The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   OmniFocus takes a while to load (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=7005)

HyggeligKar 2008-02-01 11:21 AM

OmniFocus takes a while to load

Everytime i close the OmniFocus window, it takes a few seconds to open (+ the "opening OF document" dialog) it if I click on the OF icon in the dock. Wouldn't it be a better idea if it was loaded all the time, thus being able to se your due / inbox items without having OF hided or active?

I also think OF should drop its proxy icon in the title bar, as it has no relevance for the app (i get it in word, omnioutliner and that stuff, but you [I]only[/I] work with your trusted system in OF, and that's a single file). I know this is not a big deal, but I just wanted to state my opinion.

What do you think? Is this bugs, or features?

Craig 2008-03-15 05:13 AM

[QUOTE=HyggeligKar;32256]Wouldn't it be a better idea if it was loaded all the time, thus being able to se your due / inbox items without having OF hided or active?[/QUOTE]

I really dislike that the database closes when there are no OF windows open, which I think is the cause of the problem you describe. I just sent this to "Send Feedback":

[QUOTE]I really find it annoying that the OmniFocus database closes when the last open window is closed. With this type of application (working primarily or exclusively with one document; thinking of the window as a "view" onto a document, rather than being the document itself), it seems MUCH more fitting in my opinion to keep the document open unless it is explicitly closed with a File menu command. I often want perspectives I've been viewing out of the way, but I basically never want to close my database. I wish I didn't have to think before closing a perspective "wait, is this the last remaining window?"
[/QUOTE]

pvonk 2008-03-15 05:55 AM

When I close the OF window and later click the OF icon on the dock to open another window, it opens in under 2 seconds, more like 1 sec.

I guess it depends on how much data you have in the database. I currently have 34 projects with a variable number of tasks in each.

Toadling 2008-03-15 07:56 AM

[QUOTE=Craig;34506]I really dislike that the database closes when there are no OF windows open, which I think is the cause of the problem you describe. I just sent this to "Send Feedback":[/QUOTE]

What version are you running? In the recently released 1.0.1, the app continues to run even after all the windows are closed. I honestly don't know if this was the behavior before (never bothered to check), but it seems to work this way now.

[QUOTE=HyggeligKar;32256]I also think OF should drop its proxy icon in the title bar, as it has no relevance for the app (i get it in word, omnioutliner and that stuff, but you [I]only[/I] work with your trusted system in OF, and that's a single file). I know this is not a big deal, but I just wanted to state my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Except that OmniFocus [I]does[/I] work with multiple documents. I don't actually do this myself, but you could have multiple databases, perhaps kept on encrypted disk images or on a remote device like an iDisk.

However, I think there were some limitations to running multiple databases. Was it something to do with using the Quick Entry window? I can't remember, but I saw it some place in this forum.

RobTrew 2008-03-15 09:49 AM

[B]File>Rebuild Database[/B] in the OF menu might be worth using occasionally. It consolidates all the small transaction files into one file, and can noticeably reduce load time.

Craig 2008-03-15 10:00 AM

[QUOTE=pvonk]When I close the OF window and later click the OF icon on the dock to open another window, it opens in under 2 seconds, more like 1 sec.[/QUOTE]

Wow, mine takes about 7 seconds these days.

But even if it were 1 second, I would probably still voice this issue, as I don't understand the point of making a reloading of the document necessary...

[QUOTE=Toadling]What version are you running? In the recently released 1.0.1, the app continues to run even after all the windows are closed.[/QUOTE]

I'm running 1.0.1 also. The [B]app[/B] continues to run but the [B]document[/B] closes.

[QUOTE=RobTrew]File>Rebuild Database in the OF menu might be worth using occasionally. It consolidates all the small transaction files into one file, and can noticeably reduce load time.[/QUOTE]

That reduced restart time, but only to 5-6 seconds...

Toadling 2008-03-15 10:43 AM

A couple other things you can try to improve performance:

1) Hide things you don't need. OmniFocus's performance seems directly related to the number of visible nodes. So put things "On Hold", collapsed sections you don't need to see, focus on particular folders, etc. Fortunately, OF has lots of options for controlling viewable data.

2) Don't leave the Library item in the sidebar selected (or no items selected). This causes the entire database to be rendered in the content area, which can be slow if you've got a lot of things in there. Instead, select a project or folder, then quit the app so OF will preserve that window state.

3) I personally really like this hidden default. It makes OF behave like many other OS X apps in that when nothing is selected in the sidebar, nothing gets displayed in the content area (rather than the entire Library being displayed). With nothing displayed in the content area, launching the app and switching between planning and context mode is very fast.

[COLOR="Blue"]defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus LeaveEmptySelectionEmpty -bool YES[/COLOR]

danielcompton 2012-07-16 04:43 PM

This option is amazing! This has made OF so much faster. Thanks so much.

defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus LeaveEmptySelectionEmpty -bool YES