The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus Syncing (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Crazy Idea: OF web client using MobileMe? (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=12693)

Russell 2009-06-01 06:51 AM

Crazy Idea: OF web client using MobileMe?

This is off the top of my head so bear with me...

First of all, I have to give props to the OmniGroup for what they have done with OmniFocus. I use the Mac client and iPhone client using the MobileMe iDisk as a syncing point. I've had it working flawlessly for the most part since OF for the iPhone was released. So what OmniGroup has right now is awesome and I love it.

Problem Statement: I, like others on this forum, use the Mac OS at home and a Windows OS at work. I use OF for all of my tasks (work included) so that all my tasks are in one place. Yes, I [I]could[/I] use Outlook as a task manager at work, but it requires a separate place for work tasks and I've tried this and inevitably the Outlook tasks become stale from lack of use. Also, my workplace blocks a lot of websites and services so MobileMe won't sync with my Outlook (I wouldn't want this anyway as then my personal data would be on a work machine).

Proposed Solution: Since I'm already using MobileMe's iDisk and I'm assuming a nice collection of users are as well, what if MobileMe's services could be used to provide a web client for OF? I am able to access MobileMe from work (except for iDisk, which work blocks the URL). Would it be possible for a webpage to run from the MobileMe web hosting portion that had access to the OF file on iDisk?

I'm not a web developer or programmer so how this could be accomplished is beyond me. It just seems feasible for a webpage to be hosted on my MobileMe account that can access (via a secure method) my OF file on iDisk.

Security would be a concern here since a webpage would be accessing the OF database, but maybe it could work...

Thoughts?

I've [URL="http://tweader.com/conversation.php?id=1599240753"]heard Omni has something in the works[/URL] as a proposed solution my problem. Looking forward to see what's coming down the pipe.

filmgeek 2009-06-01 08:48 AM

MobileMe doesn't allow the running of software on the Apple End (you'd need to implement some software on Apple's servers...and apple doesn't allow that sort of hosting.)

I can see two different possibilities from OmniGroup.

1) They make their own web client (with or without a charge) that uses your data on MobileMe.
2) They make a Windows app of OF.

Toadling 2009-06-01 09:14 AM

[QUOTE=filmgeek;60677]I can see two different possibilities from OmniGroup.

1) They make their own web client (with or without a charge) that uses your data on MobileMe.
2) They make a Windows app of OF.[/QUOTE]

Just to clarify something I believe filmgeek intended in point #1 but might not be clear: I'm pretty sure the OmniFocus web client would have to live somewhere other than on MobileMe (your own web server or hosting service with PHP/Ruby/Python support or on an Omni-supported server).

But, like filmgeek points out, the web client could still access your OmniFocus database stored on MobileMe.

-Dennis

Russell 2009-06-01 09:40 AM

I was wondering about the Omni webserver idea.
Could have a domain like myomnifocus.com or myof.com or a sub-domain of omnigroup.com.

Hopefully the solution is coming down the pipe soon from Omni.
Heck, I'd even be willing to beta test the thing...

txaggie90 2009-07-03 01:18 PM

I have to agree with this. OF needs a web based way of accessing the databases. I would even be willing to pay a reasonable subscription fee to have this kind of access.

I have the iPhone version and the Mac version, but I need to figure out a solution to get access on a Windows machine (unfortunately, the company I work at has this unreasonable policy of being a Windows only shop).

It is nice having the iPhone application, but it can get tedious entering in tons of tasks at work on the little keyboard. A web application would be the best solution.

Anyone figured out the best work-around solution for getting access? How does the Google tools work with OF? Or is there a better solution?

EDIT:
BTW, having the "in the cloud" solution would also make Push Notifications for the iPhone client much easier as well.

Toadling 2009-07-03 02:38 PM

[QUOTE=txaggie90;62180]I have to agree with this. OF needs a web based way of accessing the databases. I would even be willing to pay a reasonable subscription fee to have this kind of access.[/QUOTE]

Rumor has it that Omni is working on some kind of web client. So we may be in luck!

[QUOTE=txaggie90;62180]unfortunately, the company I work at has this unreasonable policy of being a Windows only shop[/QUOTE]

Ugh, I totally sympathize with you there. What's wrong with these people?! :-)

[QUOTE=txaggie90;62180]BTW, having the "in the cloud" solution would also make Push Notifications for the iPhone client much easier as well.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, I don't think so. Or at least there'd still be some significant problems. As you may know, web apps typically only run on a user-initiated request. So they're not well-suited for sending scheduled notifications.

So we'd need to use cron or similar scheduling facility. But that makes system requirements steeper if you run it on a user-provided host. And if Omni hosted the service, they'd need to start managing other people's data, which is also a dicey proposition.

Even if these problems are solved, there's still the need for a constant network connection for the notifications to work, which isn't really very good for a large portion of users (i.e. iPod touch owners).

As Omni stated in another thread, what they really need is on-device notifications. So OmniFocus can independently display a scheduled message at any time, even when the app is not running and no network connection is available.

I may be missing something, but these are the issues as I understand them. Maybe Apple is listening and Omni will eventually get the system support it needs.

-Dennis

Toadling 2009-07-03 02:55 PM

Oh, one more thing about notifications: I read somewhere (Twitter maybe?) that Omni is working on a way to schedule notifications with iCal, which of course will also sync to the iPhone/iPod touch and work without a constant network connection.

So maybe it's not a perfect solution, but might provide most of the functionality people are looking for now without having to wait for Apple to add some kind of dedicated support for on-device notifications.

Unfortunately, I haven't heard anything on a release date, so no idea when it's coming.

-Dennis