The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniWeb Feature Requests (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   "New Tab" - toolbar item (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=12891)

andreas_g 2009-06-28 01:52 AM

"New Tab" - toolbar item

It would be great having a toolbar item that opens a new, empthy tab.

I think this could improve the workflow quite a little bit, when using tabs.

At the moment to open a new tab i have to choose "New Tab" from the File-menue or hit apple+T. But most times when surfing i am just using the mouse, without much typing, so a keyboard shortcut interupts my workflow a little bit.

Opening a tab via File-menue is not the fastest way either (otherwise most toolbar items would be just unnecessary). So a "New Tab" toolbar item, that does exactly the same as "apple+T", would be great!

xiamenese 2009-06-28 07:40 AM

Have you tried the "gear" menu at the top of the tab drawer?

Mark

Jeff Charles 2009-06-28 02:07 PM

Try Cocoa Suite. You can use it to define a mouse gesture for any menu item.

whpalmer4 2009-06-28 06:41 PM

What are you going to do with an empty tab? You're going to load a page in it, right? Why not do both operations at the same time by simply dragging the link you want to open to the tab drawer?

Brian 2009-06-29 08:11 AM

If you have a mouse with a scroll wheel, you can press down on the wheel (a "middle-click") and OmniFocus will open the link you click in a new tab.

Alternatively, you can set OmniWeb to respond to a command-click in the same manner, using the "Tab & Window" pane of preferences.

Either of those help?

Scalpel 2009-07-03 02:57 PM

I would like this [url=http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=254]feature[/url] too.

andreas_g 2009-07-05 09:24 AM

whpalmer4, thanks for the hint!

I now type the adress i want to open into the adress-field of the currently open window and drag the adress via its favicon to the tab drawer. This opens the adress in a new tab! Just great! Didn't know about this feature yet.

When i want to open a link in a new tab i currently use command-click (klicking the scrollball, also known as "middle click" is configured to open spotlight)

Now there is just one thing, that disturbs me. The tab drawer is not open by default. It openes when i make the second tab and it closes when there is just one tab open (i think i read there is a hidden prefernce to prevent it from doing this). It would be great to have a (non-hidden) preference to change this behavior.

andreas_g 2009-07-05 09:34 AM

Another idea came up just now!

Wouldn't it be great to be able to do this:

- write the adress i want to visit into the adress-field of a browser window
- click a toolbar item called "Open in new tab", which opens the adress i just typed into the adress-field in a new, active tab (and makes the tab drawer visible if it is not already visible)

This would greatly improve workflow when working with tabs! It would eliminate problems with closed tab drawers (as discribed in my last post) and it would not concurrent with the new feature, that closes the tab drawer, when just one tab is open.

At the moment, when i want to open an adress in a new tab from a window with closed tab drawer i have to do this:
Open the tab drawer via its toolbar item or via "View"-menue, type the adress into the adress field and drag it to the drawer and click it to activate
OR
hit "command + T" or choose "New Tab" from the "File" menue and write the adress and hit enter to load it

The discribed item could also be inegrated into the adress bar to unite things that belong together. This saves a lot of "mouse-moving" and clicking.

It would be great if it was also availiable via keyboard shortcut, "command + enter" would be my favorite.

troyb 2009-07-06 08:36 AM

andreas_g: Using Command-Return in the address field should do what you're asking for right now.

sculwell 2009-07-06 12:29 PM

[QUOTE=andreas_g;61853]It would be great having a toolbar item that opens a new, empthy tab.

I think this could improve the workflow quite a little bit, when using tabs.

At the moment to open a new tab i have to choose "New Tab" from the File-menue or hit apple+T. But most times when surfing i am just using the mouse, without much typing, so a keyboard shortcut interupts my workflow a little bit.

Opening a tab via File-menue is not the fastest way either (otherwise most toolbar items would be just unnecessary). So a "New Tab" toolbar item, that does exactly the same as "apple+T", would be great![/QUOTE]

Does this seriously interrupt you all that much? I mean, really, it's two key presses and takes less than one second. Aren't there much more pressing matters for the OmniWeb designers to focus their efforts on than this?