The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Project Names During Reviews (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=11398)

invictus26 2009-02-23 11:40 AM

Project Names During Reviews

When I'm in project view doing a review, the actions are grouped by project, but the project name doesn't include the folder it's in. This is a problem because many of my sub-projects have the same name and I differentiate them by putting them in folders. In context view, it shows the project for each action as FOLDER NAME : PROJECT NAME. I would like to see something like this in the project view. Does anyone have a way around this, or is this a worthwhile feature?

Greg Jones 2009-02-23 12:33 PM

I think this would be an excellent enhancement-good idea! I run into this myself, but mostly with single action lists within folders. I've worked around this by naming the SALs with 'Folder Name: SAL list name', but including your suggestion would be a nice improvement.

jasong 2009-02-23 10:29 PM

I filed a similar request in Oct. 2007 (#214994). I'm guessing it fell into the "future" pile:

Hi,

In context mode, it's impossible to know which action group an action belongs to. If I have a project like this:

Give Annual Reviews (Project, parallel)
[_] Give John Review
[_] Meet w/John
[_] File paperwork
[_] Give Paul Review
[_] Meet w/Paul
[_] File paperwork

In Context mode, I see

[_] Meet w/John (Give Annual Reviews)
[_] Meet w/Paul (Give Annual Reviews)

Which is fine; but when I complete these, I see
[_] File paperwork (Give Annual Reviews)
[_] File paperwork (Give Annual Reviews)

I know I could say "File paperwork for John's review" but I shouldn't need to, as I already have the data necessary to show me that information. I would like to see something like this:

[_] File paperwork (Give John Review, Give Annual Reviews)
[_] File paperwork (Give Paul Review, Give Annual Reviews)

Additionally, when I'm grouped by project, it's redundant to have the project header *and* the project name listed. So I'd like to see this when grouped by project:

Give Annual Reviews
[_] File paperwork (Give John Review)
[_] File paperwork (Give Paul Review)

And finally, I'd like an additional option for grouping, action-groups. This would first group by project, and then further group by action group. This would look like this:

Give Annual Reviews (Project, parallel)
Give John Review
[_] File paperwork
Give Paul Review
[_] File paperwork

dhassell 2009-03-16 03:50 PM

Phew, I'm glad I'm not alone here! I have the same problem. For nearly every folder I have, I have an On-Hold SAL named "Someday/Maybe" and another SAL named "Miscellaneous". I just spent an hour looking to see if I'm missing something -- at the very least it would be nice if it displayed the parent folder in the inspector panel.

I guess I'll use this workaround and rename them all to include the parent folder. Is there anyone else out there that this is a problem for? If there's enough of us, might be worth a change!

[QUOTE=Greg Jones;55617]I think this would be an excellent enhancement-good idea! I run into this myself, but mostly with single action lists within folders. I've worked around this by naming the SALs with 'Folder Name: SAL list name', but including your suggestion would be a nice improvement.[/QUOTE]

dhassell 2009-03-16 03:55 PM

I just renamed those, and that's helpful. However, I could still this being helpful in general for all projects. Sometimes project names are more easily recognizable in the context of the enclosing folder.