The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus Syncing (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   "database on your iPhone is incompatible with the sync database" error message (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=14317)

kevinwest66 2009-10-30 09:38 AM

"database on your iPhone is incompatible with the sync database" error message

Hello:
I am experiencing problems syncing between my laptop and my iphone. I sync via MobileMe. When I turn on omnifocus on my iPhone, I recive the following message:

Replace your database and start syncing?

The database on your iPhone is incompatible with the sync database. Which would you like to keep?

[keep device database]
[keep sync database]
[cancel]

I have selected [cancel] each time. I do not recive any error messages when I use OmniFocus on my desktop.

Here is the hardware & software I am using:

laptop:
Macbook with 2Ghz Intel Core Duo
1GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
80GB harddrive, 4.57GB available
running Mac OS 10.5.8
using OmniFocus1.7.5

iPhone
16GB iPhone 3G
1.95 GB free on the hardrive
running OS 3.1.2
using OmniFocus 1.5.3

Steveroselmac 2009-11-01 04:15 AM

Bonjour,

J'ai exactement le même problème :-(

Macbook with 2,53Ghz I
4GB RAM
320GB HDD, 45GB disponible Mac OS 10.6.1
OmniFocus1.7.5

iPhone
16GB iPhone 3GS
5 GB free on the hardrive
running OS 3.1.2 OmniFocus 1.5.3

Merci pour votre aide

Steve

Cameron 2009-11-04 10:48 PM

Same problem here. I thought it had something to do with me recently switching to WebDAV. I've sent a message to the support ninjas.

Hopetimist 2009-11-11 11:18 AM

Exactly the same problem here.

Using Webdav with Swissdisk between MacBookPro and my iPhone.

TIA
Duncan.

whpalmer4 2009-11-11 11:27 AM

[QUOTE=Hopetimist;69595]Exactly the same problem here.
[/QUOTE]
And you should take exactly the same actions -- contact the support ninjas. Help->Send Feedback, email [email]omnifocus@omnigroup.com[/email], or call 1-800-315-OMNI during US West Coast business hours.

jessmjones 2009-12-15 06:14 PM

Same problem, "database is incompatible" etc

I've been having no problems synching since downloading iPhone OF a couple of weeks ago (iPhone/MobileMe/Mac), but today got the "incompatible" message on iPhone. Haven't changed any settings anywhere, so don't know what prompted this.

Don't want to choose "device" OR "sync database," because was using iPhone OFocus AND laptop OF separately, different entries on both now, and don't want to lose either.

Has anybody found out how to fix this?

wellerpond 2009-12-16 07:47 AM

I have the same problem with a new install of the iPhone app. Happens on both my work and home computers. Just emailed the ninjas. I'll let you know what they say.

wellerpond 2009-12-16 12:21 PM

Thank you OFocus for the quick response!

The Ninja's Reply:

I'm really sorry for the trouble here. There's a sync bug on the iPhone that we're currently investigating, and will hopefully have a fix implemented in the next update.

In a nutshell, each edit to your database is stored as a separate transaction file, which form a kind of "tree" diagram, with root and tail transactions. This order of transactions need to be the same on all devices in order to sync properly. If you're editing an item or creating a new one while a sync is running on the iPhone, the new edits aren't properly saved to your database. They're stored in the application's cache, and are added to the database after the initial sync, but the subsequent sync will point to the wrong 'tail' transactions, which causes that incompatibility error.

First, you'll want to tap the following link on your phone:

[url]http://people.omnigroup.com/kc/DebugOmniFocus/EmailDatabase.html[/url]

Then, tap the Email Database link. This will generate a Mail message on your phone with the OmniFocus database attached. Edit the recipient field so that you send the email to yourself. This way, you'll have a recent backup of your iPhone's database.

Now, run a sync on your phone, and select the Sync database when prompted with that dialog.

Now, head over to your Mac. Open the email you just sent yourself, and double-click the attached OmniFocus.ofocus file- this will open your iPhone's database on your Mac's copy of OmniFocus. Select "All Items" from the Perspectives menu, and copy and paste any missing info into your main document on the Mac, and run a sync. Then, run a sync on your iPhone. This should put your iPhone and Mac back in sync. While we fix the bug, it's good practice to run a sync on the iPhone before you quit the app, without making any edits.

If you're still having trouble, feel free to call us at 800.315.6664. We're open from 10AM-5PM PST. In case the phone support people need to refer to our correspondence, your ticket number is 498090. Again, apologies for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Jameson Brown
Support Ninja
Omni Group

TucsonTom 2010-01-11 01:59 PM

Is the link correct?

I can't get this link to work from my iPhone. I'm entering it in safari as show, although it doesn't look right (too many dots.) I get a not found error.

whpalmer4 2010-01-11 04:24 PM

The link is correct if you tap it -- however it is displayed with the middle section shortened so if you type it in, it won't work. The full text is:

[code]
http://people.omnigroup.com/kc/DebugOmniFocus/EmailDatabase.html
[/code]