The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   Other WebDAV (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   swissdisk down? (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=14162)

Chris 2009-09-02 05:52 AM

1.7.1 borked swissdisk.com for me

Hi all,

I sync OF through swissdisk.com, and I upgraded from 1.6.1 to 1.7.1 on my work machine yesterday. Now I cannot log into swissdisk.com from that machine. OF fails to sync, giving the message:

[QUOTE]Unable to perform WebDAV operation.

The disk.swissdisk.com server returned “internal server error” (500) in response to a request to “PROPFIND /myusername/OmniFocus.ofocus”.
[/QUOTE]

If I try to log onto the account from the web page, I get this message:

[QUOTE]Server error!

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there was an error in a CGI script.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 500

disk.swissdisk.com
Wed Sep 2 06:12:31 2009
Apache[/QUOTE]

This happens ONLY on the machine that I upgraded to OF 1.7.1. I can still log into my swissdisk.com from other machines (that either don't have OF on them or that I haven't upgraded).

Anyone else see anything like this? It's extremely frustrating. This is 10.5.7. Sending this directly to OG as well.

webalstrom 2009-09-02 11:52 AM

I had the same thing happen to me. I finally was able to get into my Swissdisk (SD) account via Firefox (Safari kept giving me that error message).

Once I knew it wasn't Swissdisk being down or me entering the wrong username/password, I tried to re-enter my SD account username and password into OF, but OF wouldn't let me.

Finally I went to my Keychain and deleted the Swissdisk key. Then when I tried to sync, I was able to re-enter my username/password and it's worked fine since then.

Eric

whpalmer4 2009-09-02 02:06 PM

[QUOTE=webalstrom;65941]
Finally I went to my Keychain and deleted the Swissdisk key. Then when I tried to sync, I was able to re-enter my username/password and it's worked fine since then. [/QUOTE]

Make sure you've got your username/password correctly memorized or copied down before deleting the keychain entry, or you'll never see your data again!

Chris 2009-09-02 02:17 PM

[QUOTE=webalstrom;65941]
Finally I went to my Keychain and deleted the Swissdisk key. Then when I tried to sync, I was able to re-enter my username/password and it's worked fine since then.[/QUOTE]

Yes, a support ninja suggested this to me and it worked.

webalstrom 2009-09-03 06:31 AM

[QUOTE=whpalmer4;65954]Make sure you've got your username/password correctly memorized or copied down before deleting the keychain entry, or you'll never see your data again![/QUOTE]

The reason I thought about the Keychain in the first place is because I thought I had the wrong password typed in. I had already gone through the process of updating my password on the Swissdisk admin page before I deleted the Keychain. (The admin page still worked, it was just the page with the stored files which wouldn't load).

But still, that's good advice. Never delete a Keychain unless you're really sure you know what you're doing!

Eric

johan 2009-10-14 01:17 PM

Almost the exact same thing just happened to me, and I'm unable to resolve it. When I try to sync from my iPhone or laptop, I get a similar error message to the above:
[QUOTE]The disk.swissdisk.com server returned “method not allowed” (405) in response to a request to “PROPFIND /username/OmniFocus.ofocus”.[/QUOTE]

When I try to log in through the web (FF and Safari), I get this:
[QUOTE]Could not connect to SQL DB: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)[/QUOTE]

Anyone recognise this? I've e-mailed the swissdisk support, but I really need to resolve this issue quickly. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

/Johan

uscmeche 2009-10-14 01:34 PM

I am having the same issue. Perhaps Swissdisk is having problems today.

johan 2009-10-14 01:39 PM

[QUOTE=uscmeche;68311]I am having the same issue. Perhaps Swissdisk is having problems today.[/QUOTE]
I see. Let's hope they fix it promptly.

johan 2009-10-14 01:48 PM

I solved it. By switching to Mydisk.se. It works like a charm, and so far syncing is MUCH faster than when I used Swissdisk. I have no idea why. :)

uscmeche 2009-10-14 01:53 PM

[QUOTE=johan;68315]I solved it. By switching to Mydisk.se. It works like a charm, and so far syncing is MUCH faster than when I used Swissdisk. I have no idea why. :)[/QUOTE]

I will follow your lead. I like that it was faster.

johan 2009-10-14 01:59 PM

[QUOTE=uscmeche;68317]I will follow your lead. I like that it was faster.[/QUOTE]

And it's Swedish. Like me. ;)

kidtreo 2009-10-14 06:32 PM

i too am trying mydisk.se as swissdisk is a double fail

kingsinger 2009-10-14 09:18 PM

swissdisk down?

Is anyone else having a hard time logging into swissdisk? I can't sink or log into my space from the website or using connect to server.

withnail 2009-10-14 09:34 PM

Yep same here.

kingsinger 2009-10-14 09:48 PM

Okay. Thanks. So let's just hope they are having some sort of temporary outage.

tinley 2009-10-14 10:34 PM

Swiss

I had the same problem described earlier in this thread
[INDENT]Could not connect to SQL DB: Can\'t connect to local MySQL server through socket \'/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock\' (2)[/INDENT]
I emailed SwissDisk and they said they were fixing problems which would take 2-3 hours. It's been 12 hours now and still not working so have switched to myDisk.se as johan suggested, and it seems to be faster as uscmeche suggested. Thanks to both of you for the tips :)

bsf 2009-10-15 05:54 AM

Swissdisk is still down...

I couldn't sync or get in via browser so I sent a support request to them at 10:30am PST. this is the answer I got back:

"Dear SwissDisk user,

We appologize for the downtime.

Our engineers had to perform some emergengy maintenance on the SwissDisk system.

Please rest assured that your data is safe. The engineering staff is working to restore the system as quickly as possible. Hopefully everything can be resolved quickly but at this time, to be safe, we anticipate the system may be down for another 2-3 hours.
Thank you very much for your patience during this maintenance period.

We are doing everything we can to provide SwissDisk users the most secure and reliable service possible. We sincerely appreciate your business.

Sincerely,
SwissDisk Management and Support Team"

Well, it's nearly 7am PST the next day, 19ish hours later and they are still down.

I set-up a mydisk.ch account as a back-up, but I cannot get it so sync. (don't know the path to put into OF)

kidtreo 2009-10-15 06:39 AM

I'm down as well. What a drag. I'm using webdav because Bonjour sync is totally broken under 10.6.1 and the Ninjas can not make any headway on the issue yet. I set up an account with Mydisk.se but don't know the procedure for setting this up.

WHAT A DRAG

kidtreo 2009-10-15 06:49 AM

Any swissdisk alternatives with instructions for set up folks?

thanks!

pumblechook114 2009-10-15 06:50 AM

Can someone who has used Mydisk.se type up a quick guide for setting it up? I haven't been able to sync with Swissdisk since yesterday morning and I can't go on without syncing any longer. :(

Just setup an account with mydisk.se, but I'm not sure of the address to drop into OF.

Thanks in advance!

bsf 2009-10-15 08:29 AM

try this: [url]https://mydisk.se/username/OFdirectory[/url]

My problem is that OF won't ask me for the login so I just get a connection failure message. Arghhhhhh!

mws 2009-10-15 08:56 AM

Maybe you could first connect it via the Finder and save the Login in the keychain.

hgovin 2009-10-15 12:26 PM

I was having the same problem with SwissDisk, so I set up a free account at MyDisk.se and it works just fine.

Here's what to do:

1. Set up the free account at [url]www.mydisk.se[/url] (you'll choose a username and password)

2. In the OF desktop client, go to the sync preferences and replace the swissdisk URL with this: [url]https://mydisk.se/username[/url]

3. Click "Sync Now" (you'll need to enter your new username and password when prompted)

4. Then do the same on your iPhone or other clients.

Bingo, everything should be working as it was before, except you're using mydisk.se (which offers 2GB free storage).

bsf 2009-10-15 03:26 PM

[QUOTE=mws;68369]Maybe you could first connect it via the Finder and save the Login in the keychain.[/QUOTE]

That worked. Quite an opaque way to do it. OF should have a way to enter your login easily, that is a kludge.

Ken Case 2009-10-15 04:05 PM

[QUOTE=bsf;68390]That worked. Quite an opaque way to do it. OF should have a way to enter your login easily, that is a kludge.[/QUOTE]

OmniFocus does have a place to enter login information, but there's an operating system bug (only in some versions of the OS!) where it won't ask OmniFocus for the password when there's already a password in the keychain, even if that password is wrong. It just retries using the keychain's password, and retries, and retries again, without ever prompting. (This isn't specific to OmniFocus; you can also reproduce this bug in Safari on those versions of the OS.)

I have some ideas on how we might be able to work around this bug (by storing the password somewhere else in the keychain so the OS doesn't see it), but my preference would be for Apple to fix the underlying bug in the OS.

defilmj 2009-10-16 12:07 PM

So much for 12 hours!

So much for 12 Hours! They are still down, and I pay for my service.
@ $4, you get what you pay for.

I think I am just going to have to set up my own Webdav server
on my gaming server I lease from EVO servers... It is just a PIA
to load the Webdav module and run an apache server on a box that
does not have a webserver running. It is just an exposure.. Small, but
still.. RUnning a webserver just to sync....

clarsen 2009-10-17 07:52 AM

down for me too

it's not OF. [url]https://disk.swissdisk.com[/url] refuses connections right now.

well, crisis is opportunity, so i'll look into alternatives now.

uof 2009-10-17 11:29 AM

Yep - mydisk.se all good for me too after my swissdisk failed. Main database and duesoon.ics calendar all seem to be working fine.

Daniel M. Clark 2009-10-18 04:34 PM

Only after submitting a ticket with SwissDisk did I get this email. There is no mention of it anywhere else that I can find.
[QUOTE]Attention SwissDisk Users,

We regret to inform you that due to an unplanned and unforeseen catastrophic hardware failure caused by multiple simultaneous events the engineering staff was unable to restore the SwissDisk file server to it's previous status.

During this unfortunate time SwissDisk management extends our apologies to anyone who may have been adversely effected by this random occurrence.

To prevent any future outages SwissDisk management has signed a contractual service agreement with a multi-billion dollar company. For the first time this will enable SwissDisk to provide our customers with a 99.95% service level agreement. SwissDisk users will enjoy the peace of mind that comes with access to a truely world class, internationally deployed, multi-million dollar, extremely resiliant storage infrastructure and internet network.

Swissdisk management has decided that during this downtime that they will spend considerable resources to migrate the SwissDisk system onto this secure, fail safe, state-of-the-art platform. The New SwissDisk will have virtually unlimited redundancy powered by one of the most respected and reliable modern storage architectures in the world.

Use of these powerful network resources combined with the security of the propietary SwissDisk software will provide SwissDisk users with unparalleled reliability, safety and security for their data.

SwissDisk Management would like to extend the following offers to our customers:

To all customers with free accounts, please watch the [url]www.SwissDisk.com[/url] home page for updates for the release of "The New SwissDisk" service. Truely reliable, free secure storage is coming!

To all SwissDisk customers with paid accounts, we will be offering 6 months free service with double the secure storage space on "The New SwissDisk".

Please note, due to the unplanned outage all accounts will be required to re-register.

The entire SwissDisk team would like to say thank you to all our customers for using SwissDisk. Further we are very sorry for the interruption in service and hope that you will continue to believe, as we do, in the security and privacy that a SwissDisk account offers.

Sincerely,
SwissDisk Management[/QUOTE]Looks like they lost [I]everything[/I].

defilmj 2009-10-18 04:38 PM

SWISSDISK BIT THE BIG ONE! - Never saw a response like this!

Wow Swissdisk.com died. But Now, they are really really reliable, a opposed to "really reliable" before??? Err.... fool me once... :mad:

[QUOTE]Attention SwissDisk Users,

We regret to inform you that due to an unplanned and unforeseen catastrophic hardware failure caused by multiple simultaneous events the engineering staff was unable to restore the SwissDisk file server to it's previous status.

During this unfortunate time SwissDisk management extends our apologies to anyone who may have been adversely effected by this random occurrence.

To prevent any future outages SwissDisk management has signed a contractual service agreement with a multi-billion dollar company. For the first time this will enable SwissDisk to provide our customers with a 99.95% service level agreement. SwissDisk users will enjoy the peace of mind that comes with access to a truely world class, internationally deployed, multi-million dollar, extremely resiliant storage infrastructure and internet network.

Swissdisk management has decided that during this downtime that they will spend considerable resources to migrate the SwissDisk system onto this secure, fail safe, state-of-the-art platform. The New SwissDisk will have virtually unlimited redundancy powered by one of the most respected and reliable modern storage architectures in the world.

Use of these powerful network resources combined with the security of the propietary SwissDisk software will provide SwissDisk users with unparalleled reliability, safety and security for their data.

SwissDisk Management would like to extend the following offers to our customers:

To all customers with free accounts, please watch the [url]www.SwissDisk.com[/url] home page for updates for the release of "The New SwissDisk" service. Truely reliable, free secure storage is coming!

To all SwissDisk customers with paid accounts, we will be offering 6 months free service with double the secure storage space on "The New SwissDisk".

Please note, due to the unplanned outage all accounts will be required to re-register.

The entire SwissDisk team would like to say thank you to all our customers for using SwissDisk. Further we are very sorry for the interruption in service and hope that you will continue to believe, as we do, in the security and privacy that a SwissDisk account offers.

Sincerely,
SwissDisk Management
[/QUOTE]

clarsen 2009-10-19 04:48 AM

private webdav

[QUOTE=clarsen;68454]it's not OF. [url]https://disk.swissdisk.com[/url] refuses connections right now.

well, crisis is opportunity, so i'll look into alternatives now.[/QUOTE]

If you do use your own private webdav system, keep this in mind: if you get PROPFIND errors in the UI, you may have to add [CODE]BrowserMatch ^OmniFocus redirect-carefully
BrowserMatch ^CFNetwork redirect-carefully[/CODE] to your .htaccess file [url]http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=8974[/url]

-Case

MacBernac 2009-10-19 09:36 AM

SwissDisk Down?

Suddenly can't sync w/SwissDisk server, either by mobile or computer. Site is up but disk.swissdisk.com is not found. Any suggestions? Thanks much. :confused:

MacBernac 2009-10-19 11:02 AM

Breaking News on SwissDisk outage!

After inquiring to SwissDisk support, got this email:

Attention SwissDisk Users,

Sincerely,
SwissDisk Management

Yikes.

BrianCarter 2009-10-19 02:59 PM

They are. I emailed them on the 14th and they got back to me on the 15th with this form letter.

[QUOTE]Dear SwissDisk user,

We regret to inform you that the SwissDisk system suffered a problem that has caused a system outage. Our engineering staff is working to restore the system at this time.

Unfortunately we do not have an accurate estimate of the time necessary to restore the system. Please understand that we are doing everything we can as quickly as possible to get the system back online. We will keep all concerned parties informed of the progress as the information becomes available.

We appreciate your patience and understanding during this time. While the system is down we are adding additional resources and taking additional safety steps to ensure that the entire system is as reliable as possible.

We will be giving extra credit to anyone with a paid account to compensate for the downtime.

Thank you again for being a SwissDisk account holder, we appreciate your business.

Sincerely,
SwissDisk Management and Support[/QUOTE]

I'm stuck with Bonjour synching until they fix this.

Saaby 2009-10-19 07:23 PM

Even though work provided me with a MobileMe account, I've been using SwissDisk. Well I just left that job and ended up with my own MobileMe account, so I guess I'll just switch to that.

If you have some other iPhone toting, Mac-centric friends you can split a family subscription. Brings the cost way down.

HappyDude 2009-10-20 08:33 PM

This sucks. I loved using SwissDisk for the past 2 months. What I loved was that syncing was super fast. Within the Mac App the orange circle sync icon would only circumvent once and it all was synced. In the iPod Touch app I synced super fast too...so fast that if I was running late in the morning could open the app, auto-sync and it would've all synced in less than 10 seconds which was great cause it normally takes 20 seconds to exit my wifi zone at home..

I mention this cause i've been using mydisk.se for the past week and honestly am not a big fan...really only cause of the syncing...it's slow.

On the Mac app the orange circle winds [I]at least 3 times[/I] before it stops and is synced. Honestly this isn't too big of a deal for me since when i'm working on my mac can handle 3 circlings....but with the ipod touch app it it takes [B]forever.[/B] No exaggeration at least a minute. and even then within the past week at random times have gotten syncing error messages where the small window pops up telling me to retry.

I never had this problem with swissdisk...

Iono, I just wanna sync quickly. Any help at all?

minpinmax 2009-10-22 03:22 PM

Good News!

swissdisk is back up and it is faster than mydisk.se!

HappyDude 2009-10-23 12:56 AM

[QUOTE=minpinmax;68695]Good News!

swissdisk is back up and it is faster than mydisk.se![/QUOTE]

The moment I read this I went back to SwissDisk.

It's very interesting to mention that once I was back syncing with SwissDisk my syncing time sped up tremendously.

Mydisk.se times were approx. 30 seconds on my Mac & 1-2 minutes on my iPod Touch.

With SwissDisk it takes less than 5 seconds, normally 2-4 seconds on my Mac and about 10 seconds on my iPod Touch.

My only little qualm, though ain't complaining, is with the iPod Touch syncing is i'll need to enter the "inbox" or "flagged" in order to see the update. So if my iPod Touch's inbox has nothing in the inbox and after the sync was suppose to bring in 10 inbox items from my Mac, i'd have to tap on the "inbox" on my iPod to see them and for the OF app to recognize "10" inbox items.

But other than that i'm happy to be syncing fast!

:D

samj 2009-10-23 01:47 AM

[QUOTE=HappyDude;68721]The moment I read this I went back to SwissDisk.

It's very interesting to mention that once I was back syncing with SwissDisk my syncing time sped up tremendously.[/QUOTE]

So you believe that lightning never strikes the same place twice eh?

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Sam

HappyDude 2009-10-23 02:30 AM

[QUOTE=samj;68727]So you believe that lightning never strikes the same place twice eh?

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Sam[/QUOTE]

Eh.

I didn't lose anything the first time around. I'm sure it'll crash again in like a year and when it does I'll just temporarilly use something else.

But syncing is super fast and I'm incredibly content.

dbabbage 2009-10-27 06:35 PM

How to migrate?

I was previously synching to the old swiss disk, but as they have said, all that data is gone. I have OmniFocus on three computers and an iPhone, all with basically the same database but with a few unsynched tasks.

What is the process I should follow to migrate to a new shared database, so that I can get back to synching on a new host without losing any of these tasks that have been added on each computer?

MichaelG 2009-10-27 10:38 PM

I liked the speed on swiss disk as well. I was not impressed that I contacted them on two different occasions and received NO replies or notifications that they were having a problem. For me, tough call on whether to go back for the synching speed. Glad to hear some of you heard from them.

whpalmer4 2009-10-28 05:33 PM

[QUOTE=dbabbage;68961]
What is the process I should follow to migrate to a new shared database, so that I can get back to synching on a new host without losing any of these tasks that have been added on each computer?[/QUOTE]
Probably the best approach is to have the support ninjas help you through this if you've got outstanding changes on multiple clients and can't lose any of them. Call them at 1-800-315-OMNI during Pacific time business hours and they'll walk you through it. That said, I'll give you a rough sketch of what you need to do:

You can use sorting or grouping by date changed and date added to help you track down any changes made on a given client (except the iPhone) since the last time they were all in sync. I would do that on each of the computers, then tell the iPhone to sync its database to the new server, keeping the iPhone's copy, if asked. Then on each computer, tell it to make a backup of the current database, then sync to the new server database, taking the new server's data. Open up the backup you made, drag over any new actions you created since the last sync from the backup to the new live data, and reapply any other changes you made (completing actions, changing dates, etc.) which you found above. Repeat this drill for each computer and you should be back in business.

For the future, sync is usually more efficient if only one machine at a time has outstanding changes, and it's a lot easier to recover from the server getting wiped out -- you just tell the machine that has the most recent data to sync to the new server to regenerate the server database, without the tedium of finding each machine's local unsynced changes. You might consider setting up a backup server account on another provider, so in the future when one fails, you can immediately switch and not end up with multiple machines with unsynced changes. I'm guessing that you maybe only got into that situation because Swissdisk was out of action far longer (and more catastrophically) than expected, and you wanted to get some work done at the different machines. Not such a problem if the server eventually comes back with your sync database intact, but a pain when it doesn't!

withnail 2009-11-03 07:38 PM

Morning All,

When trying to Sync today I get the following error: -

[QUOTE]Unable to perform WebDAV operation.

The disk.swissdisk.com server returned “forbidden” (403) in response to a request to “MKCOL /withnail/OmniFocus.ofocus-copy-in-progress-kuu3ZMsIuna”.[/QUOTE]

I've tested my username and password and I'm able to login via the swissdisk website.

I've also tried removing the sync info setting to another method, then entering the swiss disk information again.

Does anyone have any ideas?

David4GTD 2009-12-17 05:33 AM

Yep - SwissDisk Doing Same Thing

[QUOTE=uscmeche;68317]I will follow your lead. I like that it was faster.[/QUOTE]

This will be my third WebDav Service - I am having the same problem. First, my file got corrupted on my exchange service (01.com) and then SwissDisk came up with the same error message above - just started.

I will try Disk.se and see... anyone who has other suggestions they are welcomed!