The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus for iPhone (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Feature Request- Notifications for Start date (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=20317)

chinezeks 2011-03-03 08:54 AM

Feature Request- Notifications for Start date

Yes I've submitted countless numbers of feature request for this months ago. My qualm here is the fact that one can't set a notification for start, rather there is one for Due. As to how people use it that way, I don't know. I'd much rather be informed of when my task is to start than when it's due. If anyone feels the same way can they please send a feature request to Omni for this. The more requests we have the faster this feature can get implemented. Seems to be one of the few aspects stopping Omnifocus from perfection for me.

psidnell 2011-03-03 11:16 AM

[QUOTE=chinezeks;94359]... My qualm here is the fact that one can't set a notification for start, rather there is one for Due ...[/QUOTE]

You can set up OmniFocus so that the task becomes visible after the start time, but I'm not sure I quite grasp the philosophy of a start time notification.

Is it so that you don't need to repeatedly look in OmniFocus to check if there's anything you should have started, but rather have it tell you?

I must admit I have daily repeating OmniFocus task that reminds me to look in OmniFocus every morning for pretty much that reason :-)

On the GTD side of things, if the task is SO BIG it MUST be started on time in order to finish on time, then perhaps it's a project, not a task, and needs breaking down - and the first task is to start the project - on time.

I think the problem for me is that I don't know how I'd use the feature, can you give an example?

whpalmer4 2011-03-03 11:43 AM

An example would be a phone call to someone in a different time zone. You don't have to call them at some specific time, but you don't want to call before they are at the office/awake/whatever. So you put in a start date (and time) and go about your other activities, and you get a notification when the time comes to remind you that you've got a new task ready for action.

The desktop version gives Available notifications through Growl...

psidnell 2011-03-03 12:04 PM

[QUOTE=whpalmer4;94365]... The desktop version gives Available notifications through Growl...[/QUOTE]

Interesting, I didn't know that.

I see what you mean from the example though.

I realise now that what I've been doing in similar circumstances (without really thinking about it) is to create a reminder task (which functions like your start notification) and when it goes off I'll push back the due time (much easier in 1.9) to the *real* due time.

For example my kids might have some homework that's got to be handed in on Thursday morning, so I'll create a task that's due on Wednesday night called "Do Homework for Thursday".

When that goes off I nag them, and then reschedule it for the morning so I can remind them to take it to school.

I can see now how a start notification would simplify this, but I think I'd want to choose per task if I wanted it or not since I mostly use the start time to reduce the visibility of non urgent items.

Brian 2011-03-03 03:48 PM

So it's as easy as possible for folks to email the support ninjas and let them know they'd like to see this added, here's [EMAIL="omnifocus-iphone@omnigroup.com"]a link that does so[/EMAIL]. :-)

Thanks, everyone!