The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniWeb Feature Requests (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Find as you Type support (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=47)

neilio 2006-03-30 12:04 PM

Find as you Type support

This has always been a half-completed project in earlier versions of Omniweb, but with Webkit it would be really great to see a true version of this in Omniweb. It's one of the major things I miss a lot when using Omniweb.

I know Safari does not support this out of the box, but the Saft plugin (and a few others) can add support for this, so it is doable.

Generally speaking, it would be great to see Omniweb somehow make it possible for existing Safari inputmanagers to work "out of the box" once the developer adds loading support for their plugins. This would open up a huge number of plugins that could extend Omniweb's features beyond what Omingroup plans to roll out.

Neil

philonous 2006-03-30 02:33 PM

I second this most strongly. I miss this feature a lot, too.

[QUOTE=neilio]This has always been a half-completed project in earlier versions of Omniweb, but with Webkit it would be really great to see a true version of this in Omniweb. It's one of the major things I miss a lot when using Omniweb.

I know Safari does not support this out of the box, but the Saft plugin (and a few others) can add support for this, so it is doable.

Generally speaking, it would be great to see Omniweb somehow make it possible for existing Safari inputmanagers to work "out of the box" once the developer adds loading support for their plugins. This would open up a huge number of plugins that could extend Omniweb's features beyond what Omingroup plans to roll out.

Neil[/QUOTE]

fryke 2006-03-31 04:24 AM

(on such forums, it's considered good behaviour _not_ to quote a whole message and just add a line, even more so if what you quote is right above your message...)

Although I don't _really_ miss the feature, I guess I would make use of it if it were there, so I second this, too.

Jon Hicks 2006-03-31 06:06 AM

This is the highest on my feature request list. I use this all the time in Camino and Saftari, while Firefox has an excellent UI for find as you type searches that pops up when you start typing. Please implement this!

Forrest 2006-03-31 12:37 PM

I would like find-as-you-type provided two things:
- a suitable replace me for the current "find-link-as-you-type" is created
- the find entry continues to work the same way it does now. for example, if I do a find in OW for "omniweb" when I go into BBEdit I just need to hit "find again" to find the same word. I'm sure this is due to some sort of system integration and has a given name, but I'm not aware of it.

Otherwise, hitting command+f first hasn't been much of an issue for me.

Jon Hicks 2006-03-31 01:32 PM

[QUOTE=Forrest]Otherwise, hitting command+f first hasn't been much of an issue for me.[/QUOTE]

Hitting cmd-f isn't an issue, but typing straight away, and hitting cmd-g to find other instances is just simply SO much faster.

Forrest 2006-03-31 02:29 PM

[QUOTE=Jon Hicks]Hitting cmd-f isn't an issue, but typing straight away, and hitting cmd-g to find other instances is just simply SO much faster.[/QUOTE]

So right now someone has to hit command+f, type, hit return and then command+g. What you guys are asking for is just to type, and then command+g. Thus removing the need for command+f and hitting return, correct?

With Firefox, which you mentioned earlier, to me it seems like I still have to hit command+f to do find as you type. So the only time saver is not having to hit return. Is that correct?

Ken Case 2006-03-31 03:57 PM

The advantage of Find As You Type (also known as Incremental Search to those of us who've used it in emacs for 20 years) is not that it saves you from having to hit Command-F or Return, it's that you don't have to type the full search string if you find what you're looking for after typing just a few of the letters of the search.

I definitely want to add it after we ship 5.5, I just don't want to get distracted from shipping 5.5 as soon as possible.

Forrest 2006-03-31 04:56 PM

Ahhh, ok. Thanks.

Jon Hicks 2006-03-31 09:36 PM

But it does also save you from hitting cmd-f and return!

BTW - in Firefox, there is a preference that lets you start typing without cmd-f first.

Chris McElligott 2006-03-31 10:13 PM

I'd love this too, its one of the things I miss from Camino. /-type something would be nice :)

Nutrimentia 2006-04-26 01:22 PM

This is my highest rated request as well. It makes me happy to know that you plan on implementing it, but I just wanted to let you know that there are more people who really like it. I love just being able to hit a letter or two in 5.1.3 and have it jump to a link.

bethkatz17582 2006-04-27 08:38 AM

For instance, I'm trying to use speech to navigate these forum pages, and it would be nice to be able to spell links.

Edit: Correct that request to just be a type to find. The speech part is supposed to work by saying the link, but that isn't working.

rorya 2006-05-14 09:19 PM

Ken,

Wouldn't this feature conflict with Document input? Seems like, especially with some of these new wiz-bang AJAX apps, having this feature would prevent certain kinds of input at the document level. I believe I ran into this very issue when trying an AJAX SSH client on OW, recently. How would the browser discern between "find as you type" and document input? This might be an issue all browsers might have to deal with.

Is it really safe to assume that the only time input is sent to a document, when you've focused on an HTML document input element? Actually, when I noticed this feature was gone in 5.5, I thought it was due to WebKit not offering this feature, and it may be for good reason.

Another example.. earlier today, on this very forum I was doing a post, and I think these messages are typed in <textarea>'s.. anyhow, I have gotten used to using the Emacs key bindings offered in Cocoa apps, so expecting to behave as usual, I pressed Ctrl-p I think it was, and instead of moving up oneline, OW ended up triggering the "preview post" button at the bottom. I assume it did this because this forum system bound that key somehow, but of course I had no way of knowing it was bound. So, it seems to me that now with these more interactive web applications being deployed, the issue of "input focus" is becoming a bigger concern with web browsers. So should the line be drawn between browser and document input? What's your opinion?

edenwaith 2006-06-07 05:50 PM

Oh, yesyesyesyes. Please.

One of the best features since Firefox 0.9.x. I love the find as you type searching, it keeps things a lot cleaner than the Find window disappearing behind other windows.

Forrest 2006-06-07 07:38 PM

I would just like to say, since the difference was made clear to me and I use FF quite a bit lately (specifically because of a toolbar) I would really like this feature now.

Jesse the K 2006-06-08 02:23 PM

[COLOR="Red"]Incremental find as you type is a must if you're not using a mouse![/COLOR]

Using keyboard only (and mousekeys when I must) is much more accessible for me, because I have mobility impairments.
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]The good news is: "Next" button on the Enter key is back![/COLOR]

Forrest 2006-06-08 10:44 PM

[QUOTE=Jesse the K][COLOR="Red"]Incremental find as you type is a must if you're not using a mouse![/COLOR]

Using keyboard only (and mousekeys when I must) is much more accessible for me, because I have mobility impairments.
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]The good news is: "Next" button on the Enter key is back![/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Just hit command+g.

Jesse the K 2006-06-09 08:26 AM

[QUOTE=Forrest]Just hit command+g.[/QUOTE]

Well, no.

Because the command-F find doesn't move the system cursor (usually appears with blue highlight). With Safari+Saft or Firefox's find, the found object is immediately selectable. That is, when I do spacebar or return on the found text and it's also a link, I move to that link.

But OW's current (5.1.3) implementation of command-F requires me to route the pointer to that location and then click.

The good news with 5.1.3 is that I can move the "system cursor" with command-option-Up / command-option-Down. That's broken in SP14. I assume the 5.5 release will at least fix this.

Forrest 2006-06-09 10:31 AM

So command+g isn't finding next for you?

Jesse the K 2006-06-11 06:54 PM

Yes, command-F finds, and command-G finds the next occurrence. My point is that OW's command-F find/command G next are not a slightly-longer equivalent to find-as-you-type.

Other Browsers' find-as-you-type move the system cursor (highlight) with the keyboard input, so one can always act on the found text immediately, without needing to move the pointer/cursor with the mouse (or an alternate input device).

Forrest 2006-06-13 11:27 AM

[QUOTE=Jesse the K]Other Browsers' find-as-you-type move the system cursor (highlight) with the keyboard input, so one can always act on the found text immediately, without needing to move the pointer/cursor with the mouse (or an alternate input device).[/QUOTE]

At least with Firefox, command+g functions the same as with OmniWeb. So I'm still confused why you say we need to move the pointer/cursor with the mouse. Hitting command+g highlights the next instance, just like Firefox.

yeled 2006-06-13 11:48 PM

thanks Ken

pjb 2006-07-20 12:24 PM

[QUOTE=Ken Case]...
I definitely want to add it after we ship 5.5, I just don't want to get distracted from shipping 5.5 as soon as possible.[/QUOTE]

With public beta 1 out, I hope it won't be long before this great feature returns.

macsterdam 2006-07-30 09:56 AM

I can't wait for this feature either. I'm so used to it in Safari (thanks to SafariStand) that I really miss it in Omniweb. Here's to a quick implementation.

CheepnisAroma 2006-07-30 09:57 AM

I second (or third!) this :cool:

David Latapie 2006-08-23 03:18 AM

[QUOTE=Ken Case]I definitely want to add it after we ship 5.5, I just don't want to get distracted from shipping 5.5 as soon as possible.[/QUOTE]So probabilities are high for an incremental search for next OW. This is great news.

pjb 2006-08-29 02:02 PM

it's back

Thanks. Incremental Search really makes laptop browsing better.

FredH 2006-09-03 02:41 PM

So if I understand correctly (I just downloaded OW), right now you can do find-as-you-type for links but not for regular text, and the latter is expected soon?

David Latapie 2006-09-03 07:07 PM

Err no. No incremental search at all for now and it should ship with 6.0. What you *do* have for now is regular expression searches—something I know only one other browser to have, and this is a text browser.

Len Case 2006-09-03 11:15 PM

We do support type-to-find links. Just make sure the web page is the "key" view and that it doesn't have javascript key handlers (like Gmail does) and you should be able to type "l" and have it take you to the first link with an "l" in the text of the link.

kga1978 2006-11-20 09:02 AM

So right now this works with links - but would it be possible to expand this (possibly with an option under preferences) so it would include the rest of the text as well?

I used to use this feature all the time in Camino, since I read a lot of online articles - and here it comes in extremely handy.... Just selecting links is not really useful to me.

Thanks

jwiegley 2008-03-17 07:57 PM

[QUOTE=kga1978;8755]So right now this works with links - but would it be possible to expand this (possibly with an option under preferences) so it would include the rest of the text as well?[/QUOTE]

I would love this feature as well.

John

David Latapie 2008-03-23 04:46 AM

Find as you type in Omniweb 5.7?

Now that 5.7 is on its way, may we expect this feature to make it through the final 5.7 version?

FernDesign 2008-12-02 09:26 PM

sarch included in layout

hi its 5.8 now
i hope for a sensitive search as well
and i would like to see the search to be includet into the design (sorry when i miss the setting for this.. couldn't find it) - i search a lot and its nothing more anoying like an extra popup you have to click in.
[IMG]http://www.ferndesign.biz/search-ff[/IMG]
A proper working search would look like this (for me):
CMD F - type in your search word (you don't have to click anywhere - cursor is in search field) - search highlights instantly all found phrases - hit return to get the next result

Nazaire 2008-12-06 07:39 AM

The new Safari 3.2 search (as you type + highlight all occurences) is really nice ; I would love to have in on OW.

Cheers !

N.