The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniGraffle General (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   hide note and key/value pair popup? (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=18053)

fleers 2010-09-21 10:38 AM

hide note and key/value pair popup?

This should be an easy one, but I can't seem to be able to figure it out.

I imported a stencil in which the objects are populated with many key:value pairs. These are useful, but I don't want to see them every time I hover over the object with the cursor. Is there a way to hide these? If I delete all of them, there is no popup, but I see these being useful [B]when[/B] I choose to go investigate.

DerekAsirvadem 2010-09-28 01:42 AM

AFAIK, we do not have a "Show/Hide Notes" and "Show/Hide Key:Value Pairs" in the Preferences. You need to post a Feature Request via Help/SendFeedback.

Until then, be careful where you hover ;-}

zeropegleg 2012-05-08 12:08 PM

How to suppress note popups from imported visio stencils

Hi I'm just wondering if there is a way to suppress the note popups when you hover over objects? 99% of the time, when one imports a visio stencil from places like visiocafe, they come with notes for the object. When you hover over the object, the note will popup. This hovering can be very annoying and I can't figure out how to defeat this feature??

whpalmer4 2012-05-08 12:20 PM

Would you settle for being rid of the notes altogether? An Applescript that just strips them out of the current document should be easy enough. Otherwise, as Derek said, make a feature request with Help->Send Feedback.

RobTrew 2012-05-08 10:12 PM

Stripping notes out is certainly straightforward, though irreversible ...

[CODE]-- CAUTION !! DESTROYS NOTES PERMANENTLY …
tell application id "OGfl" to tell canvas of front window to set notes of graphics to ""[/CODE]

There is, however, a bit of a land-mine to avoid if you start to experiment with using script to strip out User Data key/value pairs.

NEVER RUN THIS:
(on my system it proves fatally data-destroying ...)
[CODE]-- CAUTION !! DESTROYS WHOLE DOCUMENTS PERMANENTLY … (RENDERS THEM UNSAVEABLE, FOR SOME REASON …)
-- OS X 10.7 OmniGraffle/5.4/beta2-139.3
tell application id "OGfl" to tell canvas of front window to set user data of graphics to {name:""}[/CODE]

RobTrew 2012-05-09 02:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just to underscore the importance of never running any variant of the line of code above, it doesn't just render documents unsaveable, it also puts shapes into a state which prevents the clipboard from copying them.

[img]http://forums.omnigroup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2374&stc=1&d=1336560566[/img]

My copy of OG has crashed a couple of times at this point, but if curiosity has got the better of you, and you have reached this stage without a crash, then you may be able to restore to the saveability of the document, and the copiability of its shapes, with an emergency repair line like:

[CODE]tell application id "OGfl" to tell canvas of front window to set user data of graphics to {_name:""}[/CODE]

(the underscore is the key)

whpalmer4 2012-05-09 03:37 AM

[QUOTE=RobTrew;110209]Just to underscore the importance of never running any variant of the line of code above, it doesn't just render documents unsaveable, it also puts shapes into a state which prevents the clipboard from copying them.

[/QUOTE]

It's all good fun until someone loses an eye :-)

RobTrew 2012-05-09 04:15 AM

[QUOTE=whpalmer4;110211]It's all good fun until someone loses an eye :-)[/QUOTE]

Indeed ...

The Note inspector comes with protective eye-wear – 'name' as a key is safely transmuted to |name| behind the scenes.

The goggles seem to have fallen off, however, in the writing of the Applescript interface.
The following is safe enough (though it deletes any existing user data):

[CODE]tell application id "OGfl" to tell canvas of front window to set user data of graphics to {|name|:""}[/CODE]

but without those vertical pipe characters the walls of Jericho come tumbling down ....