The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus for iPhone (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Siri + OmniFocus [Siri support added in OmniFocus for iPhone v1.13] (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=22292)

steve3001 2011-10-20 04:22 AM

I had the same idea but decided that it would be more fun to pretend I have a personal assistant or butler! So I created a contact called "Alfred" (I don't know any real Alfred's) and gave him my email address with +omnifocus inserted before the @ symbol.
Works a treat!

denno 2011-10-20 01:36 PM

what is the purpose of including "+omnifocus" in the email address for "Omni Focus"

Brian 2011-10-20 03:58 PM

[QUOTE=denno;103156]what is the purpose of including "+omnifocus" in the email address for "Omni Focus"[/QUOTE]

OmniFocus for Mac includes a feature that can add a Mail rule which looks for specially-formatted emails and copies the contents into your inbox.

If your mail server supports it, including that info in the subject line will flag the message as intended for OmniFocus without messing up the servers' ability to deliver the message to your account. (The other option is to tell the mail rule to look for a sequence of characters in the subject line.)

If you take a look at the "Processing Mail messages into actions" page in OmniFocus for Mac's help menu material, it runs through the feature in more detail. Hope this helps!

denno 2011-10-20 04:48 PM

Thanks--I have a rule that looks for a subject line that starts with "--". Didn't know about the other method but I'm using Outlook for Mac so don't think that will work.

[QUOTE=Brian;103165]OmniFocus for Mac includes a feature that can add a Mail rule which looks for specially-formatted emails and copies the contents into your inbox.

If your mail server supports it, including that info in the subject line will flag the message as intended for OmniFocus without messing up the servers' ability to deliver the message to your account. (The other option is to tell the mail rule to look for a sequence of characters in the subject line.)

If you take a look at the "Processing Mail messages into actions" page in OmniFocus for Mac's help menu material, it runs through the feature in more detail. Hope this helps![/QUOTE]

cellmatrix 2011-10-20 06:39 PM

[QUOTE=derekr;102558]Added a few votes for Siri integration (if it were to be made available for third-party developers) to our database.[/QUOTE]
Lack of formal third party invitations didn't stop RTM from fully integrating Siri.
[QUOTE=derekr;102558] I'd encourage anyone else who'd like to see that email us [URL="mailto:omnifocus-iphone@omnigroup.com"]here[/URL].[/QUOTE]
With [URL="http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/10/17iPhone-4S-First-Weekend-Sales-Top-Four-Million.html"]4 million 4S iPhones sold in the first three days[/URL], you don't need polls or emails to figure out that there is a huge need for integrating omnifocus with Siri as well as a huge business opportunity for Omni.

Christian 2011-10-20 07:36 PM

How reliable is Siri, though? I did not buy a 4s so far and I think I will just wait for the 5 next year when my contract needs renewal anyways. 4s just doesn't add anything I really need since I don't play games and hence am happy with my CPU.

What I wonder is, how perfect is siri's voice recognition? It is certainly one thing to dictate a text message informing somebody that you will arrive an hour late. It's another thing to dictate a task that might have an important due date. Can you 100% rely on Siri to recognise the due date correctly and not get you into major trouble?

Billiam 2011-10-20 10:31 PM

Siri intregation

I would like to say
"Siri ADD buy apples to groceries CONTEXT in Omnifocus."
OR "Siri Omnifocus buy apples" and have it added to the inbox.

Greg Jones 2011-10-21 03:47 AM

[QUOTE=Christian;103175]How reliable is Siri, though?... What I wonder is, how perfect is siri's voice recognition?[/QUOTE]
My initial observation is that Siri is very, very good at English VR.

[quote]Can you 100% rely on Siri to recognise the due date correctly and not get you into major trouble?[/quote]
I would be very content to have the ability to add tasks to the Inbox for later processing. I don't know if I would ever trust any VR system to add the metadata of project, context, start/due dates, etc. As you mention, there is too much at stake to risk a potential error in the process.

avandelay 2011-10-21 07:52 PM

[QUOTE=Christian;103175]How reliable is Siri, though?[/QUOTE]

Easily reliable enough to capture an action or an idea when you're in a hurry and don't want to type. I've played with it a fair amount and it's quite accurate. (And I suspect it will get more accurate over time as people use and train the computers that run it).

As far as entering dates and whatnot, I usually batch process my inbox later anyway, and would never trust voice recognition with that kind of detail.

The method blackketter describes works brilliantly -- though it does require a Mac somewhere to be online and running Mail -- and subsequently syncing to your OF database. Kind of a lot of overhead, but it'll definitely do for now.

EricMontgomery 2011-10-25 03:56 PM

[QUOTE=blackketter;102968]I used OmniFocus on the Mac and the email rule setting along with an address book entry to make it easy for Siri to create OmniFocus items. Now I can say something like this to Siri:

"Tell Omnifocus Pick Up Books At Library"

And it works.

Here's what I did:

1. In OmniFocus on the Mac, use the OmniFocus Preferences to turn on a Mail rule, allowing for the from address in emails sent through the AT&T SMS gateway (in the form [email]2125551212@mms.att.net[/email])

2. Double check the new email rule in the Mail Preferences

3. Create a contact with the first name "Omni" and last name "Focus" (it had a hard time when I created a contact with the name "omnifocus". Set the email address for that contact to be [email]youremail+omnifocus@yourprovider.com[/email]

Thus, when you say "tell omnifocus" to Siri, it'll create a text message to send to that address, which in turn, when received, will trigger the mail rule to create an omnifocus item. It's a little bit convoluted, but doesn't require AppleScript hacking and works well for me so far.

Hopefully, the geniuses at Omni Group will come up with a more elegant and general solution soon, but in the mean time this will do.

p.s. If you don't want to use SMS, you could also say to Siri: "Email Omnifocus..." but this requires an extra step to fill out the email message body.[/QUOTE]

I'm either doing something wrong here (quite possible) or your instructions are missing a vital piece that's obvious to a more experienced user. Here's my experience with this so far:

1.) OK. Done.

2.) OK. Done.

3.) OK. Done. (New Omnifocus now has an email address of [email]Eric.Montgomery+omnifocus@yahoo.com[/email])

4.) When I send a text to "Omni Focus" (through Siri or manually) I get an error back saying that [email]Eric.Montgomery+omnifocus@yahoo.com[/email] doesn't exist (which it doesn't). So the rule is useless at this point.

What am I missing?