The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   OmniFocus auto launches (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=13377)

Czymra 2009-08-11 11:14 PM

OmniFocus auto launches

Hello,

I've been googling and searching these forums to no avail but my OmniFocus trial is launching up after log-in and then at random or regular times again without my doing anything.
It's not in the Login Items or any other place I can think of.
Evidently, I don't want this program to open without my willing so.

Thanks,
Czymra

paulstone 2009-08-12 02:53 AM

Do you have Mail.app open, and do you have the mail rule installed? Perhaps email that comes in is triggering the rule (which in turn will open up OmniFocus.

Or... is the the Quick Entry panel opening up at the same time as the main program? If it was, that would imply that there might be something like a keyboard shortcut triggering the Clipping/Inbox feature. You can check what it is currently set up to be in OmniFocus' preferences.

Hope that helps.
Paul.

Czymra 2009-08-12 11:32 PM

Hi there Paulstone,

I just noticed I hadn't set up a subscription.
I suppose you are correct in saying that Mail autostarts OmniFocus. I have installed that plugin but haven't really figured how to use it. There is no rule set up as far as I know. I'll have a look into it.

Thanks.

Czymra 2009-08-13 04:58 AM

Actually, no. I didn't do a thing but start iChat just now and OmniFocus launched within 2 minutes of startup. No thing that could have triggered it apart from some internal schedule that I'm completely ignorant of maybe?

curt.clifton 2009-08-13 05:38 AM

Strange. Were you typing into iChat? If so, is there any chance that you unknowingly hit the "Services → Send to Inbox" hot-key for OF? Or perhaps some hot-key configured in a launcher applications like Quicksilver or Butler?

Other far-out possibilities are iCal or cron. Any chance that you set up a repeating event in iCal with an "alarm" to launch OmniFocus?

You might want to email the support ninjas (choose Help → Send Feedback within OF). They've probably seen more ways that OF might be triggered and might provide other suggestions.

Good luck.

whpalmer4 2009-08-13 06:08 AM

Another oddball possibility that comes to mind is that you've gotten your launch services database screwed up somehow and associated some other file type with OmniFocus, so that when the system is asked to open one of those files, it fires up OmniFocus.

derekr 2009-08-13 10:33 AM

Finally, one more suggestion. ;-)

Did you download OmniFidget? (Our Dashboard widget.)

It launches OmniFocus to check when activated.

Czymra 2009-08-13 11:51 PM

[QUOTE=derekr;64519]Finally, one more suggestion. ;-)

Did you download OmniFidget? (Our Dashboard widget.)

It launches OmniFocus to check when activated.[/QUOTE]

That's it. I have Dashboard Kickstart installed and whenever I triggered the dashboard again, OmniFocus would start with a certain delay. Hm.... I'd call that rather unpredictable behaviour. Sure iTunes Widgets launch iTunes, but I don't want to be running OmniFocus in the background all the time. That's what I did with Things...
Anyway, I called the ninjas and obviously the ticket has been solved now.

One other thing that surprised me: When I selected "Sync with Server" for the first time, OmniFocus picked up all my tasks that were in Things. I would have thought that they come from iCal ToDo's but were they actually synced over mobileme? Anyway, nice deal in getting beginners to the point where things just work.

As for workflowing, I find it really difficult to deal with my lists outside of the "Today" field... but I guess I'm just new to GTD as it's supposed to be done.

Thanks, again.

JKT 2009-08-14 02:18 AM

A word of advice - if you are synching OmniFocus between two or more devices (e.g. your desktop and iPhone) via WebDAV/MobileMe, you really should leave it open on your desktop if you can. It helps to keep the synching speeds down.

Czymra 2009-08-15 05:37 AM

[QUOTE=JKT;64562]A word of advice - if you are synching OmniFocus between two or more devices (e.g. your desktop and iPhone) via WebDAV/MobileMe, you really should leave it open on your desktop if you can. It helps to keep the synching speeds down.[/QUOTE]

See, this is a thing that I wouldn't have noticed I was missing until you said it.
Why doesn't OmniFocus sync WITH MobileMe across its Panel like Transmit Favourites or the Kotoeri Dictionary do?