The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   bug in status filter "due soon" when showing grouped tasks in project view (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=14749)

Toadling 2010-05-16 08:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=palmer108;77318]Dennis, do you have 1.8 installed or are you running from the .dmg? I don't suppose that could make the difference, could it?[/QUOTE]

I have 1.8 installed in my /Applications folder. But I don't think that should make a difference.

Have you gone through your example project and double-checked to make sure the actions themselves have due dates? Or maybe better yet, try creating a brand new test project like this and I'll do the same:

[CODE]
- Test Project
- Action Group
- Action 1
- Action 2 (due tomorrow)
- Action 3 (due tomorrow)
- Action 4 (due tomorrow)
- Action 5
[/CODE]

When creating the 3 actions with due dates, you can just type "tomorrow" in the due date field and OmniFocus will automatically calculate the appropriate date.

So mine looks like this in planning mode:

[ATTACH]1391[/ATTACH]

And here it is in context mode (with view bar settings similar to the due perspective):

[ATTACH]1392[/ATTACH]

Does yours look anything like this?

-Dennis

palmer108 2010-05-16 09:03 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Right. For example, with status filter at any status:

[ATTACH]1393[/ATTACH]

with status filter at due soon:

[ATTACH]1394[/ATTACH]

with status filter at due soon but with a due date added to the group:

[ATTACH]1395[/ATTACH]

Toadling 2010-05-17 09:00 AM

Ah, I think the difference is that my Due Soon perspective uses context mode, while your screenshots are showing planning/project mode. And sure enough, when I try the test again in planning/project mode, I see the same behavior you're reporting.

So the problem seems to be that when you have due soon or overdue actions inside an action group and you filter by the Due Soon status filter in [B]planning mode[/B], OmniFocus doesn't display those nested actions -- it only displays due soon or overdue actions at the [B]top level[/B] of each project.

Does that pretty much sum it up? It sure looks like this is a bug that still exists in the the 1.8 sneaky peeks.

-Dennis

PS - I think most people are using context mode to view their due items. Maybe that's why this issue doesn't seem to be getting much feedback.

palmer108 2010-05-17 10:18 AM

Right. So we are seeing the same result.

Brian 2010-05-17 11:31 AM

I can confirm what you guys are seeing - that filter works correctly in Context mode but is broken in Project mode. Updating the item in the dev database so the team knows this still needs a fix.

Palmer, is a context mode perspective viable as a workaround until we get this fixed?

palmer108 2010-05-17 12:00 PM

Yes, after reading Dennis' suggestion, I've shifted to context for my due soon perspective. I've linked a due soon context perspective to the due soon projects perspective so I can switch back and forth as required. It will serve for the time being.

Thank you for your help, and please keep us posted. When do you expect version 1.8 will go live? Is there any significant issues with the sneaky peek version or am I safe to install and start using it?

Brian 2010-05-18 03:17 PM

Palmer, I'm not aware of any bugs you should be particularly concerned about in the sneaky peek builds; that isn't a guarantee that none exist, of course. For what it's worth, I'm trusting my OmniFocus database to the sneaky peek builds, and I haven't had any problems yet.

With the 1.8 release, we're trying to continue our efforts to streamline OmniFocus' workflow and make it easier for new folks to learn the application. If you'd like to be part of that discussion, it may be worth installing the sneaky peek builds, but if you just want to get on your work, there's no real downside to sticking with the current release.

For more information on the workflow changes we're discussing, check [URL="http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=16005"]this thread[/URL]. That should give you enough information to make a decision as to whether 1.8 makes sense in your workflow. Hope this helps!

palmer108 2010-05-18 03:27 PM

Ok. I'm in. The filters are far better this way, especially the reorganization of the availability and status filters. Thanks for your help.