The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Search doesn't work as I want (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=13884)

carlsson 2009-09-16 11:19 AM

Search doesn't work as I want

If I have choosen a project and do a search for something in that project, OF finds it.
But, if I am not on that project, it doesn't find it.
Spotlight finds it no matter though.

Have I done something wrong or is this intentional behavior? Of course I would like to find everything in OF when I do a search in OF's search field...!?

Craig 2009-09-16 11:28 AM

I wonder if "Search" should really be called "Filter"...

whpalmer4 2009-09-16 12:26 PM

[QUOTE=carlsson;66956]If I have choosen a project and do a search for something in that project, OF finds it.
But, if I am not on that project, it doesn't find it.
Spotlight finds it no matter though.

Have I done something wrong or is this intentional behavior? Of course I would like to find everything in OF when I do a search in OF's search field...!?[/QUOTE]

Yes, the search only works in the data shown in the current display. You might always want a global search, but we don't all feel that way! It would, however, be nice to be able to easily indicate whether a given search should be global in scope. Use Help->Send Feedback to send in your feature request...

Brian 2009-09-16 04:02 PM

Carlsson, definitely send in that feature request.

In the meantime, though, if you want to do a global search, you can hold down option while selecting Perspectives -> All items from the menu bar. That'll open a new window showing the entire contents of your database. The search field will then show you the kind of results you're looking for. Hope this helps in the meantime.

Toadling 2009-09-16 04:47 PM

I'm all for easier ways to change the search scope (i.e. toggle between searching the current sidebar selection and the entire database). I sent in a similar feature request a while back.

But I don't want to lose the ability to search only a subset of my data. In fact, I tend to do subset searches a lot more often than global searches (partly because of performance and partly because I usually know which folder stuff is in).

The "search the current sidebar selection" behavior seems quite common on the Mac. That's how Apple Mail, iTunes, Address Books, and many others work. Third party apps (e.g. Yojimbo) also follow the same principle. Even the Finder can be configured to search only the current selection on Snow Leopard (can't remember what it does by default).

So Spotlight's behavior of searching everything by default might actually be the anomaly here. ;-)

-Dennis

Jay Levitt 2009-09-19 12:11 PM

I think a lot of apps do this:

- The search bar (and Command-Option-F) means "search the current sidebar"
- Command-F pops up a dialog to "search in the current action/message/etc"
- Command-Shift-F pops dialog to "Search entire project/database"

This seems like a good way to slice it. I'd find it surprising if typing something in the search bar revealed -more- than what was already in my current perspective - but I find it equally surprising when I search for something that I know I typed, and I can't find it.

(I also think that search won't find things in the Inbox, at least in context view, but not sure if that's a bug or just a sad Works As Designed.)

Toadling 2009-09-19 07:53 PM

[QUOTE=Jay Levitt;67105]- Command-Shift-F pops dialog to "Search entire project/database"[/QUOTE]

That's an interesting idea, but what other apps do this? I'm having trouble finding one. :-)

-Dennis

Jay Levitt 2009-09-20 02:33 AM

[QUOTE=Toadling;67119]That's an interesting idea, but what other apps do this? I'm having trouble finding one. :-)[/QUOTE]

TextMate and Thunderbird are two that come to mind.

Toadling 2009-09-20 06:15 AM

[QUOTE=Jay Levitt;67124]TextMate and Thunderbird are two that come to mind.[/QUOTE]

Ah, okay. I don't use either of those. But now that you mention it, BBEdit also uses Command-Shift-F as the default shortcut for doing a multi-file search, where as Command-F searches only the current document. So that sounds similar to TextMate.

-Dennis

pjb 2009-09-20 10:22 AM

Too keep it all in one place, how about if the search magnifier had a drop down arrow and then a choice between Search View Only and Search All (and maybe Search All Available, Search All Completed, etc)?