The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniWeb Feature Requests (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   URL of downloaded file in Spotlight comments? (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=314)

jphaag 2006-05-01 09:23 AM

URL of downloaded file in Spotlight comments?

As the title says.

Wouldn´t it be nice to have OW automatically write the URL of a downloaded file to the Spotlight comments of said file?

JKT 2006-05-01 10:51 AM

Does it not still do this, as it used to in earlier versions of OmniWeb (write to the Comments field anyway - not so sure it did it since Tiger and Spotlight as I haven't had the need to look)?

marc 2006-05-01 09:55 PM

[QUOTE=jphaag]Wouldn´t it be nice to have OW automatically write the URL of a downloaded file to the Spotlight comments of said file?

[QUOTE=JKT]Does it not still do this, as it used to in earlier versions of OmniWeb (write to the Comments field anyway - not so sure it did it since Tiger and Spotlight as I haven't had the need to look)?[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
No, not at the moment (at least in my copy!)

This is a very handy feature, and I'd also like to see it extended to images dragged from a page (it's even harder to remember where they came from!)

One thing to consider; this feature wrote the URL to the comments field, as there was no better alternative. Now that we have extended attributes via Spotlight (see the [B]More Info[/B] section of the [B]Get Info[/B] window) perhaps this detail be written to the 'Where From' attribute?

Of course, at the moment Apple doesn't allow you to interact with that data (e.g. Ctrl-click to visit the root URL) so it may not be perfect... just a thought.

Jon Hicks 2006-05-04 02:02 PM

I'm all for this feature too. It was IE 5 mac that used to do this, and it was such a simple but useful resource. If it could work for dragged images too (as Marc suggested) then even better!

Forrest 2006-05-04 02:42 PM

There was some discussion about this back in either the OW 4.5 or 5.0 days. There was a period of time where it was really hard for the OG to write that data as it was a common source for crashes. I wouldn't be surprised if it went away, but I sure hope it stays.

troyb 2006-05-06 01:06 AM

This was lost in the move to WebKit, we have a bug open to restore the feature (which should happen for the final release).

Jon Hicks 2006-05-11 04:39 AM

So did Omniweb used to do this?

Anyway, great to see this in sp10!

Ken Case 2006-05-11 06:20 AM

Yes, writing the URL of the download to the file's comments has been an OmniWeb feature since 2001. (I think we introduced it in a 4.1 beta, pulled it briefly because we were tickling some bug in the Finder, then found a way to bring it back in 4.2.)

myckmack 2006-05-11 10:24 AM

« OmniWeb 5.5 Sneaky Peek 10 Release Notes

The source URL will now be added to the comments section of a downloaded file.

... »

marc 2006-05-11 10:55 AM

[QUOTE=myckmack]« OmniWeb 5.5 Sneaky Peek 10 Release Notes
The source URL will now be added to the comments section of a downloaded file.
... »[/QUOTE]
Just to be a broken record, how about adding the URL to images dragged to the desktop (once that's working, of course)?

This would be helpful in back-tracking to where an interesting image came from -- comes up a lot for me... no-one else?