The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniGraffle General (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   We need DXF conversion or an easier way to enter cood's for Stencil's (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=1713)

dude 2006-09-17 07:47 PM

We need DXF conversion or an easier way to enter cood's for Stencil's

I hate to say this but it is freekn unelieveable we can't have a DXF or some kind of simple utility that will allow us to convert some AutoCad / CAD shapes into OG easier. I know there is a detailed way posted somewhere but people, we use Mac's, not PC's. ;)

How about a way to import a DXF file so that file can be shaded and stuff just like your guys included stencils?

Talk about being the bomb.

dude 2007-04-14 06:23 PM

bump because this is important

dude 2007-11-17 07:10 PM

Bump because this is a feature request. It can't be that bad of an idea with all the CAD programs with great stuff ready to go can it?

dude 2008-03-01 07:19 PM

Can someone from omni respond to this thread?

I think the creation of stencils are crucial to the success of OG and gratifies the end user. Maybe if we can't do the AutoCad export we can get a stencil maker that would make it easier to create nice stencils.

Having the ability to export AutoCad blocks or snippets would be awesome.

Thoughts from anyone on this?

dghpts 2009-04-28 08:45 AM

Guys!
I just ran into project where I need to create a ton of drawings and diagrams, the engineers can give me DXF or DWG files.
Is there a way we can import these??
I really don't want to have to go to a different "less reliable" product.

Danny

Joel 2009-04-28 10:01 AM

There's currently no way to get DXF or DWG directly into OmniGraffle, you'd have to round trip through something like Illustrator and then into OmniGraffle Professional, unfortunately.

dude 2009-08-06 11:29 AM

[QUOTE=Joel;59164]There's currently no way to get DXF or DWG directly into OmniGraffle, you'd have to round trip through something like Illustrator and then into OmniGraffle Professional, unfortunately.[/QUOTE]

How would I export from Illustrator into OGP?

dude 2009-08-06 11:31 AM

[QUOTE=Joel;59164]There's currently no way to get DXF or DWG directly into OmniGraffle, you'd have to round trip through something like Illustrator and then into OmniGraffle Professional, unfortunately.[/QUOTE]

How would I export from Illustrator into OGP?

Is there a best practice? I know to save as a PDF and then open in OGP. Is that my only solution here?

Joel 2009-08-06 11:41 AM

Either save as PDF and directly open in OmniGraffle Professional, or save as a PDF-compatible .ai file. Text doesn't come in so well, but normal bezier shapes and lines are okay. Illustrator supports open or non-closed shapes, which will come in as a closed bezier shape in OmniGraffle.

dude 2009-08-18 06:50 PM

Joel, this works quite well. At least if all the ACAD scales are set the same. Thanks for the tip. I can make this work.