The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus Syncing (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Syncing between iphone and two computers (variation) (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=11028)

videotom 2009-01-11 08:34 PM

Syncing between iphone and two computers (variation)

(I didn't post this in the other form of a similar name as I have a slightly different config)...

I just purchased the iphone app, and am evaluating via trial period the desktop app.

I have a computer in my office, and a computer at home (both Macs). I carry between them a small (120GB) firewire 800 pocket drive. I also carry my iphone with me constantly.

I am looking to determine if there is a good syncing solution for my configuration. As I would prefer to typically enter tasks into the desktop app (vs the iphone app), I would like to have my database on my pocket drive, thereby allowing both my home and office Mac to access the same database. However, I am unclear as to if this is possible with the new syncing requirement that the database file be in the Application Support folder (I tried an alias to my pocket hard drive, but that didn't work - maybe I should try the "symbolic link" solution?).

I understand that one can sync to a hard drive (which would allow my pocket drive to contain the latest updated database), BUT, then wouldn't I have to switch preferences just to then sync this to my iphone???

BTW, I don't have mobileMe, or any reliable way to breach the firewall in my condo's internet set-up.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tom
NYC

chriswitt 2009-01-12 09:39 AM

I've read other people here use Dropbox for shared files (and OF database). Maybe that would work? Might also eliminate the need to carry your firewire drive...

I hear it's free too. I use MobileMe, so can't offer any personal experiences from it, but it might be worth looking into until someone who's used it responds to you.

Good luck!

videotom 2009-01-12 09:49 AM

[QUOTE=chriswitt;53522]I've read other people here use Dropbox for shared files (and OF database). Maybe that would work? Might also eliminate the need to carry your firewire drive...

I hear it's free too. I use MobileMe, so can't offer any personal experiences from it, but it might be worth looking into until someone who's used it responds to you.

[/QUOTE]

My ideal scenario would be to have my pocket drive work - something that I want and need to bring back and forth from home to office anyway (it contains all of my office files, e-mail, current projects, etc.).

chriswitt 2009-01-12 12:28 PM

What if you put a link to your OmniFocus.ofocus database file in your dock (at home and at work) and click that after you get your drive hooked up? Then you could be sure your using the same db file both at home and at work. You could even change the icon to look like the application.

Okay, I'm done giving out non-official advise. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will jump in with help. ;-)

iNik 2009-01-12 02:43 PM

Make a symbolic link from your pocket drive to your OmniFocus application support folder. Do it on both computers.

Normally, you can double-click an .ofocus file to access it off of whatever drive, but I'm betting that file won't sync.

videotom 2009-01-12 06:10 PM

A solution, I believe

[QUOTE=iNik;53559]Make a symbolic link from your pocket drive to your OmniFocus application support folder. Do it on both computers.

Normally, you can double-click an .ofocus file to access it off of whatever drive, but I'm betting that file won't sync.[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much for the tip - I think this solution will work. Here's the steps I did for anyone else out there in need of this solution:

1. I moved my existing OmniFocus folder from the location: Home>Library>Applications Support (where "Home" is the home directory. Make sure NOT to look in the root directory's Library folder, as you won't find it there). This folder was moved to a location on my pocket drive.

2. Using a free utility I found online: "SymbolicLinker 1.3" [url]http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/10433[/url]
I avoided a trip to the terminal, and let this tool do the work of creating a symbolic link for me (just follow the instructions).

3. That's it - works (so far) like a charm. Now, I'll only be syncing my iphone, as the database will travel with me.

Thanks iNik for the great tip!

Note to all: Normal Mac "aliases" don't work - you need to use the Symbolic Link routine.

KeithFK 2009-02-04 04:02 PM

I have a related question. I use two computers and an iPhone, also, but I do the database syncing via MobileMe - which works great. How, though, can I easily keep the details of the interface in sync between my desktop and laptop? That is, if I change any preference settings or change the toolbar, add or delete perspectives, etc.? Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Keith

Brian 2009-02-05 05:13 PM

Syncing perspectives isn't currently supported, but I know we've gotten requests for that feature. If you send an email to <omnifocus@omnigroup.com>, the support ninjas can add your email to that item in the development database, so the team will know that you'd like to see it added. Thanks!

whpalmer4 2009-02-05 07:48 PM

The perspectives may not (yet) be synced, but they are still pretty easy to move around if you only change them on one machine at a time. They live in a directory called Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/Perspectives in your home directory. Themes live in the neighboring Themes directory, and can be moved around similarly. Just copy any changed files to your other machines and restart OmniFocus.

Toolbar customization and other settings are unfortunately not as easily handled, though you could "sync" them by taking a screen shot of your new settings, embedding (not linking!) that screenshot in a new action with Edit->Attach File, and then consulting it on your other machine(s) after doing a sync to propagate it. You'll still have to do the reconfiguration, but at least you'll have a guide to what you did.