The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniWeb General (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   OmniWeb 5.6 Sneaky Peeks now available! (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=3972)

troyb 2007-06-27 02:17 PM

OmniWeb 5.6 Sneaky Peeks now available!

Hi Everyone,

It's been a long wait I know. We now have sneaky peeks available though! We plan to offer up regular builds as changes are added to OmniWeb you can download at your leasure from this page:

[url]http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omniweb/download/sneakypeek/[/url]

Please grab the latest download but if you have problems with that feel free to grab an earlier alpha. We wont be notifying of these builds via Software Update like our traditional releases work so bookmark the link above or better yet, subscribe to the appcast!

Thanks for the patience everyone and please enjoy OmniWeb 5.6 sneaky peeks!

Floach 2007-06-27 02:19 PM

Hoooooooooooray! Thank you! I am extremely excited. Thank you Troy and everyone else at Omni!

Handycam 2007-06-27 02:22 PM

[quote]This includes the new Web Inspector as seen on Surfin' Safari

The Drosera JavaScript debugger now works in OmniWeb. [/quote]

Best news ever!

Floach 2007-06-27 02:37 PM

[QUOTE=Handycam]Best news ever![/QUOTE]

Seconded! I was seriously hoping this would be in there .... This is a browser dream come true, after juggling Safari 3 / WebKit / OmniWeb 5.5.4 for the past several weeks. :)

ata 2007-06-27 02:37 PM

O SNAP!

Thanks Troy & Omni! I shall now try it.

owuser 2007-06-27 02:39 PM

Thank you very much!

Handycam 2007-06-27 02:43 PM

What'd you put in this thing? It's wicked fast!

ata 2007-06-27 02:49 PM

So far so good! (And, thus far, crazily fast indeed!)

jfentress@gmail.com 2007-06-27 02:56 PM

How do you use the web inspector

I've very excited about the web inspector, but I can't figure out how to use it in my new OmniWeb sneakypeak.

I know that in WebKit it is a simple control click and "inspect element", but I can't find anything similar in OmniWeb.

Help Please.

ata 2007-06-27 03:01 PM

When I control-click, I do get an "inspect element" item. Hmm.

philonous 2007-06-27 03:20 PM

May I suggest that Omnigroup use the reactions on this page as promotional material? I am almost ashamed to admit that I am as excited as everybody else about the relase of an [B]alpha browser!![/B]

Chiller 2007-06-27 03:37 PM

Thank you very much Omni Group! I will be sure to use the ...Send Feedback command. Looks like the known issues list is getting smaller too. Very fast. I don't know what tweaks you make but they sure bury Safari.

Oblique Strategy 2007-06-27 04:00 PM

It's fantastic so far, my only caveat is the Netflix bug remains.

Drayon 2007-06-27 04:14 PM

Yay, finally The favorites menu in Bookmarks menu is FIXED hooray.

Now for me,

1) Visited link colors STILL refuse to change in some web sites (Safari 2&3 have same problem) , one such example is [url]http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx[/url]

2) Some pages randomly wont load my style sheet, refreshing some pages, this forums included continue to load a page with out my style sheet.

3) URL Auto Complete, sis still completing based on alphabetical order rather than displaying the main host address first like Safari. If i type " forums.applei " i want the ROOT url (forums.appleinsider.com) but OW is always showing a MASSIVE list of URLS of previously read threads, it takes along time to scroll the list just to get the root domain. I want an option so that the BookMark&History Auto Complete returns the ROOT url first, then if i want a specific other url I can scroll the list.

4) Styled buttons, drop down menus, check box's etc are forced upon us by the web designer. I want the option to have pages display ONLY Aqua elements, be this via a preference or some code to enter in my custom style sheet. A simple on/of preference will be preferred.

5) Enhancement- Javascript function 'don't let scripts hide toolbars'

6) Offline Mode like IE that works reliably to use what is in cache when not network connection is available (traveling).

7) Finally, The BIG ONE- HORIZONTAL TAB BAR (with option to rearrange tabs)

I await the future

danielandrews 2007-06-27 04:45 PM

Thank you! This thing flies!

Rachael 2007-06-27 04:45 PM

web inspector is enabled via a default, so if it's not written you won't see the "Inspect Element" option in your context menu.

Open terminal and paste:
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 WebKitDeveloperExtras -bool true

and then relaunch OmniWeb, to turn it on.

I'll be sure to bring up turning it on by default to Troy ;)

Glad y'all are liking it, though!

mihnat 2007-06-27 04:56 PM

WOO HOO! When it was mid-PM and I saw from the space needle cam that it was nice in the Emerald City I thought you would be heading toward the mountain but lo and behold the sneaky peak cometh. Definitely worth the wait! Have been using Safari 3.0 (I know, pour shame but that CPU issue is a drag) and this thing is definitely on the same pace (AND is OW!).

One thing I noticed (which is the WebKit I know) is that my Spell Catcher program is adding an additional character when it autocorrects (same with the new Safari).

[URL="http://www.rainmakerinc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1357"]http://www.rainmakerinc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1357[/URL]

Thanks!!!!

Drayon 2007-06-27 05:00 PM

Ok so where exactly is this "Web Inspector" i dont see it in any menu. Secondly, i entered the command line above, and now see the element inspector in the contex menu, so how do i change the font and size?

Thanks

Rachael 2007-06-27 05:18 PM

The web inspector is the window that pops up when you bring select "inspect element" in your context menu. At present there's no way to adjust the font & size of the text in the web inspector. sorry!

Rachael 2007-06-27 05:19 PM

minhat: Yeah it's beautiful out here today! :D Headed out the door myself, so have a good night y'all!

daiyi666@yahoo.com 2007-06-27 05:33 PM

Looks very nice, especially the Web Inspector!

Similar to earlier versions of OW, I'm having problems again with the Amazon online reader pages and with My.Yahoo. The latter is, however, still in beta and not officially supported. Yet, it worked fine with OW 5.5.4.

Looking forward to more releases in the near future.

kga1978 2007-06-28 03:10 AM

I agree that it overall looks quite nice, and speed is good as well!

However, I am very sad to see that two of my absolute requirements are not fulfilled, and I was wondering whether these were expected in the final release.

1. "Find-as-you-type" - extremely important for some of us, and considering the very nice new feature seen in Safari, I would really love to see this.

2. Proper "one-window" browsing support. In other words - something similar to Camino/Firefox, where new windows are created in Tabs and are treated as such (meaning if you close it, it will go back to the last-used tab - as opposed to tabs you create yourself where it should select "the next tab", rather than the "last-used tab".). I know this functionality is somewhat in there, but it doesn't distinguish between these two types of tabs.

pheski 2007-06-28 03:24 AM

Still can't use some citrix metaframe sites...

I was hoping 5.6 would fix this. I have to use Firefox to log on to the Citrix Metaframe portal to access the medical record at our local hospital.

Perhaps this fix will come with further tweaking of 5.6? (I hope I don't have to wait until 5.7 or (shudder) 6.0.

Peter

Here is the Java console message:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at apple.awt.CToolkit.doAWTRunLoop(Native Method)
at apple.awt.CToolkit.doAWTRunLoop(CToolkit.java:1097)
at apple.awt.CToolkit.doAWTRunLoop(CToolkit.java:1100)
at sun.plugin.viewer.WebKitPluginContext.initEnvironment(WebKitPluginContext.java:130)
at sun.plugin.viewer.WebKitPluginContext.createPluginObject(WebKitPluginContext.java:35)
java.lang.NullPointerException
at apple.awt.CToolkit.doAWTRunLoop(Native Method)
at apple.awt.CToolkit.doAWTRunLoop(CToolkit.java:1097)
at apple.awt.CToolkit.doAWTRunLoop(CToolkit.java:1100)
at sun.plugin.viewer.WebKitPluginContext.initEnvironment(WebKitPluginContext.java:130)
at sun.plugin.viewer.WebKitPluginContext.createPluginObject(WebKitPluginContext.java:35)
Java Plug-in 1.5.0
Using JRE version 1.5.0_07 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
User home directory = /Users/pheski

----------------------------------------------------
c: clear console window
f: finalize objects on finalization queue
g: garbage collect
h: display this help message
l: dump classloader list
m: print memory usage
o: trigger logging
p: reload proxy configuration
q: hide console
r: reload policy configuration
s: dump system and deployment properties
t: dump thread list
v: dump thread stack
x: clear classloader cache
0-5: set trace level to <n>
----------------------------------------------------

load: class com.citrix.ConnectionCenter not found.
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.citrix.ConnectionCenter
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(AppletClassLoader.java:168)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(AppletClassLoader.java:119)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:251)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadCode(AppletClassLoader.java:599)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(AppletPanel.java:721)
at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(AppletViewer.java:1826)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(AppletPanel.java:650)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(AppletPanel.java:324)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: open HTTP connection failed.
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.getBytes(AppletClassLoader.java:271)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.access$100(AppletClassLoader.java:44)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader$1.run(AppletClassLoader.java:158)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(AppletClassLoader.java:155)
... 9 more
load: class com.citrix.ConnectionCenter not found.
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.citrix.ConnectionCenter
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(AppletClassLoader.java:168)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadClass(AppletClassLoader.java:119)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:251)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.loadCode(AppletClassLoader.java:599)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.createApplet(AppletPanel.java:721)
at sun.plugin.AppletViewer.createApplet(AppletViewer.java:1826)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.runLoader(AppletPanel.java:650)
at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(AppletPanel.java:324)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: open HTTP connection failed.
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.getBytes(AppletClassLoader.java:271)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.access$100(AppletClassLoader.java:44)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader$1.run(AppletClassLoader.java:158)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at sun.applet.AppletClassLoader.findClass(AppletClassLoader.java:155)
... 9 more

smaug 2007-06-28 04:17 AM

I also congratulate Omni!

A few problems, though. Gmail does not seem to function properly, i.e., I cannot send mail.

Also, the Google Reader subscribe bookmarklet doesn't do anything in Omniweb. Are these Javascript issues?

kocab 2007-06-28 05:20 AM

[QUOTE=smaug]I also congratulate Omni!

A few problems, though. Gmail does not seem to function properly, i.e., I cannot send mail.[/QUOTE]

I'm not having any trouble sending mail in Gmail or in my Google Apps accounts.

I've noticed that occasionally Safari 3 will stall when sending mail, perhaps Omniweb, being based on webkit as well, is having the same issue. The work-around is to press the send button again - and again if needed.

The issue, when I've seen it in Safari, happens randomly and thankfully relatively rarely.

Handycam 2007-06-28 07:01 AM

So far, no real problems to report. I've been doing a lot of surfing, although admittedly I don't try to use OW (or Safari) for anything too Ajax or Java intensive. I find I need FF for this, or use Windows.

However, the Ajax sites I've been to, like my Traffic map site and Weather channel, all work fine -- and they used to NOT work fine.

It's especially nice to have all the web kit niceties, such as styled form elements, the web kit inspector, etc.

mshalperin 2007-06-28 08:49 AM

Palm Hotsync fix?

Thanks for this SneakyPeak update. The JS rendering problems with 5.5.4 seem fixed. Web Inspector looks good, but I don't have much use for it.

A major new problem is that javascript streaming videos are now broken - such as at the cnn.com site. All the video plugins still appear enabled in the list (QuickTime, Flip4Mac, RealPlayer).

Also, there is no improvement in the AutoFill feature. This has long been acknowledged as poor. (1Password doesn't work with this OW release.)

darcy1b 2007-06-28 09:11 AM

I'm in Gmail, spoofing as Firefox 2 for Mac and chat is working! Well, no one I could test with was on-line but I can get the chat box to at least pop up and my message to my wife, who's offline, did return a failure message. I also get name completion when composing. Chat for sure and name completion possibly I didn't remember working previously and chat didn't work the time or two I tried with Safari 3. Good job, OmniGroup!

troyb 2007-06-28 10:01 AM

Hi Everyone,

If you encounter bugs please make sure you use the send feedback link in the help menu to contact us about them.

You can also use the OmniWeb bug forum but if you need to report something to Omni, the best way is to use the Send Feedback link in the help menu.

As far as troubleshooting goes, if you have trouble loading page content try turning off your ad block preferences as they may be getting in the way without indicating as such. (that's how I got the cnn video player to work.)

Thanks!

Handycam 2007-06-28 11:53 AM

CNN video is working fine for me here at work. I'm a registered user of CNN, not sure if that makes a diff. But I have adblocking on, custom css blocks too, and pipeline player works perfectly.

troyb 2007-06-28 11:57 AM

It was something in my black list that was doing it for me. I haven't had a chance to look into it further yet though. (Whatever is doing it isn't causing a problem in 5.5.4.)

kocab 2007-06-28 01:18 PM

Quick bug report: Spell checking in Google Mail correctly flags words as being misspelled (via webkit) but doesn't show suggestions or corrections. (I'm not talking about the google mail supplied spell checking, I mean the Omniweb version.)

Spell checking does seem to work as expected in other text boxes (like the ones on this forum) though.

How *do* I file a bug report btw?

troyb 2007-06-28 01:38 PM

[QUOTE=kocab]
How *do* I file a bug report btw?[/QUOTE]
Help Menu > Send Feedback

If you're using the rich text editor in google mail OmniWeb spell checking wont work but it should in the plain text editor.

ghostdog75 2007-06-29 12:05 PM

re: page mark

Page marking doesn't seem to be working for me in the alpha release.

theonehorst 2007-06-29 04:04 PM

WYSIWYG works fine in Wordpress Editor. Great. :D Any chance for multilingual Version?

m-rick 2007-07-01 11:27 AM

The bookmarks menu doesn't display my bookmarks, but they are available since I get when opening the bookmarks menu.

Jerseycoa 2007-07-01 03:47 PM

Where is the download link, please?

When I use the link provided on the original post in this thread, I see this message:

"Choose a version to download.

No files were found."

I see no link anywhere to download 5.6

Thank you.

Ken Case 2007-07-01 04:14 PM

[QUOTE=Jerseycoa]I see no link anywhere to download 5.6.[/QUOTE]

Woops! Thanks for telling us; it's fixed now.

Jerseycoa 2007-07-02 04:39 AM

Thank you, Ken. Got it.

Floach 2007-07-02 05:43 AM

So, what's updated/changed in the Jul. 02 build? Or am I just mis-remembering what was written on the sneakypeek release notes? :)

philz 2007-07-02 12:25 PM

Awsome, finally fixed every issue i had! Can't wait for final!

-Philz

lollorosso 2007-07-02 03:04 PM

[QUOTE=m-rick]The bookmarks menu doesn't display my bookmarks, but they are available since I get when opening the bookmarks menu.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I have the same problem ;-(

What can I do???

troyb 2007-07-02 04:02 PM

[QUOTE=Floach]So, what's updated/changed in the Jul. 02 build? Or am I just mis-remembering what was written on the sneakypeek release notes? :)[/QUOTE]
Some builds may show up with small changes that wont have an effect on OmniWeb itself. We'll be sure to update the notes as releases appear that do contain notable changes though!

Weborican 2007-07-05 10:35 AM

[QUOTE=kga1978]"Find-as-you-type" - extremely important for some of us, and considering the very nice new feature seen in Safari, I would really love to see this.[/QUOTE]

Amen to that! This was one of the first things I looked for as soon as I loaded 5.6 :-(

emidwood 2007-07-05 06:50 PM

When I use something like Google search or any other form that I am filling in, I get my normal drop down menu with all of the saved items that start with what I am typing, but when I click on the correct wording that I want filled into the form, it does not enter it.

kevin 2007-07-06 01:07 AM

[QUOTE=emidwood]When I use something like Google search or any other form that I am filling in, I get my normal drop down menu with all of the saved items that start with what I am typing, but when I click on the correct wording that I want filled into the form, it does not enter it.[/QUOTE]
I think others have tried to express this issue before. It seems only the enter/return key will paste the selection, not tab or mouse click, even though the mouse selects the field.

JKT 2007-07-06 01:49 AM

Note, don't use the return key to make the selection - it can cause the form to be submitted. Just use Enter.

FWIW, OmniGroup are aware of the issue.

CraigGrannell 2007-07-06 01:51 AM

[QUOTE=kga1978]1. "Find-as-you-type" - extremely important for some of us, and considering the very nice new feature seen in Safari, I would really love to see this.[/QUOTE]
I think Omni will be dropping the ball in a big way if this isn't included. Being the only major Mac browser without find-as-you-type is, for me, no better than when IE 6 was the only major Windows browser without tabbed browsing. This isn't a nice-to-have these days—it's bloody essential.

I really like OmniWeb. Heck, by a whisker I gave it the group-test award when I did a round-up in MacFormat magazine about six months ago. However, Omni's instability is really starting to grate, and I find myself veering back towards Firefox these days, despite Firefox's total disregard for Mac conventions—and that can't be a good thing.

m-rick 2007-07-06 09:56 AM

Why in the Downloads pref "Remmeber downloads" there is no choice to delete them immediately after a succesful download ??

It is one line of code in the terminal to activate it so it musn't be so hard to had it directly in Omniweb ???

Floach 2007-07-06 11:21 AM

[QUOTE=m-rick]Why in the Downloads pref "Remmeber downloads" there is no choice to delete them immediately after a succesful download ??

It is one line of code in the terminal to activate it so it musn't be so hard to had it directly in Omniweb ???[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I want it to show active downloads and nothing else. If the download's finished, I'd like it to clear itself. A little irritating. I suppose we should both submit feedback. :)

FredH 2007-07-06 08:02 PM

Shortcuts aren't working in the sneakys yet, right?

ghostdog75 2007-07-07 11:47 AM

Shortcuts have been working fine for me.

emidwood 2007-07-07 09:56 PM

None of the links on CNN work.

Jon Hicks 2007-07-07 11:16 PM

[QUOTE=emidwood]None of the links on CNN work.[/QUOTE]

All work fine for me. Odd?

Handycam 2007-07-08 07:36 AM

CNN is behaving oddly. All the links work for me. However, I could not view any videos or customize my local weather.

I found that turning off ad blocking for matching ad sizes and identifying as Safari 3 makes the videos work and I can set local weather. Go figure.

To block the ads again I added this to blocked urls list:
[CODE]
.*/cnn_adspaces/.*
http://m1\.2mdn\.net/.*
[/CODE]

emidwood 2007-07-08 06:11 PM

I am sorry, when I posted my question about the CNN site not working, I hit the send button before I finished my question. I thought someone would figure it out from my very brief sentence. Sorry.
The links on the CNN site actually take you to another page, but there is only the title of the news item there, but the story is itself is missing. Let me know if you are having this same issue. Thanks.

troyb 2007-07-10 12:49 PM

emidwood: did you check to see if you had any ad block settings enabled? We know there are some issues with this currently. Open up your ad block preference pane and make sure the three check boxes for "Block images and other inline content" are unchecked. Reload CNN and see if the problem continues.

cmc 2007-07-10 02:05 PM

Beta Already?

I was a bit surprised, given some of the issues I've seen with the last couple of alphas, to see
[INDENT]OmniWeb 5.6 beta 1 (17.0 MB)[/INDENT]
listed in the RSS feed. But the URL is wrong,
[INDENT]/applications/omniweb/beta/[/INDENT]
and the Release Notes link in the post ([url]http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omniweb/beta_releasenotes/[/url]) redirects to the page for 5.5.4.

Was the beta announcement a mistake?

emidwood 2007-07-10 02:09 PM

All of the check boxes you mentioned have always been unchecked, so this is not the issue. This is such an odd problem to have the page come up with partial content. I assume that when you click on a link on the front page, and the new page appears, that the full news story is there and not just the headline?

troyb 2007-07-10 02:18 PM

[QUOTE=emidwood]All of the check boxes you mentioned have always been unchecked, so this is not the issue. This is such an odd problem to have the page come up with partial content. I assume that when you click on a link on the front page, and the new page appears, that the full news story is there and not just the headline?[/QUOTE]
Can you send us email via the Help > Send Feedback link in the OmniWeb menus? We can help get to the bottom of what's going wrong here.

troyb 2007-07-10 02:19 PM

[QUOTE=cmc]I was a bit surprised, given some of the issues I've seen with the last couple of alphas, to see
[INDENT]OmniWeb 5.6 beta 1 (17.0 MB)[/INDENT]
listed in the RSS feed. But the URL is wrong,
[INDENT]/applications/omniweb/beta/[/INDENT]
and the Release Notes link in the post ([url]http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omniweb/beta_releasenotes/[/url]) redirects to the page for 5.5.4.

Was the beta announcement a mistake?[/QUOTE]
This was our bad, we've updated the appcast feed to show beta and final releases as well but this 'fake' beta release snuck through. It should be gone from the feed shortly.

ghostdog75 2007-07-11 12:19 PM

OW seems to have flash video problems (i.e. not playing) which I suspect is a webkit problem. The latest webkit build is able to play videos on CNN. I hope this is fixed soon.

troyb 2007-07-11 12:37 PM

Flash should work in OmniWeb. Make sure your "Ad Block" settings aren't getting in the way. If you have an example page that would be helpful.

Thanks!

ghostdog75 2007-07-11 03:10 PM

Thanks. For the most part Flash does work. Sometimes, just a small bit of flash based stuff doesn't like on ESPN.com. That little flash menu beneath the lead in doesn't seem to display for me even after removing adblock.

Handycam 2007-07-11 03:56 PM

[QUOTE=ghostdog75]on ESPN.com. That little flash menu beneath the lead in doesn't seem to display for me even after removing adblock.[/QUOTE]

What do you mean, exactly?

If you mean the yellow menus that drop out of the black buttons, that's not Flash, it's javascript. And they work fine for me, as does AFAICT the rest of that page.

And the ESPN "video player" launches and plays all the videos.

And I have ad blocking ON, set for known sizes and blocked URLs (I never use the third option).

philby 2007-07-13 07:07 AM

I just noticed that OW still has problems with caching files. Developping a Flash-based site that reads all texts from various XML files is not possible using OW 5.6 SP4 to test, because OW is incredibly stubborn in not fetching the lastest XML file from the server, and always uses an old cached version instead (even though I set validate cached content to "always").

Back to Opera, and disappointment.

m-rick 2007-07-14 03:24 AM

OW 5.6 often uses a huge amount of memory and resources ...

99 % of processor and 880 Mb of memory for 12 tabs open ....

[URL=http://img406.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image1ch1.png][IMG]http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/7886/image1ch1.th.png[/IMG][/URL]

Safari or Camino with exactly the same web pages open will not use so much ! And on these 2 browsers, ads are not filtered !

[URL=http://img406.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image2iu9.png][IMG]http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/8387/image2iu9.th.png[/IMG][/URL]
[URL=http://img295.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image3pv3.png][IMG]http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/2094/image3pv3.th.png[/IMG][/URL]

hardcoreUFO 2007-07-14 09:33 AM

I think it depends on what is in the tabs -- at least for the CPU usage. I have had Safari bring my whole system to its knees due to one particular webpage (javascript related?) causing problems.

m-rick 2007-07-14 09:55 AM

[QUOTE=hardcoreUFO]I think it depends on what is in the tabs -- at least for the CPU usage. I have had Safari bring my whole system to its knees due to one particular webpage (javascript related?) causing problems.[/QUOTE]
Maybe, but it happens ONLY with Omnbiweb since with the EXACTLY SAME pages open in tabs too in both Camino and Safari didn't make any problems, knowing that Safari 2 uses an older version of WebKit.

JKT 2007-07-14 11:06 AM

Does it happen in the equivalent WebKit as OmniWeb 5.6 sp?

m-rick 2007-07-14 12:14 PM

[QUOTE=JKT]Does it happen in the equivalent WebKit as OmniWeb 5.6 sp?[/QUOTE]
I just installed Safari 3b to make a try, and I don't have this problem.

JKT 2007-07-14 12:28 PM

Out of interest, does it happen on both your computers or is it just the Intel?

If it is just the Intel, is it possible that OmniWeb is running as a Rosetta application rather than as an Intel native one?

m-rick 2007-07-15 03:17 AM

It doesn't happen on the G5.
After testing everything, it happens only on the intel laptop, with the pages containing few flash applets inside. But i don't have the problem with Safari 3 or Camino, neither on the iMac G5 with Omniweb 5.6 SP 4.

JKT 2007-07-15 03:23 AM

Have you updated to the latest version of the Flash Player (it was updated a few days ago) and have you checked to see if OmniWeb is running as a Rosetta application (I believe there is a check box in the Get Info window on Intel Macs that let's you toggle this on or off - I don't know for sure as I've not got access to one)?

m-rick 2007-07-15 03:27 AM

yes everything is up-to-date.

no OW is not running in Rosetta.

But to correct the problem, I have to quit OmniWeb. It doesn't change anything if I only close the sites responsible, those containing Flash.

JKT 2007-07-15 03:31 AM

OK, if they aren't personal and if you haven't already done so, Send Feedback... with the links to the problem pages to OmniGroup. It might be worthwhile mentioning that you use German for the OS as well (IIRC, you are doing this?) as that might be another contributory factor.

Ken Case 2007-07-15 06:54 AM

I currently have over 30 tabs open and OmniWeb is using less than 0.5% of the CPU and 267MB of memory—except when I'm actually typing, when the CPU jumps up to around 3%. So (as it sounds like you've already determined) it probably has something to do with specific sites you're visiting.

[QUOTE=m-rick]But to correct the problem, I have to quit OmniWeb. It doesn't change anything if I only close the sites responsible, those containing Flash.[/QUOTE]

OK, so when you go to some sites it starts eating CPU, and when you close those sites it doesn't stop? It would be very helpful if you could send in a sample of where OmniWeb is spending its CPU. You can do this by running Activity Monitor (from /Applications/Utilities), selecting OmniWeb (it's easy if you filter for "OmniWeb"), and then selecting Sample Process from the View menu. If you send us that sample, we'll look through it to see if we can figure out what's going wrong.

You might also check OmniWeb's error log and network activity (select Error Log and Network Activity from the Window menu) to see if there's anything relevant showing up in either of those places.

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this soon; thanks for your help!

dmz 2007-07-16 03:38 PM

Updating Builds

Here's an idea, but I don't know whether it's already been done or how easy it would be if it hasn't. Is there a program out there, equivalent to CaminoKnight for Camino, that can download the latest "daily" (in this case, approximately daily) build of OmniWeb and install it in the correct location automatically?

On my 3 machines, I'm finding it tough to remember which ones I've updated on and which ones I haven't, and the fact that the builds don't show up in the update checker doesn't help matters (though I understand why it's being done that way).

bheathain 2007-07-16 04:22 PM

[QUOTE=Oblique Strategy]It's fantastic so far, my only caveat is the Netflix bug remains.[/QUOTE]
I'm excited about OW5.6 as well....just wish that pesky Netflix bug would get squashed.

JKT 2007-07-17 02:05 PM

dmz - there is an RSS feed for the sneakypeeks. That'll let you know when there's an update to download.

Handycam 2007-07-17 02:31 PM

Or bookmark it and set the bookmark to be checked daily. That's what I've been doing.

dmz 2007-07-18 04:14 PM

Yes, indeed, that would let me know when there's an update to download - and I do use the RSS feed - but it doesn't actually download and install it. Streamlining the process is a very good thing, especially when one has multiple machines to keep up to date. :)

Actually, the current update process within OmniWeb could use streamlining too; it's one of the few apps I use that still doesn't update itself, but directs you to a download site for updates... but I wasn't suggesting that Omni needs to implement a "download and install update" tool, I'm just curious as to whether anybody else has - a la CaminoKnight, as mentioned previously. I guess the answer to that question is "no".

FredH 2007-07-18 08:12 PM

Are other people seeing very slow launch times?

Floach 2007-07-19 04:42 AM

[QUOTE=FredH]Are other people seeing very slow launch times?[/QUOTE]

Not I. Fast as always. Which is good, since using the web inspector on certain sites causes OW to go boom. Tried clearing your history, caches, other sources of crufty buildup?

FredH 2007-07-19 05:52 AM

[QUOTE=Floach]Not I. Fast as always. Which is good, since using the web inspector on certain sites causes OW to go boom. Tried clearing your history, caches, other sources of crufty buildup?[/QUOTE]

Well, new problem, I can't clear my history. Tried twice and it hung up for several minutes.

m-rick 2007-07-19 02:17 PM

[QUOTE=FredH]Are other people seeing very slow launch times?[/QUOTE]

I have it two when I have some tabs open, it takes seconds to load pages, and sometimes OW will crash at startup. When it hangs like this, it uses CPU and memory also.

m-rick 2007-07-21 02:24 AM

[QUOTE=Ken Case]I currently have over 30 tabs open and OmniWeb is using less than 0.5% of the CPU and 267MB of memory—except when I'm actually typing, when the CPU jumps up to around 3%. So (as it sounds like you've already determined) it probably has something to do with specific sites you're visiting.

OK, so when you go to some sites it starts eating CPU, and when you close those sites it doesn't stop? It would be very helpful if you could send in a sample of where OmniWeb is spending its CPU. You can do this by running Activity Monitor (from /Applications/Utilities), selecting OmniWeb (it's easy if you filter for "OmniWeb"), and then selecting Sample Process from the View menu. If you send us that sample, we'll look through it to see if we can figure out what's going wrong.

You might also check OmniWeb's error log and network activity (select Error Log and Network Activity from the Window menu) to see if there's anything relevant showing up in either of those places.

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this soon; thanks for your help![/QUOTE]
It is a known problem, it already happens in the 5.5.4.

It usually happens after a long time of use, at least 1 hour and they are several complains about this in several Mac forums and in the Macupdate comments.

FredH 2007-07-24 06:32 AM

[QUOTE=m-rick]It is a known problem, it already happens in the 5.5.4.

It usually happens after a long time of use, at least 1 hour and they are several complains about this in several Mac forums and in the Macupdate comments.[/QUOTE]

If I leave it open for a long time, it will either freeze up when I come back or be extremely slow. I assume I'm not the only one still having this issue with 5.6? Was this a bug that was supposed to be fixed?

Frankenstein 2007-07-25 02:47 PM

I've been using OmniWeb 5.6 sneaky peek for the past few weeks, and I'm very happy with it. I thought about ditching OmniWeb for Safari 3 (that Find feature is [U]really[/U] nice and useful), but in the end, OmniWeb prevailed. I was extremely surprised earlier today when I noticed that the PDF file that is created when you save a webpage as PDF now retains hyperlinks! That's a feature I've wanted for quite some time now, and I'm not sure how long it's been in there. Nevertheless, I'm glad to have discovered it.

OmniFolks, you're doing a great job, as usual!

PS: Please, please change the Find window in OmniWeb to something that's very close to, nay, *better* than Safari 3's Find feature! ;-)

Jerseycoa 2007-08-06 03:11 PM

Is there a new sneaky peek download link?

I'm getting a blank page with this one. Thank you.

Edit: Working now and downloading.

[QUOTE=troyb;16204]Hi Everyone,

It's been a long wait I know. We now have sneaky peeks available though! We plan to offer up regular builds as changes are added to OmniWeb you can download at your leasure from this page:

[url]http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omniweb/download/sneakypeek/[/url]

Please grab the latest download but if you have problems with that feel free to grab an earlier alpha. We wont be notifying of these builds via Software Update like our traditional releases work so bookmark the link above or better yet, subscribe to the appcast!

Thanks for the patience everyone and please enjoy OmniWeb 5.6 sneaky peeks![/QUOTE]

troyb 2007-08-06 03:43 PM

[QUOTE=Jerseycoa;18854]I'm getting a blank page with this one. Thank you.[/QUOTE]
Sorry, i'm not sure if you mean this in a bad way or good way. What's going on now?

arglborps 2007-08-06 04:59 PM

It's still alpha, so I guess there might still be quite some changes. Things that still need to be fixed:

• CMD+i page info columns can be resized, which is neat, but not really that important, unfortunately I still can't reorder the items by clicking on the column titles. E.g. when I want to order the items by size, clicking on "Size" doesn't do anything.

• Synching via .Mac still only works half of the time.

• Where on did the "zoom" button for text fields go?

troyb 2007-08-06 05:02 PM

[QUOTE=arglborps;18866]
• Where on did the "zoom" button for text fields go?[/QUOTE]
The zoomed editor moved, take a [URL="http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=4009&highlight=zoom"]look at this thread here[/URL].

Mika33 2007-08-07 05:18 AM

Improvements on Javascript

Looks like the latest sneek version did finally something to improve the poor javascript performance of OW! Some javascript-triggered pop-up windows now actually show content and not only a white screen!

Promising.. ;-)

Drayon 2007-08-07 05:49 AM

[QUOTE=Mika33;18876]Looks like the latest sneek version did finally something to improve the poor javascript performance of OW! Some javascript-triggered pop-up windows now actually show content and not only a white screen!

Promising.. ;-)[/QUOTE]

which one you talking about the last one was Aug 03, 2007 19:04:03 PDT (v611) as of this time. an yes i refresh the SP page every day, like 5 times ;-)

Hoping for the Command+UP/Down while a cursor is in a text field to be fixed.

Jerseycoa 2007-08-07 02:44 PM

I meant when I click on the link I get no download, just a blank page in a new window. Sorry I wasn't clear.

[QUOTE=troyb;18856]Sorry, i'm not sure if you mean this in a bad way or good way. What's going on now?[/QUOTE]

jacklin 2007-08-08 01:57 PM

Although much improvement has been noted through recent sneaky peek releases, immediately after OW5.6 is launched, i always have to wait 3-5 secs for the bookmarks menu to drop down after i click on it. The response of the menu bar on 5.5.4 is instant. Hope this pronounced and unbearable abnormality will not be a feature of the final release of 5.6.

troyb 2007-08-08 02:44 PM

You might take a look at this:

[URL="http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=4464"]http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=4464[/URL]
and see if that helps.

bheathain 2007-08-08 06:18 PM

I know that the "Netflix bug" is still a bug (although I'm not sure if it's in the plans to fix it or not). However, there does seem to be something "new" surrounding the bug. In the past, when I clicked on a rating, it actually "works", but it navigates away from the page you are on. I would just hit the back button and go about my business. However, these days, it does the same, but after it navigates away, the browser basically becomes unusable. Any page after that just loads indefinitely with nothing coming up.

Just thought I'd pass that along.

d00d 2007-08-10 07:48 PM

[QUOTE=bheathain;18999]I know that the "Netflix bug" is still a bug (although I'm not sure if it's in the plans to fix it or not). However, there does seem to be something "new" surrounding the bug. In the past, when I clicked on a rating, it actually "works", but it navigates away from the page you are on. I would just hit the back button and go about my business. However, these days, it does the same, but after it navigates away, the browser basically becomes unusable. Any page after that just loads indefinitely with nothing coming up.

Just thought I'd pass that along.[/QUOTE]

I've experienced this as well. Considering how long we've been forced to live with the Netflix bug, I'm beginning to think that I'm going to have to use another browser permanently in order to use Netflix. At least the old behavior was workable.

I really hope that Omni takes Netflix compatibility seriously soon.