The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus for iPad (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Can't see Perspectives in sidebar (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=17025)

RobertF 2010-07-31 06:46 AM

Can't see Perspectives in sidebar

I was excited to read here about perspectives being available in the sidebar. Then, I tried to see them there...no luck whatsoever. After a little research, I thought it was because I was syncing via MobileMe (though MobileMe syncing should store perspective information: hint-hint), so I changed my syncing to OmniFocus for Mac. After performing that sync a couple of times, there's still no Perspectives on my sidebar.

To clarify: I don't see an item labeled Perspective on my sidebar at all.

What am I missing?

curt.clifton 2010-07-31 08:17 AM

The sync mechanism (whether MobileMe or whatever) has nothing to do with it. Do you have any context-mode perspectives set up in OF on the Mac? Only context mode perspectives can be used on the iPad. Are you at the top level in the sidebar?

RobertF 2010-07-31 08:44 AM

I have a context mode perspective set up on the Mac. I'm at the top level of the sidebar: it shows Projects, Contexts, Map, Forecast, Flagged and Review

UPDATE: That was weird: I went in and clicked on each perspective on the Mac. The next sync pulled the perspectives onto the iPad. I'll chalk it up to a bit of syncing weirdness for now.

pmdf 2010-07-31 09:57 AM

I had similar weirdness. Although I already had context mode perspectives set up on the Mac version, I had to create a new perspective and then sync before Perspectives showed up in my sidebar. Possible bug?

curt.clifton 2010-07-31 12:12 PM

[QUOTE=pmdf;82034]I had similar weirdness. Although I already had context mode perspectives set up on the Mac version, I had to create a new perspective and then sync before Perspectives showed up in my sidebar. Possible bug?[/QUOTE]

Definitely sounds like it. Be sure to use Contact Omni in the gear menu to report it. (It will be a challenging bug to track down, since most people aren't seeing it. So anyone who has seen it should definitely report it.)

pmdf 2010-07-31 01:37 PM

Have notified OG as advised.

Do most of you see Perspectives in the sidebar right from the initial installation or first sync then?

whpalmer4 2010-07-31 02:45 PM

I just wiped my database off the iPad and set up a dummy database in a new user on my Mac (the default "Welcome to OmniFocus on the Mac" database). When I configured the iPad to sync with the Mac, it synced fine, collected the Mac's database as directed, but did not show the Perspectives item in the sidebar. I then created a new perspective in context mode, synced the Mac, synced the iPad, and the Perspectives item showed up in the sidebar without a hitch, containing perspectives named Contexts, Due, Flagged, Completed, and Tickler (the last one being the one I created).

Wiping the database again, then syncing my standard database (which does have context mode perspectives that I created) caused it to work properly from the initial sync.

It seems like creating a new context mode perspective on the Mac and syncing should get things rolling. I was able to delete that new perspective, sync again, and retain the stock perspectives.

Perhaps there is some initialization hiccup that causes no perspectives to be synced to a fresh copy of OmniFocus for iPad if you only have the factory perspectives, or only have project mode perspectives in addition to the factory set.

bhughes 2010-08-01 01:08 PM

[QUOTE=whpalmer4;82093]I just wiped my database off the iPad and set up a dummy database in a new user on my Mac (the default "Welcome to OmniFocus on the Mac" database). When I configured the iPad to sync with the Mac, it synced fine, collected the Mac's database as directed, but did not show the Perspectives item in the sidebar. I then created a new perspective in context mode, synced the Mac, synced the iPad, and the Perspectives item showed up in the sidebar without a hitch, containing perspectives named Contexts, Due, Flagged, Completed, and Tickler (the last one being the one I created).

Wiping the database again, then syncing my standard database (which does have context mode perspectives that I created) caused it to work properly from the initial sync.

It seems like creating a new context mode perspective on the Mac and syncing should get things rolling. I was able to delete that new perspective, sync again, and retain the stock perspectives.

Perhaps there is some initialization hiccup that causes no perspectives to be synced to a fresh copy of OmniFocus for iPad if you only have the factory perspectives, or only have project mode perspectives in addition to the factory set.[/QUOTE]
What about those of us that do not have Omnifocus for Mac? Are we not able to have perspectives on the iPad?

wlow 2010-08-02 07:16 AM

I want to add that I saw this same behavior. I had a Perspective on the Mac and it did not show up on the iPad app but it did in the iPhone app so I knew it *should* show up. Omni ninja said to do a reset (didn't help) but then I decided to create a 2nd perspective and that did the trick. Both showed up on the next sync. Must be a bug.

DerekM 2010-08-02 11:06 AM

On the iPad, the perspectives sidebar item will only show up if you create a custom context mode perspective on the Mac. There are context mode perspectives in the default database on the Mac but those will not appear on the iPad unless a custom one is created as for the most part they're all duplicates of built-in sidebar items. So this could explain your need to create a new perspective first.