The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus Syncing (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Draconian Syncing Fix (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=9200)

gcrump 2008-08-04 05:48 AM

Draconian Syncing Fix

Warning this is not for the faint of heart or those that do not have great backups.... I accept no responsibility if something goes wrong.

My sync times were growing again, and just running the CoalescedDatabase.scpt didn't seem to make a difference so here is what I did, and for now anyway my syncs take less than 3 seconds on my desktop or laptop and about 10 seconds on my iphone (via wifi). My OmniFocus DB has well over 600 actions, so I think this speeds are pretty good.

1. Run the script and then Delete the Omnifocus.ofocus file from the idisk.
2. Create a new folder above documents called OmniF on the iDisk(You don't need to really do this, I wanted to be sure, see Draconian above)
3. On my desktop reset the sync prefs to the new folder and let it sync. It should sync relatively fast.
4. On my laptop do the same. It should ask if it can use the local copy or server copy. Use Server.
5. On the iphone do the same change the path from the settings menu

Initial syncs will be a little slower but not much.

An couple of observations; while doing all this I monitored the new Omnifocus directory. Interestingly it only had two files in it. A .zip and a .client. As I added device the number has grown and currently sits at 17. Today is a day where I will be doing a lot of updates, so I am going to monitor it to see how it grows or not. If it grows throughout the day and week, then I guess I will have to redo the above about once per week to keep things speedy.

Are these some sort of transaction log?

gcrump 2008-08-04 12:59 PM

Happy to report that what Lizard writes on the other thread related to this is correct. Seems like throughout the day it cleans it self up. I am back down to 9 files right now. Although I have not used my iPhone at all today.

gcrump 2008-08-05 04:13 AM

Ok. So the number of zip files is growing again. I have 49 after using my iPhone most of the evening. I kept OmniFocus running on the desktop all night. My thought was that maybe this is because my laptop had not been sync'ed since yesterday. So I have started that up and run a manual sync. Going to let that go for an hour to see if it cleans up the files.

Overall the number of files is significantly smaller than before and sync speed on all three devices is much, much faster.

Lizard 2008-08-05 01:39 PM

Yes, whenever one of your machines hasn't synced in a while, the number of files will keep growing until it does sync.

gcrump 2008-08-05 02:11 PM

Thanks Lizard and then do I need to wait an hour for the full smoosh sync? Or should the number drop the moment I see the first sync complete after launching the application?

For example on my desktop mac I used OF all day and the number of files grew to about 60. Then I synced one last time and exited. I started the app on my laptop and on my iphone. The laptop sync completed no reduction in files. Started on my iphone it synced (actually crashed during sync). went back in and started the sync again. Files are still there (60-ish)? I've also tried going back to my desktop, still no smoosh.

When and how long does it take for the smoosh to kick in?

gcrump 2008-08-06 09:07 AM

Final update: After working on all three devices through out the night and then back to my desktop this morning it seems like the active count is going to hover around 40. I don't have any files older than yesterday late afternoon. So that tells me that at some point everything synced back up.

So I've decided that I am getting way to into it, and if it stays in this range I'm fine. Syncing has remained speedy fast.

Lizard 2008-08-06 05:01 PM

Yes, you will often need to wait an hour and then sync again before seeing the full benefits of the smoosh.