The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniWeb General (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   OW obscurity? (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=2037)

obeythelaw 2006-11-03 07:11 PM

OW obscurity?

I have never heard of OW before until I was browsing a mac forum. Someone posted a link that stated that OW was $9.99 for a limited time. I decided to download the demo. Where in the world has OW been?!?! I've never used a browser that offers so many options and is great at what its supposed to do. I'm even liking the tab interface. And how is OW as fast as it is? If OW can make a browser this fast, why aren't other browsers as fast? I'm definitely considering purchasing the license. I only wish that more people knew about OW. People go crazy for FF or Opera and OW is much better!
My only question, where can I post or request features for OW?

JKT 2006-11-04 12:40 AM

Under the Help menu - Send Feedback is the best way to get OmniGroup's notice. Post at the forums here if you want to discuss things with other people, but I would urge you to look through some other threads first as it is possible that your request has been made many times before (especially if it is to us an external RSS aggregator for feeds ;) ).

FWIW, a brief history of OmniWeb usage:

OmniWeb 4.x was the most popular browser on OS X during the 10.0 and 10.1 days but due to being slower and less compatible than other browsers as they became available (Chimera/Camino, Safari, then Firefox) people started migrating away from it. With version 5.0 of OmniWeb, it gained most of the features it has now and was light years ahead of anything else available at the time in terms of usability, but it was still slower at rendering and less compatible with websites than the competition. With OmniWeb 5.5, OmniGroup were finally able to implement WebKit (the rendering engine of Safari) into the browser and hence the speed. It currently uses a more recent version of WebKit than the official install of Safari so it is perhaps a little faster these days. These days, many of its features of available to e.g. Firefox or Safari through extensions and hacks (though, none of them work as well as they do in OmniWeb IMO), so hopefully OmniGroup has some tricks up its sleeves for OmniWeb 6.0 if they are developing it.

Edit: I should say that OmniWeb 5.0 implemented WebCore as the rendering engine of OmniWeb but because it was always a few versions behind that of Safari at the time, and due to other overheads, it was always perceived as being slower than Safari. The open sourcing of WebKit a while back is what made it possible for OmniWeb to adopt WebKit over WebCore and jump ahead of Safari.

obeythelaw 2006-11-04 02:20 PM

thanks for the snapshot history. i find that OW actually renders pages better than safari. i guess it has to do with the webkit being ahead of safari. overall, though, ow is now my default browser.