The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Alarm behavior... (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=6392)

Tinchohs 2007-12-19 05:54 PM

Alarm behavior...

I wanted to check, in case I am missing something about what is the expected behavior from the task's time.

I get that when I set an alarm, I will get a notification through growl.

The part I don't get, is why there is no way to [B]not[/B] add an alarm (unless I missed how). In an ideal scenario for me, I would like by default to not have an alarm, and then be able to set it only when I want it.

Otherwise, since the default alarm it's 12.00am, when I open the application in the morning I get perhaps 20 or 30 notifications, which add no value what so ever given that they all show past due and are way too many to keep track of.

Am i Missing something in how I have set-up or use this feature, or should the Tasks allow for no time (at least as a preference) and then have time be a case by case used when applicable?

Thanks. Martin.

curt.clifton 2007-12-19 09:15 PM

I think it is helpful to not think of the times as alarms. OF isn't a calendar application. Instead, they make more sense if you think of them as notifications. By default, OF asks Growl to notify you about tasks becoming Available, tasks becoming Due Soon, and tasks becoming Overdue. In the System Preferences --> Growl Pref. Pane --> Applications, you can select OmniFocus and adjust which notifications are displayed. Personally, I turned off notifications for Task Due Soon and Task Overdue, for just the reason you give. I still use the Task Available notification, which tells me when the start time for an action has arrived.

Tinchohs 2007-12-20 10:37 AM

Thanks Curt...

OK. I get it. Personally I think that it makes more sense for the time to be off by default, otherwise I have to set-it for every single task. But eliminating the growl notification for overdue will due - at least partially - the trick.

What I will miss is if I had a notification that I did want to have (perhaps what I miss is support for alarms) and did not open in time the OF app, then I will miss the fact that I am overdue on one particular task that I DID want to be notified...

Thanks!

longterm 2007-12-22 10:39 AM

[QUOTE=Tinchohs;29399]Thanks Curt...

OK. I get it. Personally I think that it makes more sense for the time to be off by default, otherwise I have to set-it for every single task. But eliminating the growl notification for overdue will due - at least partially - the trick.

What I will miss is if I had a notification that I did want to have (perhaps what I miss is support for alarms) and did not open in time the OF app, then I will miss the fact that I am overdue on one particular task that I DID want to be notified...

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Being a new OmniFocus user, I'm trying to learn the app; I don't see where you're setting preferences for Growl notifications. Where is that?

Thanks,

Bob P.

Tinchohs 2007-12-22 12:02 PM

[QUOTE=longterm;29600]Being a new OmniFocus user, I'm trying to learn the app; I don't see where you're setting preferences for Growl notifications. Where is that?

Thanks,

Bob P.[/QUOTE]

You have to set them from the mac system preferences. Growl it's a service that OF uses, but it's not part of the app it self. Go to system preferences and check at the bottom under the 'Other' area. Hope this helps... Enjoy!