The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniWeb Feature Requests (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Pop up windows in new tabs? (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=141)

Mindflayer 2006-04-17 09:56 AM

Pop up windows in new tabs?

Can we have a setting to force pop-up (e.g. from target _blank and so on) into new tabs?

mat catastrophe 2006-04-17 10:04 AM

[QUOTE=Mindflayer]Can we have a setting to force pop-up (e.g. from target _blank and so on) into new tabs?[/QUOTE]

I'll second that request. It's the [I]only[/I] thing that I wish for in OmniWeb now. After that, I'll be happy.

Jon Hicks 2006-04-17 01:19 PM

+ 1 for this feature from me

Ward 2006-04-17 03:27 PM

Command-click, when it again works

I gather the previous posters are looking for a preference to automatically open new windows as tabs.

Since I have a strong habit of command-click on most links, I never know then the page author is specifying a new window. Unfortunately, this is currently broken in 5.5sp4.
[INDENT]Known Issue:
Command-clicking a link that targets _blank will open a new window, not a new tab[/INDENT]

Mindflayer 2006-04-17 05:48 PM

Ward - not only command clicking, but also when sites want to pop a new (requested) window on you. Rather than have to be aware it's going to spawn a new window, I'd like OW to handle it.

Forrest 2006-04-17 06:38 PM

I think this also goes along with a request to add "in a new window" to the status bar when a link is target="_blank"

mat catastrophe 2006-04-22 02:12 AM

From the SP 5 notes...

[QUOTE] An option to open pop-up windows in the same browser window as new tabs has been added.
You can enable this by doing a defaults write: "defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 OWOpenNewFramesInTabs -bool true[/QUOTE]

I can now die a happy man.

peterb 2006-04-24 11:03 AM

I was hoping that this new setting would work with the "Block pop-up windows" preference under the Ad Blocking tab of site preferences. My expectation is that:

* If "Block pop-up windows" is set to "Always" and "Show blocked pop-up windows in the status bar" is checked (both the default) then the popup should show up in the status bar.
* If "Block pop-up windows" is set to "Only when not requested" then instead of a new window, a new tab is opened.

Instead, the behavior I'm seeing is that once the pref is set, then all pop up windows appear in a new tab.

-peter

jordan.breeding 2006-04-26 12:34 PM

could we get "open in current tab" as well?

Here is the situation I would consider ideal:

Click on a link (regardless of whether is is set to _blank or something similar): have it open in the current window/tab
Cmd-click/Middle-click on a link: have it open in a new tab in the current window
Click on a link from another app: have it open in a new tab in the current window

I don't mind things being an option like "Behavior for _blank, etc.: nothing/same tab/new tab" but even though I like "new tab" better than just having new windows open when I don't want them to I really prefer that if I clicked on a link it should just open in my current tab. This is how I use Firefox, and how I would like to use OmniWeb. I can get "new tab" but not "same tab" with Safari Stand, but I still prefer having the choice of "same tab".

jordan.breeding 2006-04-28 05:59 AM

[QUOTE=jordan.breeding]Here is the situation I would consider ideal:

Click on a link (regardless of whether is is set to _blank or something similar): have it open in the current window/tab
Cmd-click/Middle-click on a link: have it open in a new tab in the current window
Click on a link from another app: have it open in a new tab in the current window

I don't mind things being an option like "Behavior for _blank, etc.: nothing/same tab/new tab" but even though I like "new tab" better than just having new windows open when I don't want them to I really prefer that if I clicked on a link it should just open in my current tab. This is how I use Firefox, and how I would like to use OmniWeb. I can get "new tab" but not "same tab" with Safari Stand, but I still prefer having the choice of "same tab".[/QUOTE]

Ping.

What are the chances of getting an option (even if hidden) to "force open in current tab/window" instead of only having the current "force open in new tab"?