The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniGraffle General (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Mouse clicks in Omnigraffle window ignored (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=13857)

bscashman 2009-09-14 08:33 AM

Mouse clicks in Omnigraffle window ignored

Several times recently running v 5.2 (v138.9.0.117994) on OS X v 10.5.8 I've had a strange thing happen. I can't reproduce this problem and when it's happened I've been doing different things. Today, after working on a picture for some time I copied and pasted some text then tried to move the pasted text by pressing the up arrow key. I'd already done this same thing several times previously.

When this problem occurs the cursor turns into a closed fist or hand. I can't find any description of this icon in the documentation so I suppose this may not be an Omnigraffle problem but it only affects Omnigraffle (I can switch to other applications that continue to work). What happens then is that I can't click on anything inside any Omnigraffle window. I can move the window around but clicks inside it are ignored. For the most part Omnigraffle menu items still work using the mouse. I can e.g. open and close Inspectors but saving or closing the open window has no effect. CPU is nothing out of the ordinary.

Today during this problem I used the menu to create a new canvas and got a spinning wheel cursor and nearly 100% CPU so I force quit. I should mention that when this happens the only way I've found to get out of this is to force quit.

Has this happened to anyone else?

xiamenese 2009-09-14 03:52 PM

I had a somewhat similar experience a couple of years ago. I traced it to a fault in the mouse where the contact was slow to release and it would randomly send double instead of single clicks. Might that be your problem.

bscashman 2009-09-15 04:34 AM

I'll check this the next time it happens but the best that I can tell this occurs only in Omnigraffle windows and not in any others. Thanks for the response.

diag 2010-03-27 05:25 AM

I also have the fist problem

That is, my mouse pointer switches to a fist, and I can no longer control the application and need to force quit. This has happened three times in twenty-four hours. There is nothing wrong with my mouse.

Can someone please explain how to get out of fist mode? Or, if it is a bug, if it is documented? I am surprised there don't seem to be more posts on this, for if this is a bug it makes the application very unreliable.

Brian 2010-03-29 03:51 PM

Diag, it sounds like the Hand tool is getting activated - it turns into a fist when it "Grabs" the canvas so you can scroll it around on screen.

If you check the tool preferences, what hot key has been assigned to that tool? Maybe that key is getting pressed and/or the drivers for the mouse are triggering some sort of macro that causes the tool to activate?