The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   Applying OmniFocus (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Ical event sync with automated alarm function or an internal alarm function. (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=12539)

narvik04 2009-05-16 04:00 AM

Ical event sync with automated alarm function or an internal alarm function.

Ical event sync with automated alarm function or an internal alarm function.

Some people need it urgently for their profession. Nobody will be forced to use it, if it would be realized.
After email contact I know, some other programms like hitlist and things are thinking about implementing it in the future.
Of course you can sync your tasks to ical then manually ad an alarm. circuitous. And I never understood of syncing a omnifocus task list with a ical task list.... did I miss something ?

Just think about this every day case:
How should I call a client at a certain time when there is no pop up alarm on my desktop ? I got all Tasks of the project of this client in omnifocus.For that phone call I have to use a second programm to remind at a specific time of a day to make that call. While omnifocus could do this with a simple alarm, activated manually for specific tasks.

chris101 2009-05-16 05:10 AM

Have you tried using Growl notifiers to provide these alarms? i find them useful to provide the very sort of reminders you describe in your example.

Greg Jones 2009-05-16 05:10 AM

[QUOTE=narvik04;59913]How should I call a client at a certain time when there is no pop up alarm on my desktop ?[/QUOTE]

Have you tried setting up Growl for your OmniFocus notifications? It works nicely with OmniFocus with a lot of flexibility for the type of notification.

Greg Jones 2009-05-17 12:01 AM

Wow, talk about like minds posting at the same time!

narvik04 2009-05-17 03:02 AM

There are two main reasons I dont like growl as Omnifocus due task notification.
First, there are too many of them appearing at the same time. I have to read all of them to find out the important ones.
Second, all growl notifications start at one specific time, not the time the task due time is set. Or am I wrong? So a growl reminder of a phone call I have to do at 15 pm on Monday, will remind not me at 15 pm, but at a specific time set for all tasks.

Greg Jones 2009-05-17 04:52 AM

You'll get Growl notifications at the start and due dates/times set for the task. If you have your phone call set to start at say 8 am on Monday and due at 15 pm on Monday, you'll get an available notification at 8 am and an overdue notification at 15 pm.

curt.clifton 2009-05-17 04:59 AM

[QUOTE=narvik04;59959]There are two main reasons I dont like growl as Omnifocus due task notification.
First, there are too many of them appearing at the same time. I have to read all of them to find out the important ones.
Second, all growl notifications start at one specific time, not the time the task due time is set. Or am I wrong? So a growl reminder of a phone call I have to do at 15 pm on Monday, will remind not me at 15 pm, but at a specific time set for all tasks.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what you're seeing, but I get the Growl reminders as the tasks become available. Perhaps you're seeing items as the go past due and have a bunch set for the same due date.

Growl reminders are configured in System Preferences. (The UI is clunky, but that's a Growl issue not an OF one.) Once in the Growl System Pref pane, go to the Applications tab. Then you can select OmniFocus in the list, and click Configure. I have mine set up to show when tasks become available and when clippings have been added to the Inbox.

What version of OF are you using? 1.6.1 sets a limit on the number of reminders it will display at once. And how would a different alarm keep you from having to read through and find the important ones. Presumably you'd still get reminders for the same tasks. Or are you looking for additional meta-data on tasks, like the Alarm settings in iCal? If so, use [URL="http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=3734"]Help --> Send Feedback[/URL] to submit your feature request.

Lucas 2009-05-17 06:38 AM

Isn't there a script around for making a specific task into an ical event? Have you tried that?

cjs226 2009-05-17 08:25 AM

I too wish for notifications sans Growl. For example, I hope one day we'll be able to keep OF in the background of my iPhone and have it pop up notiifications.

Until that happens, integration with iCal - with alarms set per OF, seems like the way to go.

narvik04 2009-05-22 06:16 AM

thanks for your postings.
I will try to go with growl for a while. But for the future I am looking for that feature of simple pop up reminder like in ical. Maybe I got to switch to another task management software, but this would be sad.
If somebody got the link to the omnifocus to ical event alarm script, it would be nice posting it. When I ll find it, I ll let you know.