The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Mixing Lion and Mountain Lion systems (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=25089)

WilliamGallagher 2012-08-02 09:50 PM

Mixing Lion and Mountain Lion systems

Hi,

I expect the answer is that I should stay on the previous release of OmniFocus for Mac but may I check, please?

I have two Macs and only one of them can be upgraded to Mountain Lion. Is it better to leave both of them on OmniFocus 1.10.2? I appreciate that this means I'll have to live with the Mail issue on the Mountain Lion one, but presumably if I did upgrade both, the result would be a Mail problem on the Lion one.

Similarly, do you have any opinion on whether I should keep both systems on Lion? I am thinking of replacing the older of my Macs but not until the next iMacs come out.

Thanks for your help,
William

felixc 2012-08-03 05:08 AM

Similar use case

+1. I'm in a similar situation with three Macs (only 1 upgradeable), an iphone, and an iPad.

The release notes for the OF update to 1.10.3 didn't mention a change to the db but it's wise to ask.

Lizard 2012-08-03 08:40 AM

As Felixc said, it's reasonable to be hesitant about syncing different versions together.

1.10.2 and 1.10.3 should be able to sync with each other just as well as two machines running 1.10.2 would. There were no intentional changes to anything in the database format or syncing code.

Whether or not you should run Mountain Lion yet depends on too many things for me to really give you advice. Some people love to use the new shiny right away. Other people prefer to wait until the first bug fix release after the major OS (ie 10.8.1). You might also consider whether it would annoy you to have your 2 computers running different OSes and behaving slightly differently as you switch back and forth.

WilliamGallagher 2012-08-03 12:53 PM

Thanks. I have been and thought I always would be the shiny penny type but for once I've been too busy to update. But I won't hold back now solely because of OmniFocus.

Ken Case 2012-08-03 03:43 PM

[QUOTE=WilliamGallagher;113285]I have two Macs and only one of them can be upgraded to Mountain Lion. Is it better to leave both of them on OmniFocus 1.10.2? I appreciate that this means I'll have to live with the Mail issue on the Mountain Lion one, but presumably if I did upgrade both, the result would be a Mail problem on the Lion one.[/QUOTE]

OmniFocus 1.10.3 supports Snow Leopard (10.6), Lion (10.7), and Mountain Lion (10.8); I'd recommend upgrading both your Macs to the latest version of OmniFocus, and then your copies of OmniFocus will be ready for Mountain Lion whenever you (and your Macs) are.

korm 2012-08-04 03:22 AM

[Drop this post]

Lizard 2012-08-06 12:27 PM

Hmm... the release notes are intended to match what Ken said. (In other words, 10.7 is still supported.) Can you help me understand what seems inconsistent to you? Would it be clearer to replace "previous versions of Mac OS X" with "10.6.7 and earlier"?