well. Split windows is something that I've come to depend on and can't really write without.

[/QUOTE]

Both of these would be freakin sweet. I love tabbed everything, multiple OO documents included! And I've always wished there was a split window capability in OO Pro. Something that allows for a rigid outline on the left and a more user-defined free-flowing section to the right to allow for less rigid note taking/thoughts (that is more free than the little icon to add notes to specific lines of text).

The ability to add a note a specific subset of data would be good, too (say, highlight 3 or 4 rows and hit the keyboard shortcut for note, which brackets the text (on the right of the rows) and allows for the addition of the note about those rows in the split window!

OK I'm done.

Tinchohs 2009-02-20 11:51 AM

Two things I have been waiting for...

(1) Links. At least for the way I work, I find the many times, I need the same data in more than one place in my document. For example, I keep a detailed log of my 1:1's with my reports under the People section. Yet, then I go visit a subsidiary, I have the whole meeting planned under Sub-Visits. Thus my 1:1's for that sub at that period of time are there. I end-up copying the info from one place to another. When ever a similar scenario takes place, but with more dynamic content, it becomes really hard to update and manage. I end-up with non-updated version somewhere in my document.

(2) Actions. I make it a big priority to identify within my notes, which are actions. I use the checkboxes in the current version, but it defeats the purpose that all the options I have are either on or off. If every cell has a checkbox, then they no longer serve to identify actions. Currently I format the actions in a different color until I activate them in OF, yet it does not work very well.

Hope this things can make it to the version 4 release. By the way, tabs would also be very cool, and perhaps a seach feature that looks for content across several notebooks | files. Thanks.

scotty321 2009-04-19 04:53 PM

I'd like the ability to select MULTIPLE sections in the utility window, and see all of those sections together in the main window. Sort of like the "Edit Scriveners" function in Scrivener.

Currently, we can either select one section at a time in the utility window, or the entire document. (And when clicking on the entire document, it always scrolls back to the top, which is undesirable for us.)

steinitz 2009-04-20 12:37 AM

Hi,

As mentioned many times with many different names and descriptions: links, aliases, clones... whatever you want to call them. I believe some at Omni call them urls. That includes intra OmniOutliner links to other rows in the same document as well as links to rows in other OmniOutliner documents.

And, allowing links from OmniFocus to OmniOutliner rows is just as important

Cheers,

Steve

scotty321 2009-04-21 02:39 AM

I just want to add my voice to the chorus of split windows! Multiple windows for the same document! Thank you! :)

kened 2009-05-20 09:18 AM

Oo 4.0

looking at the zoom request thread - above this one- i decided to have a look at some of the requests made in this thread. there seem to be some users who want omnioutliner to become all things to all people - a word processor / spreadsheet / database /web browser even.

the reason i love OMniOutliner is its simplicity and flexibility as an outliner - it's in its fitness for purpose (for me that means planning, brainstorming and drafting) and its elegance, that its great strength lies.

this is from the heart guys. give us zoom view in 4.00, but [B]PLEASE[/B] don't turn my favourite application bar none into a bloated monster that tries to do everything. i haven't asked but i'm willing to bet a lot of users are with me on this.

xiamenese 2009-05-20 04:53 PM

All things to all people ...

Yeah, I'm with you Kened.

As I read this thread, it seems as if people want to turn OO into a Microsoft Office substitute gawd'elpus! I too like lean and mean as possible. I don't want to write a book in Outliner, I want to create an outline and I've got Scrivener for the writing; I don't want to run my accounts or other complex calculation systems in Outliner, I've got Tables or Numbers for that; I don't want to output a fully-formatted manuscript from Outliner, I've got Nisus Writer Pro, Pages, InDesign and others for that; I don't want to surf the web in Outliner, I've got OmniWeb for that.

What I do want is export/exchange possibilities with those other apps, not a replacement for them. Cloning, or whatever you want to call it, I can understand a need/use for.

Mark

a63rve 2009-07-28 08:59 AM

[QUOTE=kened;60100]looking at the zoom request thread - above this one- i decided to have a look at some of the requests made in this thread. there seem to be some users who want omnioutliner to become all things to all people - a word processor / spreadsheet / database /web browser even.

the reason i love OMniOutliner is its simplicity and flexibility as an outliner - it's in its fitness for purpose (for me that means planning, brainstorming and drafting) and its elegance, that its great strength lies.

this is from the heart guys. give us zoom view in 4.00, but [B]PLEASE[/B] don't turn my favourite application bar none into a bloated monster that tries to do everything. i haven't asked but i'm willing to bet a lot of users are with me on this.[/QUOTE]
Zoom YES! (old eyes). Bloat NO!

soulbarn 2010-01-28 11:36 AM

What do I want in OO4?

Like the Mazda ads say…

zoom
zoom
zoom

:)

Haynes 2010-06-03 02:40 AM

Multiple Windows in OO4?

[QUOTE=scotty321;58829]I just want to add my voice to the chorus of split windows! Multiple windows for the same document! Thank you! :)[/QUOTE]

I too need multiple windows for the same outline, primarily so that I can view widely separated portions of that outline without lots of scrolling and expanding/collapsing. Thanks.

Haynes 2010-06-13 08:04 AM

Wither OOP 4?

[QUOTE=Haynes;78021]I too need multiple windows for the same outline, primarily so that I can view widely separated portions of that outline without lots of scrolling and expanding/collapsing. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

If OO Pro 4 isn't a dead project, which it appears to be, then perhaps more generally, I need an OO Pro that allows me to display in an outline an alias of any item from that or another outline. To do so, I suspect that OO Pro would internally assign a universally unique address for each "original" item (perhaps something that resembles a combination of the filepath and the "legal" "number" that would result from applying "legal" "numbering" to the "Whole Document"). It could then use this unique address to reference, link to, and display the corresponding item anywhere else.

Ideally, certain behaviors of each alias would be user-selectable, e.g.,
– whether the content of the aliased item is editable within the alias, or whether that content must be edited by directly accessing the original item;
– whether changing the expand/collapse status of the alias affects that status for the original item (or vice versa);
– whether changing a property (font, size, style, color, numbering, prefix, suffix, etc.) of the alias affects that property for the original item (or vice versa);
– whether selecting/highlighting the alias in one window causes the original item to be selected/highlighted in any other open windows in which it appears;
– etc.,
with the user being able to set default preferences for these behaviors.

Given that this thread is still hanging around after roughly 4 years, and Omni has not yet delivered OO Pro 4, what are others using to fill this or similar needs?

Brian 2010-06-15 06:23 PM

[QUOTE=Haynes;78517]If OO Pro 4 isn't a dead project, which it appears to be...[/QUOTE]

Long delayed, but definitely not dead. Original plan was OmniPlan 1.0, then OmniOutliner 4. And then came the shift to Intel processors, which required us to update all the apps. Then the iPhone. Also, iPad. Didn't really seem like we could sit those ones out, you know?

(OmniFocus, that one we brought on ourselves. But there are folks out there that depend on it just as much as you do on OmniOutliner, so I can't say I regret the decision. There's also a lot of code overlap, so OO will benefit from a lot of the work that went into OF.)

In any case, a totally understandable frustration; just wanted to provide a bit of explanation as to why it's taken so long. :-)

blackacre 2010-06-18 02:40 PM

[QUOTE=Brian;78695]Long delayed, but definitely not dead. Original plan was OmniPlan 1.0, then OmniOutliner 4. And then came the shift to Intel processors, which required us to update all the apps. Then the iPhone. Also, iPad. Didn't really seem like we could sit those ones out, you know?

(OmniFocus, that one we brought on ourselves. But there are folks out there that depend on it just as much as you do on OmniOutliner, so I can't say I regret the decision. There's also a lot of code overlap, so OO will benefit from a lot of the work that went into OF.)

In any case, a totally understandable frustration; just wanted to provide a bit of explanation as to why it's taken so long. :-)[/QUOTE]

Hi Brian,

I know we are sounding like a broken record, and I know you guys said you don't want to tell us what the date is because you don't want to disappoint us... but can you please give us some sort of estimate about when OO4 and OO for ipad will be out? For my own purposes, I need to know whether I can wait it out or I need to abandon OO and find another program that works on the ipad.

I'm not looking for anything specific, but some kind of estimate: Is it a few weeks? Are we talking months? The end of the year? Next year??

Thanks!

P.S. Yes, I did just register to post this, but that doesn't mean I haven't been using OO and lurking here for a while, I REALLY can't wait to see what you guys do with OO4 and the iPad version!

whpalmer4 2010-06-18 03:06 PM

Ken has been posting his thoughts on these matters on the Omni blog.

from earliest to most recent:

[url]http://www.omnigroup.com/blog/entry/iPad_or_Bust[/url]

[url]http://www.omnigroup.com/blog/entry/iPad_or_Bust_two_weeks_later/[/url]

[url]http://www.omnigroup.com/blog/entry/ipad_or_bust_2_down_3_to_go/[/url]