The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniWeb General (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   opening pop-ups / links in tabs? (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=1905)

pOps 2006-10-16 03:34 PM

opening pop-ups / links in tabs?

I am looking for a way to have (javascript-) pop-ups (or any pop-ups or links really) open in a new tab instead of a new window by default..
I basically never want to have more than one omniweb window open..

how do I set out to do this?

thanks, eric.

troyb 2006-10-20 09:19 AM

This isn't possible in OmniWeb quite yet but it is something we hope to do for the future.

Thanks!

zottel 2006-10-21 02:13 PM

Ummm ... what about [CODE]defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 OWOpenNewFramesInTabs -bool true[/CODE]?

Forrest 2006-10-21 02:39 PM

Yeah, but it needs some preferences for it otherwise it's a complete PITA.

pOps 2006-10-21 07:08 PM

I'm looking for something like the tab-mix-plus plugin for firefox.

important as well is that my google results open in a new tab instead of a new window..
right now it seems like I can only choose between new window or same tab..

but good to hear you're working on this function..
while on the subject of tabs: maybe in a next update also the option to have the tab-bar horizontally instead of the now default side-bar?

keep on the good work!

eric.

PS zottel: where do I paste that code, and what will it do exactly?

troyb 2006-10-24 08:45 AM

[QUOTE=zottel]Ummm ... what about [CODE]defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 OWOpenNewFramesInTabs -bool true[/CODE]?[/QUOTE]

This option also bypasses the pop-up blocker which one is likely to find frustrating. But you're right... there is this as an option if someone wants to dig around in the terminal.

troyb 2006-10-24 08:46 AM

[QUOTE=pOps]

PS zottel: where do I paste that code, and what will it do exactly?[/QUOTE]

Just open up a terminal window and paste the command in. Make sure OmniWeb is not running while you do it.

zottel 2006-10-26 03:20 PM

Probably a bit late, but as to what it does: OW will now NEVER open a new window, only new tabs, when you click on links. You might want to forbid Javascripts to resize or rearrange windows in the security preferences, as this will affect the whole window with all the other tabs in it when a little dialog is opened by a website that is designed to be small.

Which brings me to another suggestion: Opera has (or at least had?) an MDI solution for this: Tabs could be smaller than the Opera window so resizing only affects the tab window, not the whole browser window. A nice feature if you don't like more than one browser window, like me. :-)

troyb 2006-10-26 04:13 PM

[QUOTE=zottel]Probably a bit late, but as to what it does: OW will now NEVER open a new window, only new tabs, when you click on links. You might want to forbid Javascripts to resize or rearrange windows in the security preferences, as this will affect the whole window with all the other tabs in it when a little dialog is opened by a website that is designed to be small.
[/QUOTE]

Also, this preference bypasses your pop-up blocker setting so you may see more pop-ups than normal.

TeamTwentySeven 2006-10-28 08:58 PM

To get google results to open in a new tab instead of new window can't you just edit the site preferences for google.com and tell it to open links to other site in a new tab? This works for me.